This isn't casual, but it uses Skyshroud Cutter!

D

Dune Echo

Has everyone heard of the 9 Land Green decks? Well, I've made up my own using Skyshroud Cutter and Vine Dryad for the fast creature starts. Check this out and let me know what you guys think. I swear that the Skyshroud Cutters just rock in this deck. I've been able to remove the penalty and beatdown on turn 3 for 12 points of trample damage. I once threw out 3 of them on turn one and then put Rancor, Giant Growth, and Briar Shield on them turn 2. I got more Giant Growths and I'm telling you, I beat them down in 5 turns after a 15 life drawback! Skyshroud Cutter is very under appreciated.

“9 Land Green (#3)”
Colors: Green
Created by: Kirsin Koch
Description/Theme: 9 land beatdown
Source: Personal
Tournament Format: N/A

Green:
4 Bounty of the Hunt
4 Briar Shield
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
4 Giant Growth
4 Land Grant
4 Mtenda Lion
4 Quirion Ranger
4 Rancor
3 River Boa
4 Rogue Elephant
4 Skyshroud Cutter
4 Skyshroud Elite
4 Vine Dryad

Lands:
9 Forest

Sideboard:
3 Skyshroud War Beast

I think the River Boa needs to be replaced. The regeneration ability is pretty much useless. It, along with Spectral Bears are good sideboard cards, but the sideboard needs other things in it. I'm tempted to replace Bounty of the Hunt with a couple Scents of Ivy and Seal of Strength. I can never cast it and I've tried Scent of Ivy before. It's really good at the beginning of the game.

D

Duel

Alright, I happen to recenlty have gotten into 9 land green, so I have a couple suggestions. 1 would be land grant. 2 would be scent of ivy, as you suggested. 3 because you are not going for type 2 legal, put in elvish spirit guide (the card is a 1 turn accelerator!)

D

DeathPitOffering

I like this deck! But can it be type II converted without losing its power?

D

Duel

Yes it can. Go with river boa's, albino trolls, might of oaks, and suchlike. Throw in seal of strength's as well.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I would think the Mights would be too expensive, and there's no real need with the Growths, Seals, and Scents. My question is whether things like Wild Dogs and Pouncing Jaguar would be good replacements for cards like Mtenda Lion and Rogue Elephant. Echo payment would slow you down a bit, but it might not be too bad and cycling the Dogs would get you deeper into your deck. I'd also look at Skyshroud Ridgeback as another possible replacement creature, and Vine Trellis for the Guides, to give you mana and provide some "D".

Why not use a Cradle or 2? Then you could afford to use things like the Mights, and pay echo more easily.

Just a thought.

TomB
CPA Member

D

DeathPitOffering

- 4 Skyshroud cutter
- 4 Giant Growth
- 4 Land grant
- 4 Rancor
- 4 River boa
- 4 Vine dryad
- 4 albino trolls
- 4 Skyshroud Ridgeback
- 4 Seal of strenght
- 3 Might of oaks
- 9 Forest
- 4 mm wall
Anything else thats cool?

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
How about Lyrists and Dogs? That'd fill in the other 8 slots. Enchantments can be pesky.

Oh, and Vine Trellis IS the MM mana wall.

TomB
CPA Member

D

Dune Echo

Duel: I'm confused. You said this: "I have a couple suggestions. 1 would be land grant. 2 would be scent of ivy, as you suggested. 3 because you are not going for type 2 legal, put in elvish spirit guide (the card is a 1 turn accelerator!)" Other than Scent of Ivy, I put all of those in my original decklist.

TomB: The problem with Cradles are you can't always count on them. You can't fetch them with Land Grant. You can't cast a creature on turn 1 without a creature in play already. In Type II, 2 Cradles would work. In Type 1.X, the Elvish Spirit Guides and such work just great instead and are a better choice.

If you're going to try the free creature route with Skyshroud Cutter and Vine Dryad, DON'T use Wild Dogs. Your opponent will crush you with your own creature if you enchant the thing at all. Also, the only echo creature I would use in Type II, is Pouncing Jaguar. River Boa's lack of upkeep cost compared to Albino Troll makes it much more desirable. Echo creatures do slow this deck down tremendously though.

D

Duel

Oh. I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the original decklist. But Elvish Berserker and Herders are good. Plus Ghazban Ogres (they're 2/2 Wild Dogs w/out cycling). And you're dead right about echo. Green makes great turn 2 manuevers