The Deck that goes Ping in the night Without Tim :)

• Thread starter VindicateDesolation
  • Start date
V

VindicateDesolation

ok..so I used to have a deck with Tim, Horseshoe Crab, and Hermetic Study. Won only by getting out the combo of the crab and study. It gained the name "the deck that goes ping in the night" from its ability to ping repeatedly (ping being the ability of Tim).

With WotC moving the ability to red and a Horseshoe crab win being kind of cheesy, plus out of flavor (what will the thing do, wiggle its shell?), I wanted to make one that actually had the flavor of creatures that aren't Tims gaining the Tim ability. So, here's the deck.

This deck is still in the construction stages so feel free to offer advice. Out beside each card are the flavor reasons

Tim Spells -

4x Quicksliver Dagger (Watch what I can do Mommy!)
4x Arcane Teachings (See Flavor Text
1x Psionic Gift (oooh...Yard Sale)
3x Hermetic Study(Reminds me of detention!)

Creatures -
4x Cloud of Faeries (Free and fairies are annoying, just like tim)
4x Whirlpool Rider (He can ride a whirlpool but he can't shoot someone for 1 point?)
4x Whirlpool Drake (see above, with the fact that this guy is a drake)

Other -
4x Words of Wisdom(Let me tell you about this trick I learned...)
2x Brainstorm (so THAT'S how you do that!)
4x Turnabout (Let's do it again)
1x Time Spiral (Dejavu?)
1x Trade Secrets (Teach me how to do that!)

Lands
14x Islands
4x Lonely Sandbar
4x Mountains
2x Forgotten Cave

Any ideas?

"There is a future in which I see only mist and a single shadow"

Ferret

Staff member
Sounds like a fun deck. Perhaps, some ways to untap your "Tims" so they can act like little machine guns? Always fun.

I don't care what anyone says, I have always thought that pingers were in flavour for Blue. Aside from counters, fliers, and bounce cards they have the ability do some indirect damage. It's the only mechanic from Blue I really like...

-Ferret

"Time to break out my Coat/Wizards deck!"

B

BigBlue

yeah, but WotC has it in for Blue now...

They are taking away it's mechanics and apparently even Counterspell is going away from standard... what is the world coming to?

They took flying away from the Elemental Air color and gave it to law and order? They are taking the Prodigal sorcerer ability away too it looks like, and replacing effective counters with less efficient or ineffective ones In essense they are admitting that blue was too powerful and making up for it by making it the new green. With the advent of a million Dragons, Blue doesn't even have domain of the large fliers... And no Merfolk either...

But I'm not bitter, really... because I don't play standard and haven't bought any base set cards since 5th.

N

Nightstalkers

Hah! :D WotC is hating our precious Blue, so we hate their precious Mots!

Attachments

V

VindicateDesolation

I mentioned (I think) in the post about I used to use Horseshoe Crab but didn't want to do it (oh yeah..how can a crab ping for one??? wiggle its shell???)

anywho...Turnabout gives a one-shot untap..but any other ideas are beyond me..i'd like to stay in Red/Blue

Should start running it tonight or tomorrow..

Question..Would Dwarven Patrol have enough oomph in the deck to push it over the top?

I don't think so, but opinions are welcome :)

R

Rooser

Dwarven Patrol is a great idea. I've built decks around just it, Quicksilver Dagger, and a bunch of zero casting coast artifacts and/or one-blue spells and/or those "free" spells from Urza's cycle. Once you get going, things get real ugly. Anyway, yeah, in this deck Dwarven Patrol would be good because with all the pinging, you're liable to open a hole for its 4 power to get through to the player, which speeds your game up.

V

VindicateDesolation

ok..early playtesting shows good possibilities...the following are cards that need to come out

Hermetic Study - with Arcane Teachings rocking and Quicksilver Dagger in there, this one just can't compete.

Whirlpool Rider - While its ability is good, 4 Whirlpool Warriors would serve MUCH better (now that I found them during card sorting)

Going in are...

Whirlpool Warrior - See above

4 empty slots

The deck gets PLENTY of land, the only problem comes when the hand runs out and I'm holding Whirlpool Cards...

Questions - Should the Riders come out? or should I play all 12?
Is Dwarven Patrol truly worth sticking in here? (playtesting shows I need a heavy hitter, but it may not be reliable enough)
What is a good card drawing engine? Gush? Accumulated Knowledge?

Replies, help, questions, and comments are welcome! :)

"There is a future in which I see only mist and a single shadow"

N

Nightstalkers

would a charisma help at all?

Since T1 try bounce if you really get alot of mana.

Ever wonder if you could try donation as another try?

V

VindicateDesolation

Again..trying to keep the deck in Red/Blue

Charisma might be interesting...

Something like Capsize might be good..and in playtesting..the Whirlpool cards make it great, keep your hand fresh, and do a fair job of pissing your opponent off (Aren't you done YET!?!)

I took a 5 minute turn last night :p

T

train

What's funny is putting the Quicksilver daggers on Glacial Walls, or Wals of Stone...

And Ferret - I always knew you were into Coat...

"Just call 1-900-Kot-Adkt to order yours now...)