Trampling Cho-Manno

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Duel, Apr 14, 2000.

1. Duel Has Less Posts Than Spiderman

Does trample damage go through Cho-manno? Does my Yavimaya wurm still deal four to the guy?
  2. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

Yeah, your Wurm does it's trample damage. Cho-Manno reduces damage assigned to it from a non-Lava Burst (inside joke for people who know the rules TOO well) source to 0. So, the Wurm, following the rules for trample, assigns damage equal to the blocker's toughness (in this case, 2) to the blocker. It assigns the remaining 4 to the defending player.

Once damage is assigned, Cho-Manno gets mad, and says 'You can't do that, I don't wanna take damage!' So the damage on Cho-Manno is reduced to 0. The damage already assigned to the player doesn't change, though, so they get to take their 4.

(Fog Bank is different, it doesn't recieve ANY damage, so all the damage tramples through there.)

"Which is why no one plays Fog Bank anymore..."
  3. Legend Master New Member

Actually, trampling damage does NOT go through Cho-Manno. Trample works like this: Whenever the trampling creature assigns combat damage, lethal damage MUST be dealt to the blocking creature by the trampler, THEN the excess power of the trampler hits the opponent. Since all damage dealt to Cho-Manno is reduced to zip, zero, and nada, he absorbs all damage done by the trampler and protects the defender from any damage. Just like Uncle Istvan.
  4. Mordecai New Member

Legend Master, you are mistaken. Lethal damage assignment *assumes* no other effects. It ignores protection from a color, it ignores damage prevention shields, it ignores everything except toughness. You have to assign enough damage to kill the creature without any outside effects coming into play. You can choose to deal more, but the minimum is only the creature's toughness.
  5. Mordecai New Member

Also, Zadok, Fog Bank has been rewritten under 6th Edition (Oracle wordings) to be the same as Cho-Manno, but only for combat damage.

Fog Bank (1U), 0/2
    Flying.
    Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to and dealt by Fog Bank.
  6. Gizmo Composite: 1860

Mordecai is right, you take some damage - same as with Protection creatures.
    I didn`t know that Fog Bank was errataed.
  7. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

Neither did I! Neato! Now I can play the thing again...

"Sucky cards, unite!"
  8. Istanbul Sucker MCs call me sire.

Sucky card?? I love Fog Bank!

"Nice Morphling you got there. *yawn*"
  9. arhar Member

Hey!!!

I never thought about this!!!

Lava Burst CAN kill Cho-Manno. Why am I not playing with this card in my Multi red deck?

To paraphrase Instanbul...

Nice Righteous Aura you got there. *yawn*

Nice Orim, Sucky Healer you got there. *yawn*

Nice HONORABLE PASSAGE you got there. *yawn*

:)