The Shuriken "Trick."

D

DÛke

I just thought I post this, not knowing if you guys noticed this or not.

This "trick" is MTGO-tested, so it works for sure.

Ingredients:

1x Shuriken
1x Creatures with toughness of 3 or more.
1x Creature of your choice
Lands

Recipe:

1. Attach the Shuriken to one of your creatures.
2. Use the equip ability again, but this time, in response to the re-equipping, use the Shuriken ability to deal 2 damage to the creature target of your choice.
3. You've dealt 2 damage so far. The opponent has gained control of the Shuriken, indeed, but it is now attached to one of your creatures.
4. So guess what? You can use the ability yourself! You use the ability, targeting the creature you control with toughness of 3 or more; this way, you gain control of the Shuriken again without losing any creatures.

Your opponent will never use your precious Shuriken.

No Skull Clamp, but not bad.

T

TheCasualOblivion

So in essence its 2 mana, tap 2 creatures, and deal 2 damage to a creature you control to deal 2 damage to target creature your opponent controls, at sorcery speed.

Not unplayable, but certainly not broken.

T

TheCasualOblivion

In drafts though, its also not that hard to just draft ninja.

R

Rooser

The point is that you don't have to draft ninjas to still get good use of the shuriken.

G

Gizmo

This was well-known I thought. Anyway, it's actually a pain in the neck because it makes the Shuriken harder to use. If you CAN use it then you benefit, but it means that if you ever can't do 'the shuriken trick' then the Shuriken is pretty much useless because if your opponent gets control of it he can 'Shuriken trick' you right back and you'll never get the Shuriken again.

The Shuriken's text basically becomes:
2T: Tap two creatures, deal two damage to target creature and two damage to target creature you control. Play this ability only as a sorcery.

And losing the Instant ability from the card is actually a pretty big drawback. I would suggest that the discovery of the Shuriken trick doesnt really improve the quality of the card that much.

D

DÛke

It doesn't improve the card. I only shared it here because I thought about it and it worked. Thought I share it.

I personally don't even like the Shuriken; and some people here know how much I don't even like the Ninjas.

G

Gizmo

CPA seems the last place to find out about this trick, people have been raving about it on every other forum for about a month.

IMHO it doesnt so much improve the card as completely alter it's function. If you can take advantage of the new wording then its really good, if you cant then it becomes trash. I drafted one going 'ooh I can do the shuriken trick' but then found myself with loads of 2-toughness monsters and this stupid artifact that if I ever used it would just **** me over.

D

DÛke

Raving...about it? That's unthinkable considering how god aweful it is.

G

Gizmo

It was NEVER godawful. Even without Ninjas or 'the shuriken trick' it's still ok. Was Starke Of Rath godawful? Hell no!

But yeah, they got overexcited about it, and talked about errata or banning. Which was nonsense.

M

mythosx

Huh? How is this trick anything good? This whole thing sounds like a double dark ritual demonic hordes trick from the old days. Sure you can drop a demonic hordes on turn one. But then you die...ok so this trick isn't quite so bad...its also not much better though.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
mythosx said:
Huh? How is this trick anything good? This whole thing sounds like a double dark ritual demonic hordes trick from the old days. Sure you can drop a demonic hordes on turn one. But then you die...ok so this trick isn't quite so bad...its also not much better though.
I think the idea is that it's something you might not realize you could do. It's a very situational "trick." This doesn't mean it's actually all that useful (let alone good).

G

Gizmo

It IS an improvement because now choose which of your creatures takes 2 damage, whereas previously your opponent chose. But it now makes the card harder to use because giving it to your opponent now hurts twice as much as it used to.

I

Istanbul

In Limited, it's a cute trick, somewhat useful.
Anywhere else, it's utterly useless.

G

Gizmo

In Limited, if you can use it, it's really strong against a non-white deck (they have too many Healers and Kabuto Moth type guys for Shuriken to really matter).

In Block it's getting played in some Snake decks, which have mana and 1/1 guys spare but little removal other than Jitte. They can realistically run the Shuriken trick 2/3 times per turn which can be a house - like a Masticore type of power level.

It WAS a 2-star card. It is NOW potentially a 4-star card in Limited if you can make use of it, but a 1-star card if you can't.

I

Istanbul

It strikes me as a bit wasteful in snake decks. I mean, sure, it's a source of direct damage (for creatures) in a color that doesn't otherwise have it, but...couldn't you be doing better things with your creatures? Wouldn't you rather swing with big snakes and have your creature removal come in the form of 3/3 creatures that your opponent pretty much has to block?

I'd put it in as a sideboard card only, against things like Samurai decks.

N

NorrYtt

I feel it's just a waste of mana. I had this situation pop up and I'm so skeptical to put Shuriken in my deck now that I've played it in Sealed and in Draft, had in on the table plenty of times, and never once thrown it. I even had it in a Ninja deck and it was just better to put Phantom Wings on my Mistblade Shinobi and turn everyone sideways for damage and tempo.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Gizmo said:
CPA seems the last place to find out about this trick, people have been raving about it on every other forum for about a month.
I guess people on the CPA don't play with Shuriken that much... :)

T

TheCasualOblivion

I had 4 Shuriken in my functional Ninja deck I posted here a while back. With at least 2 Ninja and a Shuriken in play, using the Shuriken to clear the board becomes priority one. It is one of the key cards in the deck.

N

Notepad

mythosx said:
I completely agree. Outside of a sealed deck, this trick is useless. But even in limited...you may as well go red for Yamabushi damage, or just draft real ninjas. Sheesh! How pathetic is tournament Magic nowadays that people are wetting their pants over this on tourney forums? At least here the reaction is more logical. ;)