Telepathy plus Morph

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Mikeymike, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Mikeymike Captain Hiatus

I'm an evil blue mage playing Telepathy. I see that my opponent has 2 morph creatures in their hand. They choose to cast a Morph creature at its generic 3 cost. Does Telepathy cancel out the 'hidden' aspect of the generic morph casting? I'm assuming yes but...

makes me think their is a B/U discard control deck on the horizon packing Cabal Therapy's and such.
  2. train The Wildcard!!!...

You would know what they're playing, but the creature will still be brought into play face-down. B/U discard is already a cheap trick!!! (I don't think trick is a dirty word, at least I didn't use it that way.)
  3. Mikeymike Captain Hiatus

Trick isn't a dirty word, whether it would be to turn a trick or to be a trick.

So basically you would be able to see of those 2 creatures are coming into play face down and you can spend your counter wisely.

Another Morph question
    Would Liquify stop a generic morph cast? This 1 I can make an argument for either way.

- Liquify specifically looks at the converted mana cost of a spell, but the spell is hidden so is its CMC thought of as 3 or would the spell have to be exposed to see it falls victim to Liquify.
  4. train The Wildcard!!!...

Supposedly - and this is a big supposedly, considering Onslaught isn't out yet - any checks for mana cost when playing it for it's morph cost are to be 0. It's also supposed to be colorless, and has no other distinguishable characteristics.
  5. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

According to the Comp. Rules:

504.2. Creatures that are in play face down or that come into play face down are 0/1 colorless
    creatures with no name, creature type, expansion symbol, or abilities, and a mana cost of 0. Creatures that come into play face down are turned face down before they come into play, so
    the creature's comes-into-play abilities won't trigger (if triggered) or have any effect (if static).

train was correct, the converted mana cost will be zero. As for the Liquify question, well, they errated Illusionary Mask simply for this reason. I will say that you would have to expose the spell, simply to see if Liquify could legally target it or not. After that (assuming the Liquify could not target the spell), I have no idea what would happen.

(- Steve -)