true story

J

Jakeman

(hi i'm new)

When I was in 7th grade (1993) I used to stop by the local card shop after school. One day there was a guy in there with a plastic sleeve of 9 black lotus cards. He wanted to sell the whole sheet for $100. I happened to have $100 cash at home that I got as a christmas gift that year. But I decided not to buy them.

Hindsight...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome!

I don't think anyone knew back when the game was first released how popular or expensive some cards would be. I came in at Revised, and people were still trading duals for commons like Fireball or Lightning Bolt :)

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
I started playing in '95 or so, by then Black Lotus already was an expensive card. But I did buy 4 Tarmogoyfs for 2 euro's each ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Heh, after I read about Zak Dolan's victory in the first World Championships in the Duelist, I wanted to re-create his deck. Then I found out how "expensive" his cards were... so I decided to just get one, a Library of Alexandria for $20 :)

T

train

Welcome Jakeman... been around many of these transactions over the years... similar to the lotus was a gentleman selling a set of 4 Juzams for $75. But Juzam was a beefcake at the time, and worth waaaayyyyy more than a lotus.