Team Loser and a Monkey teammate and friend dies

O

orgg

Everyone, expecially Ransac, I impart sad news.

Monday, March Fourteenth, Two Thousand Five, the member known to the CPA at one point as "Sole Specter" passed away, having been hit by a car while walking home from his fuel drained vehicle.

For a time, somewhat documented in the archives of the CPA, I, the member known as "Nanokill," and "Sole Specter" were a close-knit bunch of three friends. Later, after "Nanokill" moved to the West coast, I, "Sole Specter" and the legendary member Ransac were a good bunch of friends and a Magic team-- Team Loser and a Monkey. Both I and Spencer ("Sole Specter") served time as The Monkey of Team Loser. During this time, we all attended pre-releases, and many CPA members met Spencer, a vibrant and red haired youth. For this reason, I let the CPA know of this occurance. Those whom knew or met Spencer, please take a minute to remember him.

To those whom did not know Spencer Hollis, nor remember his posting as Sole Specter...

a moment of silence, please? Thank You.

M

Mr_Pestilence

I met him too, but obviously didn't know him as well as Orgg, et al. Nice guy...

P

Prince RXI

I would like to speak for a moment in honor of Spencer, a good friend of mine, and a very close friend of my brother, Mark, the man you all know as the Legendary Member Ransac.

I met Spencer at the local game shop that my brother and I went to up in Georiga, Neutral Ground, which is no more. There, I learned much about magic, as well as on line games, from Spencer. He was a good friend.

In a way, I think that Spencer was a rebel, yet he was kind and thoughtful for the most part. As far as I know, he did what his parents told him to do, he was fairly polite, and he never overstepped the major boundaries.

Now I will speak of his skills as a Magic player. Though he rarely changed his deck, he was always a high ranking player in tournaments. I believe that Ransac would not be the player he is today if he had not met Spencer... and I know that I would not be as well. I am sure that The Orgg could vouch for me on that.

Lastly, I would like to send out a message to everyone who had not had a chance to meet Spencer or only knew him as Sole Specter. This was a man who, though no older than I am, had wisdom beyond his years. Smart, strong, though not quick to action, he was, and will always remain, one of the best people I ever met. Let us all Remember him...

The Legendary Sole Specter, Spencer Hollis. May his name never be forgotten

Prince RXI, one friend lost, though his memory will never be lost.

O

orgg

Prince RXI said:
Now I will speak of his skills as a Magic player. Though he rarely changed his deck, he was always a high ranking player in tournaments. I believe that Ransac would not be the player he is today if he had not met Spencer... and I know that I would not be as well. I am sure that The Orgg could vouch for me on that.

Lastly, I would like to send out a message to everyone who had not had a chance to meet Spencer or only knew him as Sole Specter. This was a man who, though no older than I am, had wisdom beyond his years. Smart, strong, though not quick to action, he was, and will always remain, one of the best people I ever met. Let us all Remember him...

The Legendary Sole Specter, Spencer Hollis. May his name never be forgotten.
When a mutual friend of Spencer and I called the day after I recieved the news, we talked about the 'old days,' and how quickly Spencer's Magic skill increased in the three years I knew him well. When I left Georgia, he was an excellent player. David, the mutual friend, told me that the last time he had spoken to Spencer, David went to his house and took a look at a 'new' deck type he didn't understand. Spencer then started explaining the theories behind the deck and how to play it to its optimal performance. David told me that it was amazing how much better of a player he was than when he himself had been playing the same amount of time as Spencer had. Since I'm the person who initially started teaching Spencer, this caused me to nearly start crying twice... then the third time I mentioned it to someone, I actually did shed tears.

The shock has lessoned and the scab of absense is forming, but at the strangest of times I'll all of a sudden be reminded of Spencer.

*bows head in silence*

O

orgg

It's been almost a full year. I still think about Spencer quite often... Every time I see The Rock in a movie (I saw The Scorpion King with him at the movies), every time I see or hear about the "Scary Movie" franchise (I saw the second with him at the theater), or every time I see a Beatdown card or Chronicals Ernie Djinn (He bought a case of Beatdown really cheap, and he never returned my four Ernies)...

...and everytime I see someone watching Magic with intense interest.

I recieved a notice that his guestbook is closing soon. For posterity, I'm copy-and-pasting the entries here. I hope noone minds.

http://www.legacy.com/Atlanta/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=3294983 said:
John Hollis

Family-Placed Death Notice

Mr. John Spencer Hollis, 20, of Roswell, died March 13, 2005. A 2004 graduate of Roswell High School, Spencer was the son of John T. and Bonita Fenwick Hollis. He is also survived by his sister, Jamie Hollis of Roswell and brother, Christopher Byler of Chattanooga, TN; grandparents, John and Lucille Hollis of Central, IN and Jean Fenwick of Louisville, KY; several aunts, uncles and cousins also survive. Friends are invited to share a time of remembrance and celebration of Spencer's life on Wednesday from 5 until 8 p.m. at Northside Chapel Funeral Directors, 12050 Crabapple Road, Roswell, 770-645-1414. Family request that in lieu of flowers please make donations in his memory to the American Kidney Fund.
Published in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on 3/16/2005.

Guest Book for

John Hollis

March 29, 2005
I wish to offer my condolences to the family. Spencer was a good friend of mine and I treasure the moments that I spent around him. He will truly be missed.

Mark Wanich
Mark Wanich (Statesboro, GA )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 28, 2005
Spencer, as he was known by friends, was a good guy. It truly is a shock when someone you grew up with is taken from this life. I'll never forget Spencer, and wish that he had not met his end this early, nor in such a horrible way.

It's hard to know what to say to those whom were even closer than I to Spencer...
...other than "I'm sorry. I wish this did not happen."
Jensen Bohren (Madison, MS )
theorgg@hotmail.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 16, 2005
I am sorry for your loss. He was a great guy. We had good times hanging out together with our group of friends. I will miss him.
Alex Curtin (Roswell, GA )

March 16, 2005
We are sorry to hear about the loss of your son and your family is in our prayers.

The Warlicks
380 Longleaf Drive
Mia Warlick (Roswell, GA )

March 16, 2005
Offering our deepest condolences during this difficult time.
Staff of Northside Chapel Funeral Directors, Inc. (Roswell, GA )
And to stick my signature permanantly in a place, to keep it in a digital form in Spencer's honor forevermore:

My Signature said:
Life is for the living
Death is for the dead
Let life be like music
And death a note unsaid
-Langston Hughes, "A Note in Music."

Rest In Peace, John "Spencer" Hollis;
Friend, Teammate, and Magic Player.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I know, man. I still miss him, too. I still can't believe that this happened..... and that I didn't find out until well after the funeral....... *sigh*

Ransac, cpa trash man

N

Nightstalkers

He sends his love and thanks. At least he made some impact on people unlike some of the losers who die.

H

HOUTS

Damn him...he gets to leave CPA before I do?
Now I truly hate him...

O

orgg

If you want to step in front of a car, Houts, whether knowingly or not, feel free.

Freedom of choice is what you've got. Freedom of Choice.
-Devo

S

sageridder

HOUTS said:
Damn him...he gets to leave CPA before I do?
Now I truly hate him...
Damn Shawn you stepped over the line there.I realise you only post here to needle people and out debate them, but how do you justify that post on a thread from people missing thier friend.I was an avid reader of scrubs corner and have'nt dissagreed with about 70% of your posts of late, but damn why post something so dissrespectfull in this kind of thread.I didn't even know this person but I can't understand why you would post in this thread in such a hurtfull way.I just can't imagine how you would think it funny or be proud of that post.

H

HOUTS

If you take everything say to heart, then you're a donkey.
And I am not sorry for my comments. It IS disheartening to know he gets to leave this world, away from CPA, before I do.
I consider this a win-win.

HOUTS