The Casual Masticore

O

Ophidian

Can anyone tell me why Masticore is so cool? I have read it so many times my eyes hurt, and I can't figure out why people are paying $12 a piece. I know what it does, and how cheap it's CC is, but I would NEVER use this card (in fact, I've got about a set laying around). Maybe It's because I don't play tournies. Ok, to get to the point, dou you think Masticore is a good casual card?

D

Duel

Because masticore is a way of pumping mana striaght through to damage, besides being a 4/4 w/ regenerating. Even without the damage ability, it would still be a decent card for four mana. Then you throw in squee, effectively annhilating it's drawback. Plus, with the abundance of small creatures played in nemesis and Masques, a tim can be decent, but a masticore is damn deadly!
Besides which, it works in combo decks.

B

Baron Sengir

Masticore gives colors like blue and green a way to take care of creatures. It also helps take out those annoying creatures with protection. Plus, it eats weenies for lunch.

Case in point:

I was playing my friend Paul today. He was playing white weenie and I was playing a blue counter deck. Paul was beating on me with four 2/1 shadow creatures but I had just played a Masticore the turn before. He managed to hit me for eight damage but during my turn I paid eight mana to deal each of his creatures a point of damage and then attacked with the Masticore and an Ophidian. I didn't lose any cards thanks to the Ophidian and he just lost four. Every weenie he put out after that was picked off and I cruised to victory.

Masticore is a weenie-killing machine with a negiligible drawback. If you don't want yours, I'll be happy to trade you for them. Just send me an e-mail at decepticon_999@yahoo.com.

I remain
The Baron
Still mourning Chewbacca

W

Wizard2000

I always put Masticore in with blue. Only 4 for a 4/4 is way better than any blue creature. He also gives blue direct damage. :)

Use blue's drawing ability to keep some cards in your hand for discard and beat your opponent down with him. There are also lots of other uses for him, but that was the first one I found.

O

Ophidian

I have seen the destruction that a Masticore can unleash. But I build decks that can play something each round. Even my blue deck is a solid creature deck. I don't like the upkeep. I've got too many other spells in my hand that I would want to play instead of tossing them off to the Masticore. But I do see how if you build a deck around the Masticore, it would be a cool card. It just dosen't fit into any of my decks very well.

C

Chaos Turtle

Masticore just fits into decks of a color which lack good removal (like blue) and as a way to kill in a (multi-color) control deck, where Morphling may be too costly.
The fact that it's selling for about $12 now is testament to the fact that people are realizing that it's not as amazing as previously though (same goes for Squee).

Make no mistake though, Masticore is one of the best colorless sources of weenie control, mainly because it's a 4/4 monster.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Paul was beating on me with four
2/1 shadow creatures but I had just played a Masticore the turn
before. He managed to hit me for eight damage but during my turn I
paid eight mana to deal each of his creatures a point of damage and
then attacked with the Masticore and an Ophidian.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The exact reason every WW deck needs Empiryal Armor, Crusade, and/or Glorious Anthem -- EA is a total beatdown too ;)

-mike

M

Mr_Pestilence

Masticore selling for "only" $12? If you're judging the worth of Type II cards based on their "book" value, then what is selling for more than 12?

W

Wizard2000

Good point Mr Pestilence (it is tempting to cut your name down to Mr Pest, but don't know how you would take that :) )

Most T2 rares sell for anywhere from $1.00 to about $10 on eBay. Masticore is currently the $ king, but the Rootwater Thief is very near his cost at about $9 or so. Foils are an entirely different story though.

While I have it on my mind... I bought a box of Urza Saga starter decks a long time ago and got NO FOILS. I didn't think about it at the time, but now I look back and wonder what happened?

W

Wizard2000

Wait a second... didn't foils start in Legacy? Now I'm all confused. :)

D

DeathPitOffering

MAsticore is an awesome card. The reason the drawback is tolerable is that with a 4/4 dude stompoin on your oppenets head, and the good ole massy shooting down all the atempts to kill him ans the FUTILE attempts to get guys out and chump block. Plus it can be thwon in any deck to beat down

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
But it's best in a deck with some form of card drawing (like Ophidian, for example) or built in recursion (like Squee). Personally I like the idea of putting a Charisma on it and stealing all my opponents critters with it!

Too bad I haven't managed to pick up any Charismas. :(

Oh well.

TomB
CPA Member

O

Ophidian

I heard that the saga foils were slipped into the first print run of Destiny. I don't know if that is true or not, but I haven't heard a better explanation. I bought a ton of destiny and the coolest foil I got was the Thran Golem. So much for that Thran Quarrt I wanted.