The Universe at a glance

F

Fire Slinger

The Universe-some information to help you live in it

1 AREA: Infinite

2 IMPORTS: None
It is impossible to import things into an infinite area, there being no outside to import things in from.

3. EXPORTS: None
See Imports

4. POPULATION: None
It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.

5. MONETARY UNITS: None
In fact there are 3 freely convertible currencies in the Galaxy, but noe of them count. The Altairian Dollar has recently collasped, the Flainian Pobble Bead is only exchangeable for other Flainian Pobble Beads, and the Triganic Pu has its own very special problem. Its exchange rate of 8 Ningis to 1 Pu is simple enough, but since a Nigi is a triangular rubber coin 6,800 miles along each side, no one has ever collected enough to own one Pu. Ningis are not negotiable currency, because the Galactibanks refuse to deal in fiddling small change. From this basic premise it is very simple to prove that the Galactibanks are also a product of a deranged imagination.

6. ART: None
The function of art is to hold the mirror up to nature, and there simply isn't a mirror big enough-see point one.

H

Hawaiian mage

Now I understand why those religouse nuts wont except the universe the way it is...

-Hawaiian "it was better when I could just make fun of them" mage

C

Chaos Turtle

But there is a flaw in your theory...

The Universe, dear sir, is not infinite...

So how do ya like them apples?

Z

Zadok001

Assuming it is, however, regarding #4...

If there are an infinite number of worlds (I'm assuming infinity sub 1, aka the number of integers, not that it matters), and a portion of those worlds _are_ inhabited, then there are an infinite number of inhabitants. Reasoning? Infinity divided by any non-infinity non-zero non-negative number is still infinity. The direct flaw in the logic stated in #4 is "Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds." Even if not every one is inhabited, if _any_ are, then by the same logic used initially in #4, an infinite number must be inhabited.

G

Gerode

To add to Zadok's comment, some infinities are larger than others. There are an infinite amount of numbers between 0 and 1 and between 0 and 0.0000000001.

There can be an infinite amount of inhabited planets and still be infinitely smaller than the amount of uninhabited planets, creating an average population that is infinitely small.

What if there are an infinite amount of universes, creating a multiverse of infinite size? #1 could work by changing that.

C

Cateran Emperor

Do tell HM, why don't religious nuts "except" the universe the way it is? :D

[me]reads the whole analysis of the Universe[/me]

Nah, you've got it all wrong. But who cares, I have better things to do than hurt my head trying to explain reality, such as homework...

Wait a second...[me]looks at clock[/me] Gah, gotta write 6 pages for tomorrow. This should be fun... :D

H

Hawaiian mage

Sorry for saying that, it's just I've been going to this other forum. Right now there are like 3 or 4 people that keep trying to denounce evolution and say the bible is compleatly right in every way. If you read their posts you would realize they have little idea as to what they are talking about.

Their giveing christianity a bad name...

-Hawaiian "it's not my fualt I hate christians, it was the christians that made me do it!" mage

C

Cateran Emperor

Yep, I know the type. The bane of the right wing politician. They give a bad name to the whole friggin' Republican party...

I am a rather devout Catholic, but I've realized that the Bible can't be interpreted literally. It's changed so many languages so many times that the whole Book of Genesis is anyone's guess as far as I know. Other things are blatanly obvious to me and seem to lose nothing in translation, though there isn't a huge amount of it.

By the way, don't worry HM. I don't take any such comments personally (heck, I take nothing personally. After all these years of politics, I've got a skin thicker than a tank ;) )

F

Fire Slinger

I dont know.

I got that from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

G

Gizmo

I can`t believe nobody noticed it was from Hitchhikers!

Shame on you all!
:mad:

G

Gerode

I knew that sounded familiar!

[me] hangs his head in utter shame and humility. [/me]

C

Chaos Turtle

I noticed.

I just didn't think it bore mentioning.

So there. :p

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I knew the source before scrolling down far enough to see Fire Slinger tell everyone that it was from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy! I just didn't see it fast enough because I didn't come here on the right day. I love that book!

It doesn't matter whether the statement about the population is true or not. After all, in many of the more relaxed civilizations on the Outer Eastern Rim of the Galaxy, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has already supplanted the great Encyclopedia Galactica as the standard repository of all knowledge and wisdom, for though it has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least wildly inaccurate, it scores ove the older, more predestrian work in two respects.
First, it is slightly cheaper; and second, it has the words "DON'T PANIC" engraved in large friendly letters on its cover.

Oh, and there is a kid in my school named Douglas Adams, but he thinks the books suck, so there you go.

Maybe you thought it tactful to omit part 7 of the information lest you get your post edited. Oh well... That's my favorite part :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'll leave you with the ancient Orion miner's song:

Oh, don't give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit/ No, don't you give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit/ For my head will fly, my tongue will lie, my eyes will fry and I may die/ Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

[Edited by Thallid Ice Cream Man on 01-20-01 at 08:32 PM]