too good...

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Korsantar, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Korsantar New Member

Blazing Salvo
    {R}
    Instant
    Blazing Salvo deals 3 damage to target creature unless that creature's controller has Blazing Salvo deal 5 damage to him or her.

this cant mean that it deals 3 damage to the creature then 5 to the player if they dont have one (how would you know if they had one anyhow?) all that for 1 mana just doesnt seem right. was this a misprint or somethin, how does this work? :confused:
  2. Ransac CPA Trash Man

You're right. I can't mean that.

What it means is that Blazing Salvo will deal 3 damage to any creature of your choice. That creature's controller may negate that ability for the cost of five damage dealt to their head.

So, in short:

Option 1: I deal three damage to your creature, or
    Option 2: You take 5 damage
    You pick.

Ransac, cpa trash man
  3. Korsantar New Member

cool, then it still rocks, either a volcanic hammer or lava axe at instant speed for one mana, they just get to pick their fate :D
  4. NorrYtt Casual Green Mage

Blazing Salvo is considered by most of the Magic community as unplayable in tournaments. It will not kill your opponent's 3rd turn Shadowmage Infiltrator, which can win the game on its own.

You need lots and lots of Punisher cards and burn to make it work. You are getting the worse of the two, so you want both options to be as bad as possible for your opponent.
  5. Thallid Ice Cream Man 21sT CeNTuRy sChIZoId MaN

...Unless you're good enough at mind games to make your opponent think that what he/she is picking is actually the better option when it's really the worse one.

But there must be a creature in play to use it... you can't just hit someone with no creatures for 5.
  6. BigBlue Magic Jones

Blazing Salvo = Fun card, or limited card.

Tourney constructed, it isn't useful enough, unless you have further burn to back it up, and then you've used 2 cards where you should have used 1.

Of course, late game if they can't take 5, it works just like a creature bolt, and it does take a quarter of their life at 20 if they keep it. Combine it with the other chaotic cards and you'll still have a weaker sligh than the unchaotic versions.

Skullscorch, Longhorn FB, Salvo, Firecat Blitz, Fiery Tempo?, Seizures, Rites of Initiation, Fledgling Dragon. It might work, but straight sligh would likely beat it.
  7. Notepad Seffy Sefro

I like playing direct damage, and there's no way I'd ever play Blazing Salvo outside of a punisher theme deck or a limited format. It's just way too weak to be used consistently. In play, I have found --despite its own shortcomings-- that even Strafe is a better card than Blazing Salvo.

Then again, if you can get your hands on any, pick up some Lightning Bolts. ;)
  8. Korsantar New Member

I use it in a blue/red deck that has most of my semi-decent red stuff, which isnt alot (big reason for all the variety :) )

3 volcanic hammers
    1 firebolt
    1 scorching lava
    1 violent eruption
    1 earthquake
    1 blaze
    1 blazing salvo
    a few big creatures like trained orgg, oh yeah, and I have three ember beasts in there, lol, they're kinda fun to use, real cheap.

the blue side isnt really impressive either, I've got one syncopate and one disrupt, weee. I really need to find me some more counterspells... I own one and it's in a different deck.

I've got a few other odd bits like some serpents that can only attack if your enemy has an island, and a bunch of stuff that can change lands like dream thrush, reef shaman and sea snidd. my only real suprise in the deck is a hibernation with a crystal spray, along with a blind seer (had to find a way to use him, he's one of my two rare foils :D) that changes things to the right color so hibernation makes em go away, and it's kinda nice when my friend plays a dark banishing or something similiar. it isnt a tournament worthy deck by any means, but its cool to play with, and lets me try out my U/R multi cards that ive never used before like quicksilver dagger, that ive only managed to draw once...

primary red cards (which all kinda suck) and all the blues I didnt want in my other deck :)
  9. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

This sounds like a case where Zadok would list a scenario when you would WANT to use Blazing Salvo (aside from the player being at 5 or less life already, obviously) :)
  10. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

How about this:

You're playing U/R/W Second Chance. You have the Second Chance and Hanna in play, but your opponent refuses to deal damage to you (you're at 9). This is the critical turn; your opponent is waiting to kill you with two Thorn Elementals unless you can get your engine going. He's also tapped some of your lands with his Opposition on your upkeep and you didn't even think to draw mana and burn. You draw a Time Warp. You see an opening, but you decide to do it with a little more class. You cast the Time Warp, and then Blazing Salvo on Hanna. You elect to take 5 instead of killing Hanna, putting you at 4. You take your TW turn and take many many turns and win.

That's the best I can think of.
    (- Steve -)
  11. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

That's actually a good case for using it on yourself, period, but I'm thinking of it's more traditional use for on your opponent :)
  12. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Okay, here's a situation where your opponent would choose to take 5.

Both you and your opponent have 4 Repercussions in play. You play the Salvo targeting your opponents only creature. Just for kicks, let's say it was a Jackal Pup. If your opponent let the damage go to the Pup, he or she would pretty much get his or her butt kicked (27 damage, if my math is correct). They would probably choose to only take 5.

(- Steve -)
  13. Notepad Seffy Sefro

Strangely enough, as confusing as these spells are to beginners, they never cease to be the main component of newbie direct damage decks on MTGO...

go figure
  14. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Wow, I completely forgot about those two posts. Wow, that thread was a year old.

(- Steve -)
  15. Notepad Seffy Sefro

So now that you've been reminded, are ya gonna build those decks to make sure you get the opponent to do what you want? :D ;)
  16. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Thought that was what control decks were for.
  17. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

It is. Look back through the Decks forum for my Future Sight/Zur's Weirding deck.

(- Steve -)