The Next Cycle of Magic.

W

Waubers

OK this week I spoke to my Local Magic dealer. He lets me know when new stuff is comming. About 3 months ago he told me about a new magic novel being printed called the Thran.
This book was great. It was wrote by the same guy who wrote Time Streams - J. Robert King - and it explains the origins of the Thran, Phyrexia, Yawgmoth, Gix, and ultimatly Urza. OK I'll give you a brief glimps.
Glacian is a super artificer who creates Powerstones to power everything in the Thran Empire. One day after testing his latest device - an improved method for creating powerstones other than the Mana Rig in Shiv. After the test runs an untouchable named Gix (hint hint) stabs him with a powerstone. This causes Glacian to contract whats called the Pithis. Rebbec - his wife - sees that over the past months since he was stabbed Glacian has not improved so she calls on the Halycon Counsil (Halcon is the Capital of the Thran Empire) to summon Yawgmoth - (brace yourself) a healer who is banished from Halycon to attempt to heal Glacian. This event sets into motion a series of evets that ultimatly lead up to Yawgmoth gaining control over the Thran empire and discovering a person named Dyfad. She is a Planeswalker. She helps Yawgmoth to secure the Empire from outside invaders who now call for the Exile of Yawgmoth for crimes commited in other Lands.

***OK I will put the rest of the book summary in this post however I will put it way down so if you plan on reading the book you don't have to see it by Mistake***

Back to the issue of the Next Cycle. He (my local card dealer) said that the description provided with the book said that the Novel is the storyline that accompanies the Next big Cycle of Magic cards due to be out next October. If the Novel is half as good as the set should be the set should be great.

Alright now I will finish my summary but it is farther down the post

`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`

`
`
`
`
`
`
`

`
`
`
`
`
`
`
The counsil votes to not exile Yawgmoth which sparks a war between Halycon and the Rest of Dominaria. This war causes Dyfad to find, per Yawgmoths request, to find a new plane to house the refugees from the Thran - Dominarian war. She finds an Artificial plane made by a Planeswalker. The Plane is made entirely of Artifact creatures and it contains 9 Spheres. Yawgmoth calles the Plane Phyrexia. He sets up infirmaries there to treat victims of the pythis which is found t obe caused by over exposure to Powerstones. In Phyrexia there are no powerstones so its the perfect place to "Cure" victims of the pythis which by this time almost 1/3 of the population has. Dyfad sets up a permanant portal to Phyrexia in the caves of Colos (another hint). by this point in time Rebbec and Glacian, who is extremly ill, have started to see Yawgmoth isn't the great man he presents himself as and they ask Dyfad to take the council to another plane until the threat of war has passed. She does. She takes them to a lush plane but they quicky realize that the Council members are very pampered and they won't be able to get by on their own. Rebbec has a goblin go with every council member so they have someone to build and help the council members survive. Oh by the way the plane that Dyfad takes the Council members and goblins to is called Mercadia.
Back on dominaria the war is in full swing and Yawgmoth is winning. Partialy because he has enhanced the people that he "cured" on Phyrexia into super human creatures that are capable of great fighting. Yawgmoth also has taken control of Dyfad and Glacian. He has Glacian to keep Rebbec - the woman he loves - from fleeing him. He has Dyfad under control so that he can transplant the organ that alows her to planeswalk into himself. Rebbec seeing what is about to transpire sneaks into Phyrexia while Yawgmoth goes off to battle. She enters the 9th sphere and talkes control of the world. She sees what Yawgmoth is doing to Dyfad so to prevent him from succeeding she kills Dyfad. Then she taked Glacian back to Dominaria. Once there she discovers that Glacian is now dead with out the machines that keep him alive. Along side Glacian she finds two blood soaked powerstones in the case Glacian was in. Its actually 1 stone broke inhalf. She pickes them up and brings them together. All of a sudden Glacian enters her mind. As it turns our Glacian had the spark of a Planeswalker, that is the reason Dyfad came to Dominaria, to help him realize his full potential. Unfortunatly due to Yawgmoth that never happened. Instead Glacian died and his essence went into the broken powerstone. Glacian tells rebbec to put the now whole stone in a podeum near the Portal to Phrexia. This will close the portal forever - or as long as the red powerstone stays whole. (hint hint) She does this and it seals Phrexia out of dominaria until Urza and Mishra break the stone 4000 years later. So the answer to many questions is that NO Yawgmoth is not a Planes walker and in one on one combat Urza would kick his ass because Yawgmoth is only human and Urza is almost a god.

Well I hope you enjoyed my little summary of The Thran. If your upset that I revealed the end you have no one to blame but yourself because I warned you earlier.

Everyone go buy the book. You'll be able to appreciate the game alot more.

Waubers.

Other books Waubers suggests reading - The golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The End of the Road by Tom Bodett, Teh Big Garage on Clearshot also by Tom Bodett, all the Magic Novels, and Woodsong by Gary Paulsen.

W

Waubers

OK I pre appologize for the horrible butchering of the written English Language as seen about. My strong area's have always been Science and Math NOT English

Waubers

T

The Magic Jackal

Thanks a lot! I have the book, but i never have time to read the magic books until the summer. I've always said that urza was awesome, i mean he did kill lots of people in the cataclysm. He just a little, ummm, disturbed....