Survivor: Gabon

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So a new season has started and two people are gone already... Can't remember the names of the tribes yet, but the losing tribe is just a wreck... can't pull it together so far.

E

EricBess

Yep. I'm sure comments will be longer as people start making names for themselves, but I agree, the losing tribe is a mess. I can't believe they were already even thinking of voting out a strong player, just because he might have found the immunity idol...that would have just proven how bad they were.

The one girl that got voted out first, dispite her negative attitude, might have been the only person on the team that exhibited an actual drive to win.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yeah, voting out the possible immunity holder dude would have been a big mistake at this point.

And I agree about that girl who first got eliminated.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Fang got a bit "stronger" this week... won both challenges. Sugar scored the hidden idol but told Ace, who immediately said "It's ours". How funny... Despite all of that talk about Ace has to go now, little Paloma was voted out... maybe they plan to vote for Ace later 'cause they want his strength now and they still have the alliance of five? That's what I would guess...

Behind the Scenes at the first tribal council

E

EricBess

I suspect they weren't able to get the support to vote off a strong male this early, so they gave up on that idea. After all, it was just Paloma and her closest ally that ended up voting for him. I'm not even sure if anyone else has mentioned being irritated by Ace besides those two.

Melkor

Also you don't necessarily want to ruffle feathers that early and poison the well in the tribe. By voting off Paloma who basically everyone agrees on, you increase the power of your alliance of 4/5. You maintain the status quo vis a vis the other tribe and also with regards to internal tribe politics, except there is one less free agent vote to cause you trouble.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ugh, it's been so long since last Thursday... :)

I'm not too sure the switching around of the tribes really did anything, but apparently Kelly saved her rear and wasn't voted off... weird that Bob lasted so long in the re-arranging of the tribes, but yeah, everyone was probably going to physical at that point. GC and Ken look pretty lazy or unathletic from what is shown so far...

E

EricBess

Yeah, GC seems not only lazy, but he seems very quick to simply give up on a challenge.

I think the switching around of tribes is just to keep any alliances from having a definite foothold. They usually do some sort of shuffling around after the 3rd or 4th person gets voted out. This was an interesting way to do it, combining it with a "where does everyone think you stand" sort of thing. I was surprized that Susie was below the three "outcasts". They don't show much reaction, but I'm guessing there was a lot of thinking going on based on that and Randy being ranked so high.

Melkor

I was surprised at how little the tribe shake up seemed to actually change the dynamics. I guess that makes sense because the people were picking their own new tribes. We'll have to see if the alliance of the weak can stick together if they keep losing.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure it changed the dynamics too much; the majority of one tribe was always looking to vote out a member from the minority tribe. Except the order seemed to be keep the strong-strong (like Ace) and try to sway the weakest members (like Kelly). Even though Jacquie was strong, I guess they feared an alliance with Ace, her, and Sugar for some reason.

E

EricBess

It was interesting to me that Ken selected Kelly specifically because she was clearly an outcast from her tribe. That would have been a good move normally, but since Ken was already set to have a majority of people from his original tribe still around, it only served to make them weaker overall.

I don't think that the problem is that they "fear" Ace, Jacquie, and Sugar so much as they want to make sure they have a stronger majority. I think they might fear that one of their own original tribemates might be willing to flip, so by keeping Kelly, they have that extra leverage.

Perhaps it just goes to show how paranoid the game can make you.

And I'm not sure I completely agree with you about not changing the dynamic. I agree that the stronger team, Kota, wasn't hugely affected. Charlie, Corrinne, Bob, and Marcus are still "in control" there. But Fang had a complete shift. Dan, Randy, and Susie lost Matty and are now in trouble if they ever lose a challenge. They were planning on getting rid of Ken, GC, and Crystal, who, with Matty, now control the numbers on Fang.

If Fang keeps losing, then Kelly, Sugar, and possibly Ace won't last until the merge, which will give the original Fang alliance more control than the original Kota alliance, dispite Kota having been a stronger tribe.

Melkor

Yeah, let me rephrase, I think that the shuffle can have big consequences down the line, it is just that the immediate dynamics haven't changed that much. Taking out Jackie was definitely a good move to keep the old Fang people in control and if you've got a strong alliance of people, you can survive a lot of tribal councils because Ace, Sugar and then Kelley will all go before they have to consider voting off one of their own.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, looks like they all "turned" on GC since he indicated that he wanted out. Man, I don't get what people are thinking when they sign up for this.... by this time, and especially since everyone else who quit on the show keep saying "It's harder than I thought", people should know that this game is hard! Maybe they think they're different, that they can handle it? Ugh... obviously it's good for the other players because that puts them one step closer to the million, but I'm sure tons of other people are thinking, "If he didn't want to be on the show, *I* could have been on and had his place."

That's what I remember from last Thursday. That and the Fang tribe is just weak and keeps losing :)

E

EricBess

Man, I for one was surprised when GC quit. I mean, he never gave any indication that he was a quitter...:rolleyes:

I'm actually surprised that they weren't suspicious of Candy and the idol anyway, considering how happy she was coming back from Exile. Wonder if anyone noticed that she seemed to be well-fed, etc. etc. Of course, no one else there has been to exile, so they would have no reason to suspect the "Sugar Shack"...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, plus, since it's her third time, they gotta figure she's close to the idol, if she doesn't already have it (which obviously her team knows). Maybe the other team isn't worried about it 'cause they're hoping Fang will vote her off before the merge and she can use it or something...

E

EricBess

Well, Jeff asked why they kept sending Candy, and their response was, "She's a weaker member, so if she finds the idol, she'll probably have to use it before the merge."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I missed that, I thought they just said "It's strategy" or something (although maybe that was the explanation for the "strategy".) But how do they know she's a weaker member? Physically? If they've been watching previous Survivors, they should know being weaker physically doesn't mean they're in danger if they're in a strong alliance...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Finally saw last Thursday's show...

boy, Fang just can't get it together in challenges. First they dropped like flies in the reward challenge (cool that Bob stayed with it for Kota) and then they couldn't get it together for immunity. Not sure what was up with Kelli and Sugar in the first leg of the race that Jeff had to call out to them to get moving, but all of the other teams made up the time and then some but they couldn't get the pole together. Was Ace to blame? Hard to tell - obviously the show wanted us to believe it, but I can't believe he's THAT dumb to keep trying his pole when it obviously doesn't fit. Was he trying the others? Not sure. The others just seemed to step back and watch him do it (after he yelled at them) so just not sure what he was doing.

Can't believe Sugar just gave the idol to Ace and then told Kenny about it - she seems VERY open. It seems like she has a plan (the whole "he's my snake" bit), but man, I don't know if it's going to work.

It would have been nice to get Ace or Sugar or the idol out, but everyone's looking out for themselves on that tribe and those who don't have tha majority alliance are just getting picked off. - poor Crystal thought she was in one but Matthew turned around with his alliance with Ace.

So not much was shown with Kota due to Fang's losing problems, but it would be interesting to see if Dan makes it far, due to his "overeating" :) Not sure why no one is speaking up about it if they all feel the same way - maybe Dan's in a majority alliance there and they don't want to get noticed? Not sure...

E

EricBess

Those poles must have been pretty heavy. I got the impression that both Sugar and Kelly were struggling just to lift them. Everyone else seemed pretty winded when they got back, but still had the upper-body strength to drag them well enough. With those two, I just got the impression that the problem wasn't being winded, but just that they weren't strong enough to get them very far each "pull".

And yeah, I think Sugar is overly trusting when someone is "on her side". Some people seem to get "caught up in the game" when they need to take a step back and realize that this is, in the end, a free-for-all. She probably didn't even consider that Ace really would stab her in the back until she talked to Kenny. At that point, she did take a step back and realize that her strategy to protect the idol really did put her in danger. If she was expecting to get voted off, she should use the idol, not protect it...

I think one of the problems the Fang tribe is currently having is that there hasn't been any declared alliance that I recall. So Kenny and Crystal just assume they have an alliance with Matty because they started on the same tribe, but if they've never talked to Matty about it, then Matty probably assumes they have a declared alliance with someone...just not him. So even though they have numbers, they don't feel that way individually. Plus, Crystal just seems like a really lose cannon right now. I don't think she is as bad as GC was, but she's getting there...

They have announced that next week is the week that both teams are elminating a member. If I've counted right, that puts them at 10 after that, which traditionally is the merge. So next week could be defining, depending on who gets eliminated.