Tinder Wall Sacrificing Question

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Vomitonme, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Vomitonme New Member

Can you sacrifice Tinder Wall for the two red mana it provides the turn you cast it?

From what I understand, only tapping abilities/attacking are subject to summoning sickness and since Tinder Wall only requires sacrificing the card, it would be legal to do so.

Just wanted to see if my thought process was right or not.
  2. EricBess Active Member

You are correct. Since sacrificing Tinder Wall doesn't require it to tap, it is not subject to "summoning sickness".
  3. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Tinder Wall rules.

Tag Guard
  4. BigBlue Magic Jones

Well, Tinder Wall is summon sick the turn it comes into play, it's just that it's sacrifice ability isn't subject to summon sickness... if you enchanted it with something which says: "Enchated creature gains T: Deal 1 point of damage to target creature or player." You couldn't tap it the turn it came in...

(Not that YOU didn't know that EB, but I would hate for someone to think otherwise).

BTW - in the new "PC" world of Wizards... is it still Summon Sick, even though they aren't Summon cards? Just curious...
  5. Oversoul The Tentacled One

212.3d - A creature's activated ability with the tap symbol in its activation cost can't be played unless the creature has been under its controller's control since the start of his or her most recent turn. A creature can't attack unless it has been under its controller's control since the start of his or her most recent turn. This rule is informally called the "summoning sickness" rule. Ignore this rule for creatures with haste (see Rule 502.5). [CompRules 2003/07/01]

I think that second-to-last sentence is ridiculous. They say "informally called summoning sickness" as though some players came up with the term because saying "A creature's activated ability with the tap symbol..." becomes tedious. But we all know that is not the case.

I suppose "bury" is "informal" too... :rolleyes:

Wow, I keep forgetting now...

Tag Guard
  6. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Screw the judges, "tourney" players, and everyone else. Call it summoning sickness because that's what they labelled it in the beginning and it fits into the game.

As for bury... they were getting wordywords are stupid, words are fun, words have always put me on the run...... So they decided to just replace it with the (in my opinion) better reminder text "cannot be regenerated."
  7. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Just curious, are you sure WOTC came up with summoning sickness? Was it a term in Alpha rules or something?

Tag Guard
  8. orgg Administrator

No, Summoning Sickness was first spelled out in Mirage as far as I can remember. It had been a slang term in The Duelist for quite some time, but until Mirage, it wasn't officially called "Summoning Sickness." "Haste" got rid of the "Unaffected by Summoning Sickness" wording.
  9. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

=====(@) Thwip!

Gotcha!

So it was part of the Mirage rules?

Tag Guard