This is for those cool judges.

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Nightstalkers, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Hey, whats the deal with cards? do you allow a guy to use a collectors edition card in lieu of a legal card? do they need to have card protectors to cover up the backs of them?

Just thought of this question because some judges are more strict than others.
  2. train The Wildcard!!!...

The way I'd rule it -
    -If you are playing sleeves, and have the original card -you must use it in the sleeves...
    -If the sleeve becomes marked - and all cards must be removed from sleeves - as there are no replacement sleeves available - and the card - when compared to the backs of others - is marked, then I would issue a proxy(this is extreme measure).
    -If the card is not considered marked - you suck it up, and begin shuffling...
    -I would not allow the player to use a special edition card.

Let me put it this way - After watching Hatter shuffle a lotus, force field, moxes, and eveything else in his all ALPHA deck - I don't care about someone whining about what shuffling can do to their cards... It's a game, not an investment - if it was an investment - the card would not be in the deck... it wouldn't be something you played with...

See below for the official business:

From the Floor Rules:

102. Authorized Cards
    Alpha cards (cards from the first print run of the basic set) may be used in decks containing non-Alpha cards only if all cards are placed in completely opaque sleeves and only if the sleeves could not be considered marked.

If sleeves are not used, Alpha cards may be used only in decks that consist exclusively of Alpha cards.

Participants may not use cards from any special-edition sets or supplements, such as Collector’s Edition, International Collector’s Edition, Pro Tour™ Collector Set, World Championship decks, or Unglued™ cards.

;) :cool:
  3. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

I just see people buying up the promotional set of alpha and or the collectors edition artist set of moxes just for playing.

Sure they don't have rounded corners, but they're still considered legal cards in T1 as long as you have the black case back protectors.

Man, gotta love Ultra-Pro.
  4. train The Wildcard!!!...

But they're not legal in type 1... All that is legal in Sanctioned play is what is discussed in Rule 102 above... Doesn't matter if you do or don't use sleeves...

For non-sanctioned play - yeah - use whatever you want... house rules, individual rules, whatever -but DCI - no promo cards...

I can see a judge issuing a proxy using a card like these if necessary - but it wouldn't be this judge(once certified...)...
  5. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

So you can't even use those neat'o promo DCI tokens for tokens?
  6. kriz_riktr Member

You can use anything as a token as long as it does not interrupt the game. Tokens are not part of your deck and are not really cards as defined by the rules of the game, so you can use the DCI promo token cards to represent token creatures.

Here is the definition of 'card' from the glossary of the comprehensive rules:

7. train The Wildcard!!!...

When I said no promo cards - I should have specified... Foil DCI promos yes, token cards(though not card) yes...

Moxen witha gold border - no... chaos orb - no...;) :cool:
  8. Killer Joe Active Member

What? Where can you get a collector's edition of moxes? I didn't know it exsisted.
  9. train The Wildcard!!!...

Search for them on the net...

They're everywhere!... And some are not cheap... so beware...
  10. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

I had to beat a guy over the head for one because I found it in a 25 cent bin.

Goodthing I'm good with the'ol stool over the head technique.