Terror and Diplomatic Inmunity

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by jcredberry, Nov 1, 2000.

1. jcredberry Gochan Warlord

A friend of mine tried to play a Diplomatic Inmunity over his creature... His opponent answered with a Terror...
    Will the Terror kill the creature???

What if the creature is a 1/1 and his opponent answered tapping his Tim???
  2. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Sure, as long as the Terror was played before the Diplomatic Immunity resolves.

The Terror will resolve before the Immunity and kill the creature in question.

Same for the Tim.
    Just add the ability to the stack on top of the Immunity, and it resolve first.
  3. jcredberry Gochan Warlord

He played his D.I. and AFTER that (but answering) his opponent played a Terror...

I argued with my friend because he says the opponent is not answering to the D.I. but instead he's answering by playing an instant to the creature... Therefore the D.I. resolves and the Terror cannot target the creature... I told him both spells go to the stack and the Terror resolves first because it was played AFTER the D.I., therefore the creature is destroyed and the D.I. doesn't have a valid target...

But what happens with the D.I. and the mana he used to cast it??? Can he play the D.I. to another creature??? If the D.I. goes to the graveyard can he use his mana to cast another spell??? Does he get mana burn???
  4. Ristik New Member

I'm not entirely sure of the circumstances. I see two possible cases that you may be referring to.

1) There is a Raging Goblin in play. Player A plays a Diplomatic Immunity on it. Player B attempts to Terror it afterwards, meaning after resolution that turn.

2) There is a Raging Goblin in play. Player A plays a Diplomatic Immunity on it. Player B responds to Diplomatic Immunity with Terror.

In case 1, Player B is not even allowed to cast Terror because the Raging Goblin is an illegal target. In case 2, the Raging Goblin dies of fright, and the Diplomatic Immunity is "countered" and is buried. Player A cannot choose another target for Diplomatic Immunity, and the mana used to cast Diplomatic Immunity is spent. The situations involving Tim are identical. I hope this is clear enough.
  5. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Well, J.C., it sounds like you have the right idea.

If your friend is not remembering to pass priority to his opponents before letting his spells resolve, he's not being fair to his opponents.

It's the whole reason we have the Stack and Priority.

Once his Dimplomatic Immunity goes on the stack, he has to let his opponent(s) have a chance to add spells/abilities to the stack.
    Of course, those abilities resolve in last-to-first order, giving the result that Ristik and I have described (dead creature, countered Diplomatic Immunity).
  6. MrXarvox The Prettiest Man Alive

actually, the DI isn't countered, it fizzles.
    Both have the same effect, but the term "countered" would allow such effects as Multani's Presence (whenever a spell you play is countered, draw a card)to activate.
    Just a technicality.
  7. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

'Fizzle' is no longer a Magic term.

Spells/abilities which fail due to becoming illegal by the time they would resolve are referred to as being "countered upon resolution."

Naturally, abilities which trigger upon something becoming countered (like Multani's Presence) will trigger in this event.
  8. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Sounds like your friend was using the old rules with interrupts when if you stopped targeting the last spell with an interrupt but instead targeted a new target, the first batch or stack of interrupts would resolve. Like if you had a red Goblin in play, your opponent tried to BEB it, you REB the BEB, your opponent BEB the Goblin again. I think because the last BEB didn't target the REB but a new target, it has to wait until the REB and the first BEB resolve.

Was that clear? And was that right? Anyway, I know you're not playing with interrupts anyway but that's what the situation sounds like (or what your friend was thinking).

Or maybe he was just trying to get away with it :)
  9. jcredberry Gochan Warlord

Well... He argued with such strong resolution that he put the fear of God on me... But now that you say it, I'm pretty sure he was trying to get away with it... :D

Anyway... Thanx... It was pretty clear...
  10. ErinPuff Token Female

But "fizzle" is so much more fun to say than boring ol' "counter upon resolution"!
  11. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Agreed, but MrXarvox said:
    ...which of course is not the case.

;)
  12. Duel Has Less Posts Than Spiderman

oh, I dunno. I wanna find a situation where I can say: "Skizzik Fizzles!"
  13. MrXarvox The Prettiest Man Alive

damn 6th edition.
    :p