tournies

S

sorcerer

I was reading the rules for magic tournies, you know official ones, why the heck did they make it so confusing. I mean certain expansions rotate in others rotate out, how the heck are you supposed to know if your deck is completely legal? Why didn't they just make it so that when they make a new expansion a month later cards from that expansion can be played in it period.

Destiny,chance,fate,fortune-they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures.
-Gerrard of the Weatherlight

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
You know, sorcerer, I said the same thing a few years ago, when they started this whole "type X" nonsense, and it hasn't gotten any better since then.

Trouble is, type 1 just hasn't been the same since the release of Urza's Saga. The power cards from that set, along with all the rest of it, have turned it into a format that is entirely too dependent on which player wins the coin flip. Given an adequate draw a good type 1 deck will crush you before you've managed to get 3 lands into play, and it will do it (probably) by playing solitaire with itself for 20 minutes.

It's not much fun to be on the receiving end of that. :(

I agree with you though, that I hate that sinking feeling I get whenever an older block of cards rotates out of type 2, and leaves me with a handful of just so much useless cardboard, or when a new set of bannings/restrictions/errata gets issued.

It can get irritating, to say the least.

I think the answer may be the new Extended. I still disagree with the way WotC went about announcing it, but the more I think about it, and play it, the more I realize that what they did, by removing every single power card and all the support cards as well (with the notable exception of the dual lands :D ), was they made it a FUN format again.

Fun is good, says I. ;)

I still say it would have been better to JUST remove the power cards, but it is a lot better now than it was a year ago. At a time when things have been going from bad to worse a lot in the Magic community I guess we should be happy with ANY improvements.

Besides, as Ferret likes to say, when you're playing with your friends you don't need to worry about any of that. Just have everyone agree ahead of time what's legal and what isn't, and have a good time together!

TomB
CPA Member

"I do not teach. I simply reveal."
-Daudi, Femeref tutor