Sythis, Harvest's Hand

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The release date for Modern Horizons 2 is fast approaching. I should be able to get my Tribal Update Report ready by then. If you haven't noticed, the set is pretty crazy. Amidst all the craziness, one thing I noticed was that EDH players who are also Enchantress enthusiasts finally got the commander they've been waiting for all these years. I don't know if anyone else here is into Enchantress decks, and for me it's really only something I dabble in. But I do think it's cool. Back when I was in high school, I had a deck based around Argothian Enchantress, Verduran Enchantress, and Serra's Sanctum. I've messed around with it in EDH a bit, but I remember being frustrated that I couldn't find a good commander for the archetype. One of the 2018 precons had a strong enchantment theme, but none of the new commander options was a good draw engine. I went with Estrid, but my heart wasn't in it. I recall wishing at some point that they'd have just made a legendary version of Satyr Wayfinder. With all the focus that EDH gets, I figured that some day, we'd eventually get an Enchantress commander. The wait is finally over...
1623776493239.png

So, not only does this have the basic Enchantress effect, but you get lifegain in addition to card-drawing. Nice. Not gamebreaking, but nice. The card is also an enchantment itself, which is excellent news for multiple formats and especially EDH (if it gets killed and you recast it from the command zone while also having other Enchantress effects out, you'll draw cards for casting it). And to top it off, you get all that for two mana. It's entirely plausible that this commander could hit the table and draw several cards before someone piloting an Enchantress deck with one of the older, inferior commanders has even finished setting up.

Because Enchantress decks aren't my first love or anything, my excitement for this card was initially somewhat tempered by the insanity of the rest of this set. But I did think it was pretty cool that Enchantress players basically got the commander of their wildest dreams. So I was surprised to see that some of the reaction to this (albeit perhaps not from the die-hard Enchantress fans) is entirely dismissive. Sythis isn't blue and dies to removal, so it's boring and not a good commander. Or something.

Am I taking crazy pills? What more could an Enchantress deck in EDH ask for? This commander is two mana. Two.

This card is sweet. I'd play it over the other Bant enchantment-matters Commanders. Not getting blue is fine since this lady is one heck of a draw engine for only two mana and those other Commanders aren't really enchantress effects. Two is about as cheap as it gets. I like it quite a bit.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, once I get back to building EDH decks, this is going to be one of the first commanders I focus on. The naysayers are nuts.