Thran Turbine

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by chocobo_cid, Jun 1, 2004.

1. chocobo_cid Thyme Devourer

Mana doesn't float out of phases, right?

If it doesn't, than the player is stuck with 0-2 mana burn at the end of the upkeep phase, right?
  2. train The Wildcard!!!...

no - it doesn't float out of phase - but it does float through steps...

300.3. When a phase ends (but not a step), any unused mana left in a player’s mana pool is lost. That player loses 1 life for each one mana lost this way. This is called mana burn. Note that mana burn is loss of life, not damage, so it can’t be prevented or altered by effects that affect damage. This game action doesn’t use the stack. (See rule 406, “Mana Abilities.”)

To answer the question - they would be losing 2 life if they didn't use the mana before the First Main Phase began...;)

there is no longer an upkeep phase...

The phases are Beginning, First Main, Combat, Second Main, End...

the steps are
    Beginning - untap, upkeep, draw
    First Main - main
    Comabt - beginning of combat, declaration of att, declaration of blk, combat damage assignment/resolution, end of combat
    Second Main - main
    End - end of turn, cleanup

;)
  3. chocobo_cid Thyme Devourer

Therefore, the Turbine is of incredibly limited use. (possibly a words of worship or something, I guess.)
  4. train The Wildcard!!!...

Actually - for turbine specifically - the ability is optional, so it only adds mana if they want it to...:)

And it's not limited use when you have plenty to do - artifact decks, etc...
  5. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Cumulative upkeep! :)
  6. train The Wildcard!!!...

good point spidey..

there are many things to do, but decks built around manipulating this might be fun...
  7. chocobo_cid Thyme Devourer

Perhaps a Voltaic Construct ( I think that's it, 2:untap target artifact creature) or key would be nice enough.
  8. Oversoul The Tentacled One

It helps Elemental Augery, which is cool...
  9. train The Wildcard!!!...

I used to run augury... but alas - it's blue, and now stinks...

use the turbine for token generators or decent abilities and it'll seem so great to have it there...;)