U/G/? Treshold

M

Modus Pwnens

Since I acquired a fourth Tarmogoyf last week, I'm going to build a legacy Treshold deck. As i've come to understand, certain members appreciate deckbuilding discussions, so here it is.

I'm still in doubt whether to go for a red or white splash.

I don't like double-splashing, but prefer to commit myself to one of them.

Here are some sample lists, any input about possible cards I could include, as well as your preference of white over red or visa versa would be appreciated. (and no, even though I play red, Dwarven Pony is not an option, I'd like a competative tier 1 deck).

U/G/w Treshold

creature [10]
2 Mystic Enforcer
4 Nimble Mongoose
4 Tarmogoyf

instant [20]
4 Brainstorm
4 Daze
4 Force of Will
4 Predict
4 Swords to Plowshares

sorcery [4]
4 Ponder

enchantment [3]
3 Counterbalance

artifact [6]
3 Pithing Needle
3 Sensei's Divining Top

land [17]
3 Flooded Strand
1 Forest
1 Island
2 Polluted Delta
4 Tropical Island
4 Tundra
2 Windswept Heath

Sideboard:
1 Mystic Enforcer
3 Krosan Grip
1 Stifle
4 Chill
1 Counterbalance
3 Engineered Explosives
2 Vedalken Shackles

Or without top/balance:

creature [11]
3 Meddling Mage
4 Nimble Mongoose
4 Tarmogoyf

instant [22]
4 Brainstorm
4 Counterspell
3 Daze
4 Force of Will
3 Mental Note
4 Swords to Plowshares

sorcery [4]
4 Serum Visions

artifact [5]
2 Engineered Explosives
1 Pithing Needle
2 Vedalken Shackles

land [18]
2 Flooded Strand
1 Forest
1 Island
1 Plains
3 Polluted Delta
1 Savannah
4 Tropical Island
3 Tundra
2 Windswept Heath

Sideboard:
2 Blue Elemental Blast
3 Stifle
2 Energy Flux
3 Threads of Disloyalty
3 Pithing Needle
2 Tormod's Crypt

As opposed to:

U/G/r Treshold

creature [8]
4 Nimble Mongoose
4 Tarmogoyf

instant [30]
4 Brainstorm
4 Daze
4 Fire / Ice
4 Force of Will
4 Lightning Bolt
1 Rushing River
4 Spell Snare
4 Stifle
1 Wipe Away

sorcery [4]
4 Ponder

land [18]
3 Flooded Strand
2 Polluted Delta
4 Tropical Island
4 Volcanic Island
4 Wasteland
1 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:
2 Trygon Predator
3 Krosan Grip
2 Pyroblast
2 Red Elemental Blast
1 Teferi's Response
3 Pyroclasm
2 Engineered Explosives

Which one do you prefer, and why?

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Well, if you insist... [;)]

I'm just going to refer to these threads. If you run counterbalance/top is more a question of how random your meta is, I think. If you expect to play mirror matches a lot, countertop should be nice. Beating random crap is a lot harder. I wouldn't run shackles: the deck functions on only a few lands, and shackles is good with a lot of lands. Just a preference though. I'd go with any 4 waste/4 stifle build. That's brutal.

M

Modus Pwnens

Thanks, but I get the feeling that info is a little bit outdated (no mentions of Balance/Top or Tarmogoyf).

I think I'll play some games with the UGr build, just to see how it feels. I'm a bit worried about the basicless build though, but I guess the stifle's will make up for it.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Outdated? Looking at the dates I'd say these are still the current threads.
The Source is the prime source for anything related to legacy. It would be a great site if it weren't for their harsh moderator regime. Even all the people from TMD migrated to the Source.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry Modus, I just have no experience with that deck or what it might face to offer any advice :(

B

Budget Player Cadet

Threshold? There, I can only recommend hunting grounds and mystic snake. But it looks like a solid deck, and I am not going to say what came to my mind reading that first line (I HATE YOU!!!!).

M

Modus Pwnens

BPC, you really don't want to know what I had to give up for it.. It'd better be worth it, but I think it's safe to assume it is :).

I'm not a huge fan of Counter/Top, for several reasons.
-It's something that can take quite a lot of resources to set up and protect at the same time, which is something I do not want.
-In mirrormatches it's often about who sets up the engine first, and when I have won the war to counter my opponents balance, I'll have very little left to play/protect my own.
-It takes up so much deckspace, which could be used by different cards as well.
-It's not fun. Although it's a strong deck, I mainly play casual, and Counter/Top isn't fun to play against.

Hunting grounds isn't efficient, as it costs two mana, while all my creatures cost either one or two (apart from fledging dragon). Mystic Snake is 4, so entirely out of the question.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Trickbind? It's only 2cc, but has the ability to shut combos down for that turn, unlike Stifle.