[Torment] Reborn Hero question

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Jigglypuff, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Reborn Hero
    R, Creature - Soldier, 2W, 2/2
    Attacking doesn't cause Reborn Hero to tap.
    Threshold - When Reborn Hero is put into a graveyard
    from play, you may pay WW. If you do, return Reborn
    Hero to play under your control

Okay, if there were 6 cards in my graveyard and this guy gets killed, can I use his ability?

Thanks
    (- Steve --)
  2. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Good question.

At the time Reborn Hero actually leaves play, it does not have its threshold ability, so it won't trigger.
  3. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

That's what I figured, but I wanted to make sure.

I thought of another question now. If I had 6 cards in my graveyard and I bolted my own Hero, would I be able to return it?

Thanks
    (- Steve -)
  4. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Yes. The bolt resolves, giving you threshold when it goes to the graveyard. After that, the hero would die with its ability active.

Important reminder about threshold: You either have it or you don't. It's not triggered, does not use that stack, and does not wait for any amount of time before it causes threshold abilites to become active.
  5. rkoelsch Angel Boy

Okay it is my understanding that you determine the order that permanents are put in the graveyard. So say I have a Reborn Hero and Longbow Archer in play with 5 plains in play 3 untapped.
    I have zero cards in my graveyard. My Opponent plays Balancing Act saccing all their lands. In response I tap three lands. I play Orim's Chant. So my chant goes into the graveyard. Then I put the lands in first then the longbow archer. can I then use the threshold ability of the Reborn Hero?
  6. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

And to rkoelsch:

I don't think you can use the ability because even though you can order the cards any way you wish, the cards all went to the graveyard "at the same time". The Hero would look back in time to see whether he could trigger (same idea as Lifeline/Wrath of God), see that you did not have threshold, and would say "Sorry, I'm stuck in the graveyard."

(- Steve -)
  7. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

That's correct, Steve. When you sacrifice the cards for Balancing Act, you choose the ones you want to keep (usually zero, occasionally one :p) then sacrifice the rest all at once. At no time will some of the cards be in play while others are in the graveyard, so you can't give Reborn Hero thrshold this way.