To Arms!

Read below, then choose.

• Yes! I want Jaya back!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flavor text sucks. Focus on the game.

• Jaya Ballard? Is that one of the Nine Titans? I wanna foil Jaya!

• Total voters
H

Hetemti

http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/expandsub.php?Article=1341

Inferno, like Mahamoti Djinn, has the classic flavor text:

"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead." -Wandering Mage

Ah, good old Jaya Ballard, Task Mage... Wait, wait a second... Wandering Mage? WANDERING MAGE?

They killed Jaya Ballard. They killed Jaya Ballard! This is by far the worst thing to ever happen to Magic - Jaya Ballard is gone, gone to the big Task Mage Assembly in the sky.
THIS WILL NOT STAND!

Of all the characters in Magic, Jaya Ballard is the only one who's worthy of omnipresence in our flavor text! She (?) is a hero to all Red magi, personifying all who hate Blues aquatic nastinees with her bitting quips and commentary.

I hereby begin a petition. All who want Jaya to be returned to our flavor texts post here. Should we get enough names, I'll email the list of people to WotC along with a link here to WizCo.

Jaya was there for you when you had to Incinerate that Mother of Runes. Are you going to turn your back to her now?

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

2. Thallid Ice Cream Man

(Assuming you're at the number one spot.)

Teaching all these beginning players that they don't know everything about the Magic story as soon as they start buying 7th Ed. is essential. Every Magic player has to go through this. Ascribing a good piece of flavor text to some "Wandering Mage" to patronize newer players is not a good way to do this.

I

Istanbul

3. Istanbul

Jaya Ballard rules.
Jaya Ballard always ruled.
Jaya Ballard ruled back in ALLIANCES.
And this is a blue mage speaking.

A

Apollo

3. Apollo

Ack! The creator of my favorite line ever is gone! It's a good thing you noticed this, Hetemti. We must stop the evil that they are doing to our game. This is a cause for the CPA! Attack!

"Anybody want some... toast?"
-Jaya Ballard, Task Mage.

E

ErinPuff

5. ErinPuff

Just because Jaya's much better than Gerrard. :)

L

Lotus Mox

the funny thing is, the german 7th Inferno still mentions Jaya Ballard.

"Manche sagen, dass reine Zerstörung keinen Spaß macht. Weißt du was? Sie sind alle tot."
-Jaya Ballard, Magier für alle Fälle

H

Hetemti

Another reason why Germany is cool. Despite high gas prices.

Shall I add you to the petition?

T

terzarima

What's this? A call to arms? Oh wait... its just about Jaya... JAYA!!! Man, Jaya has some serious style, I am tad pissed that wizards killed her, I mean, she's a planeswalker for gods sake!!! You can quote them till the end of time!!!

7.? Maybe 8 or 9!!!

Sign me up!!

G

Goku

Hell, just being in Ice Age made Jaya Ballard cool.
Not to mention all of those great quotes..

\

F

FoundationOfRancor

Actually, Jaya and Jodah are my two favorite Magic characters after reading the awesome Ice Age novels...

Did you know Jaya's now a planeswalker!?

Just another reason to put her quotes back in!!!

G

Goku

Hey... where can I get my hands on the Ice Age novels?
I didn't even know they existed.

H

Hawaiian mage

Uhh... yeah. I thought the Jaya flavor texts where pretty good. Go Jaya. Yay.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Goku: As far as I know, there availible in all bookstores...

I forgot what the first one was called, but the second was The Eternal Ice, and the third, The Shattered Alliance.

All of them are by Jeff Grubb.

H

Hawaiian mage

Yeah, the books were great.

Hey, everyone, I've spoken with Jeff Grubb! Online of course, but who cares! I was projected into his presence! Hwaa ha ha ha!

God... I should stop staying up so late...

C

Chaos Turtle

11, 12, & 13

All three of my dominant personalities are thoroughly annoyed by the rewriting of history that has taken away the classic names from the flavor texts of 7th edition cards.

Is it not enought hat they're stupidifying the base set? Now they must make the flavor text as bland as posible too?

N

Necrosavant

Jaya!
It just isn't the same without her.
Sign me on the petition!

D

Dead

Count me in... Jaya Ballard flavour text is great, and the single reason i bothered to read one of the magic novels (Shattered alliance) was because Jaya becomes a planeswalker in it.
Considering how infuriated most people have become with Gerrard and friends, i suppose it made sense to try and keep the base set away from character specific art or text- but in that case, generate new flavour text for the cards rather than attributing them to generic characters- what's worse is text attributed to "the elvish champion" as if there's only one- though it ain't a legend.
Solutions? If you're a trader, offer to exchange non-jaya flavour text stuff for the genuine article when trading to newbies to keep the legend alive. Oh, and try and convince anyone who goes to the invitational to quote jaya in their card suggestion- though i doubt an actual jaya card would be accepted. On a more realistic level, build Jaya Ballard theme decks- only featuring cards with her flavour text, or spells which she distinctly uses in the novels (eg earthquake). Red mass destruction decks are always fun in multiplayer...