The Baron's latest article

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, what did you guys think about the Baron's latest article? I thought he was right on target with most of it, especially about the "gateway to gaming" part. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who can see the POSITIVES in Pokemon! :D

I do disagree with him on the casual player part, though. With the way the little munchkins play in Pokemon tourneys now, I see at least half trying their hand in Magic tourneys too. That doesn't mean they won't play casually of course...

TomB
CPA Member

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I agreed with it mostly except I believe I'm a bit more optimistic about Pokemon staying around. First, since it came out as a cartoon and a video game before a CCG, I believe as long as they're around interest in the cards will stay. Second, I believe it's actually living up to its name as a CCG in that a lot of kids are buying/trading to get the cards with less intent of playing the actual game. I'm not saying there aren't players; I'm saying that the playing/collectible crowd are more equal than Magic. It's probably a continuation of the mindset of the video game where you have to get all 150 Pokemon.

Other than that, I pretty much agreed with it. Although I don't see what the big uproar between Magic players and Pokemon is anyway. The only semi-valid argument I've seen is that since they're both made by WOTC, Magic players feel that more attention is being paid to Pokemon. In my opinion, that itself is just opinion with no real facts behind it so I don't take much stock in it. My opinion is who cares? If you're playing Magic you're playing Magic and if you're playing Pokemon you're playing Pokemon. If you're trying to find problems in Magic, keep it to the game itself without going outside of it.

Whew! That turned into a mini-rant... :)