The Zubera Effect

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Captain Caveman, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Captain Caveman New Member

Ok, I've been playing around with a Zubera deck and I need to know the proper way to stack the effects. If they all go to the graveyard at the same time will it matter what order they are put into the grave?

Example: What order will get the best effect?(kind of subjective)

1. One of each color in play.

2. 2 Green, 2 Red, 2 Blue.

3. What would be the best way to sack them if I'm using Spawning Pit?

I hope thats clear enough to understand.

thanks

:confused:
  2. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

I hate to be a pain, but would you mind giving the ablities of the Zubera? That would make it a lot easier to give an opinion on the best order to stack the effects.

On the rules front, if they all go to the graveyard at the same time (from a Wrath effect, for example) the triggered ablities go on the stack in whatever order you choose. If they go in individually, (being sacrificed for an effect, for example) then each ability would go on the stack in the oprder you sacrificed them.
  3. Captain Caveman New Member

Sorry, didn't even think about it.

Black(discard; target player)
    Blue(draw a card)
    Green(put token in play)
    Red(damage; creature or player)
    white(gain two life)
  4. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

(Actually, I didn't know what was special about Zubera in the first place, but that's okay, "Gatherer" saves the day ;))

The triggered abilities count the number of Zubera that died when they resolve. So, if you want maximum effect, you just sacrifice one, then the others in turn before the first triggered ability resolves.

In this case, it is possible to draw 5 cards, gain 10 life, give yourself 5 1/1 Spirit tokens, deal 5 damage to a target, and make an opponent discard 5 cards, in whatever order turns you on. Then of course, you can sacrifice all of your Spirit tokens, then use 5 of your mana (and remove 10 charge counters from Spawning Pit) to put 5 2/2 Spawn tokens into play.

Does that answer your question?
  5. Ephraim New Member

Actually, to maximize the effect, I'm pretty sure they all have to go to the graveyard at exactly the same time. It was my understanding that as soon as one hits the graveyard and its effect triggers, it counts the number of Zubera to have died that turn and it locks that number in. I could be wrong about that, though. Somebody with more rules knowledge than I: Does the Zubera effect count the number of Zubera to have died when it triggers or when it resolves?

At any rate, I know for a fact that if three Zubera go to the graveyard at exactly the same time (Devouring Greed, Pyroclasm, Wrath of God), they'll all see three Zubera dying and their ability will happen three times.
  6. kriz_riktr Member

The number of of Zubera that have gone to the graveyard that turn it checked when the ability resolves.
  7. Rooser Thread Necromancer

Good to know - I didn't realize you could get maximum punch from a resusable sac effect. This make zubera decks even more fun!
  8. train The Wildcard!!!...

I guess I need to catch up...

Zubera?...
  9. Oversoul The Tentacled One

They're from COK and they are better than I originally realized, although still not amazing...

You can look them up on that Gatherer thing you were curious about in the other thread...

Oh, the address for that is http://gatherer.wizards.com/