time&stack

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by immortal grave walker, Aug 24, 2001.

1. I have a dominating licid in play. My opponant has a Phyrexian Plaguelord in play.

I actavate the licid. He responds by sacing a creature to the Plaguelord. What happens? Does the licid die?
  2. Rando Freaky Bear

Yes.

The PlaugeLord will give the licid -1/-1, as it resolves first the Licid will die due to a SBE before it's enchantment effect starts to resolve.
  3. EricBess Active Member

Well, Rando, that answer is only correct if you make an assumption not stated in the original question. Hate to be nit picky, but I can't tell you how many times I have nearly given a wrong answer because my assumption about the scenario wasn't correct.

There are 3 possibilities:

1. The opponent is saccing a random (non-mentioned) creature to give the Dominating Licid a -1/-1. In this case, Rando's answer is 100% correct.

2. The opponent is saccing a random creature to give a different creature a -1/-1. In this case, there is no affect on the Licid or the PlagueLord so the Licid will gain control of the PlagueLord after the -1/-1 effect resolves on the other creature.

3. The creature being sacrificed is the PlagueLord. If the target of the -4/-4 is the Licid, we go back to scenario 1. Otherwise, the target will no longer be availible when the Licid ability tries to resolve, so it will stay in play as a creature.

Did I miss anything?
  4. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

4. If the creature sacrificed was the Licid's target, to give any other creature -1/-1. In this case the Licid's ability is countered, but it doesn't die from that.

5. If the creature sacrificed was the Licid's target, to give the Licid -1/-1. Tthe Licid would die from the -1/-1 before it became an enchantment.