Temporal Aperture & Kicker

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Captain Caveman, Apr 30, 2001.

1. Captain Caveman New Member

Temporal Aperture
    5,tap: Shuffle your libabry and reveal the top card. Until end of turn, as long as that card remains on top of your
    library, you may play that card as though it was in your hand and without paying its cc.

Question: How does T.A effect kicker cost?

If I Aperture a Breath of Darigaaz can it do 4 damage to each creature and player without pay mana for the kicker?

I'm guessing yes, but I wanted to make sure before it came up around here.

Thanx,
    Caveman

Cavemen are kind of dense, you know!
  2. Lotus Mox New Member

You can play kicker with Temporal Aperture, but you have to pay the kicker cost.

While you do not have to pay the mana cost (see Rule K.18), you do have to pay any other costs described in the text that are paid when playing the card. [D'Angelo 98/10/05] If the cost in the card text is optional, such as with Buyback, you can optionally pay that cost. [D'Angelo 99/02/09]
  3. Ransac CPA Trash Man

But I thought that kicker recieved a ruling stating that kicker can only be paid when it is cast from the hand.

Ransac, cpa trash man
  4. EricBess Active Member

No, that's just a bad case of Spidey's haste in rulings being a bit "sticky". If you go look up that thread, you will see that he later added the rest of the ruling that says something to the effect of, "...or anything as if played from the hand..."
  5. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

You can pay the kicker cost of a spell anytime you play that spell. This does not include "putting the card into play" by any other means. But with Temporal Aperture, you are still playing the spell, but without paying its mana cost.
  6. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I only included the first portion of the ruling because that was what pertained to the original question. Then Zadok decided to expound on it, so I had to include the rest.

I guess I should include ALL of the ruling, no matter what ;)
  7. Captain Caveman New Member

Thanks for clearing that up.

Caveman