Two mini-blocks for Magic

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Not sure yet. It sounds like they are trying to tie in the 4th set into a block. This may make the sets better, or we'll be overloaded with filler cards.
Does this mean that the new bas sets will be the 5th set of the year?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
No, they're still sticking to 4 sets per year. This just takes the place of the Un sets or basic sets in the past (this is for Sept 2007 - Aug 2008).

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Sounds to me like they are trying to change the marketing to boost sales of the "4th" set of the year. I believe that sales for these have historically been sub-optimal.
I questioned the base set, because they may continue with this past 2008. That's the tone I got from the article.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think there's always going to be a base set. But it's what, every other year? So they need the "fourth" set for those "off" years. Before it's been the Un sets, but I guess they're stopping those (or don't have any in the pipeline for the near future) so hence, the "mini-block". I think it's always going to be an option if they don't have another choice for the fourth set, so yeah, I'm pretty sure it'll be seen in the future.

E

Ephraim

I think they're just keeping their options open. Some years, we may get two mini-blocks, some years, we may get an UNset or a Coldsnap. The more options that WotC has in their playbook, the better the game will be, in my opinion.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ephraim said:
I think they're just keeping their options open. Some years, we may get two mini-blocks, some years, we may get an UNset or a Coldsnap. The more options that WotC has in their playbook, the better the game will be, in my opinion.
I don't think you will ever see a "Coldsnap" set again, it's numbers were so bad that I bet it prompted the mini-block.

E

EricBess

I'm sure they feel it is a great idea that will "shake things up". Personally, I wasn't happy when Coldsnap was announced to be tournament legal because I simply don't have time or interest in trying to keep up with that many sets per year.

I think that historically, sales of the 4th set each year have been lower than other sets. They accept that the base set isn't going to sell as much as a normal expansion, but they are looking for ways to make the 4th set sell better. First step was making Coldsnap tournament legal. Now, they make the 4th set tournament legal in even more formats and simply more important in general.

I also had someone comment on the quality of rares in 10th edition, which makes me wonder if they intentionally beefed it up a bit to make it sell better as well.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the concept. But things are really becoming more and more skewed for people that don't have family commitments.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
At least they are tying the new sets together..... Coldsnap was the worst idea ever. This just means that I have to do 4 pre-releases each year, instead of 3..... dang.....

N

Nightstalkers

Coldsnap up here was actually quite hillarious. One of the local shop owners started believing that IceAge and not Coldsnap were T2 legal...

Other than that, out of place sets really don't get much praise unless they are wacky (unglued), or have a special little tie in with other sets... Say... a set that might embody the idea of the current timeline/plane being attacked by some outside force.

T

train

I like the idea - but am not sure how it will hit the market overall... looking at it from both ways casual and non-casual - I'm glad there are more mechanics, etc... and each has its own theme...

D

DarthFerret

At first I liked the idea...but now that I consider it, I think maybe they might be making a mistake. If you have 2 big blocks a year, that is gonna stretch the financial base of the consumer who likes to keep up with Type 2. A large block takes considerably more money to obtain the cards in it that you want. A smaller block is a whole lot less expensive to obtain the playsets. As for Pre-Releases, it may actually bolster them by having 2 big sets, initially, however, the second one (Jelly) may have a sligtly smaller attendence. Not sure on that one.

Overall, I think that maybe we will have to wait and see how the community at large will react to all of this. They may actually surprise us.

T

train

It'll probably add up to a total near the "normal" 4-set total that has been coming out... This allows for production to maintain their processes, etc...

I'm guessing both large and small will be the same as they are now... If it differs, probably something similar to Ice Age, Alliances card numbers...