This is stupid but.... (web guys will get this)

N

Nightstalkers

It takes me 11 hops to get to www.casualplayers.org (209.151.**.***) when I'm out on my laplink. 5 of those get me through my internet mirrors (Indianapolis, Cincinatti, Denver, and area 23 when in US). Any thoughts on this? Any solutions on reducing lag?

Oh, and anyone tried Project Eden? I just picked it up at a computer "junk shop" when I was here in Ogden.

Nightstalker Lazarus

S

Svenmonkey

Well it takes me 30, apparently. Either that or this amazing ( :rolleyes: ) AOL service is screwing something up, since 29 of the requests time out and the one that remains is my AOL proxy.

I'll have to try it again when I'm on my school programming lab's T1 tomorrow.

N

Nightstalkers

Most of AOL's server requests will time out because of encoding and other stuff.

Something I picked up off the road one day when I was trying to find some information about an AOL member.

Nightstalker Exterra

R

Reverend Love

Svenmonkey, off the top of my head I can't tell you which ports tracert runs on but sometimes admins turn off ports on Routers which would explain your timeout.

Nightstalkers what do you care if it's going through 11 Hops (which isn't that much really)? By proof of your MORE then abundant posts those 11 hops aren't slowing you down at all.

P.S. A nifty tool you guys might like tinkering with is pingplotter or NeoTrace.

N

Nightstalkers

Remind me to take a welding torch to you when you finally get back Lazarus.

And remember folks, its not any fun until someones server crashes. :D

Nightstalker Exterra

S

Svenmonkey

The one with 29 timeouts was off of a 56K modem using AOL (AOL's probably the cause), and I'm (quite) the administrator of the computer.

I did get the same thing in school, though.

R

Reverend Love

Blocked Ports, Protocols, Firewalls setup to not reply...LOTS of stuff could be dropping your tracert.