Survivor: China

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So... anyone watching? Initial impressions?

I think Chicken is a great name :D It's also too bad he got voted off, as he seemed he knew what he was doing. It seems he tries to offer advice on the first day, no one listened, so he didn't push it. Then when they wanted his advice again and he didn't want to offer it, he got voted out.

I thought a tribe didn't get to keep their fire torches until they got fire back at camp?

That WWE wrestler seems like a pain... and that waitress from NY seems like a prima donna... I mean, c'mon, you should know by now what you're signing up for.

E

EricBess

I thought it was interesting that no one said anything about Chicken until after they had lost immunity and then they just voted him out. I'm fairly certain it was a case of, "let's just get rid of the old guy, we need strength" without really thinking it through.

I'm not really sure who I think should have been voted off instead, though. Ashley (the wrestler) was on the block because she was sick, but she recovered and will likely start pulling her weight, so I don't think it would have been a good idea to kick her off either.

I think Peih-Gee probably should have gone. Right after you lose the immunity challenge is a really bad time to start bossing people around. I like how when Jeff asked about leadership, Dave sort of reluctantly agreed to help pull people together than then Peih-Gee jumped in and basically declared herself in charge. From what I've seen, the best way to get back on top of challenges isn't to eliminate the weak, but instead to eliminate the contention. I think Peih-Gee would have been the best choice to kick off personally.

And yeah, Courtney (the New York waitress) really has issues. Leslie (the Christian talk-show host) stepped out during the ritual because she felt it compromised her beliefs. While I think she went a bit extream (I believe you can show respect to a custom without worshiping in your heart), I can at least understand why she did what she did. Courtney completely blew it off and was far more disrespectful of their customs. And there have been New York contenstants before who have gotten along fine with others. She must be a real up-town number. Hope she doesn't end up breaking any nails...

E

EricBess

I always use the CBS website because I can't remember everyone's names either. The first few episodes, I have a tough enough time just keeping track of who's on which team.

The one person that I hope does well is James (the gravedigger). He's not very outgoing, so if he just doesn't fit in, he might have problems, but he seems to be a very down-to-earth person (no pun intended).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I hate when I have Friday off and I can't remember what happened... :)

Just that the tribe winning the challenges seem to be on a roll. I wasn't sure if Ashley would have been voted out but she and Danny? were definitely the top two due to their conflicting personalities. Although I think that if they go again to tribal council, he's gonna go.

I need you to jog my memory more :)

N

Nightstalkers

In other news, participants in the newest edition of the popular TV series, Survivor: China, have mysteriously died from heavy lead poisoning. News at Eleven.

E

EricBess

Yeah, I guess I should have posted sooner because I have some of the same memory issues...Dave is the guy who didn't get along with Ashley. From what I saw, it looks like his idea of being the "leader" is basically making all the decisions. He seems to ask everyone their opinion and then discount what everyone else says and make a command decision to do things his way.

Last week, he seemed like he had it together. This week, he went on a power trip. Personally, I'm surprised that he wasn't voted off instead of Ashley because it seemed to me that he was rubbing a few other people the wrong way also. But, there were also comments about him "stepping up", which I felt were odd, because while he stepped up in the sense of volunteering, all he really started doing was to cause contention around camp as far as I could tell...

Jean-Robert is the poker player who is intentionaly being lazy (so he claims). He's playing a dangerous game. However, he did turn on some serious action at the ball-rolling challenge. I still think he's in trouble if his tribe every does lose an imunity challenge.

Remember that season where one tribe completely dominated everything? There were a few people on the losing tribe that season that you really felt bad for because they deserved more. I'm not sure there is anyone on the losing tribe this season that I would upset about seeing go (maybe Frosti)...But there are a few that haven't really had the spotlight yet though (Sherea and Erik, for example), so who knows...

I liked the twist, but I think Jaime completely misplayed it. Her comment of "I'll give it to the person I consider the weakest" shows that she's not thinking outside the box. The game is still early and she's been given a chance to form an informal alliance with someone from the other tribe. I would want to find someone that I thought might be a bit of an outsider, but not their weakest. I would want someone that would play under the radar, but that would last. Ironically, I think she ended up picking a decent person to share with, but for the wrong reasons.

And what's with Todd??? Maybe they should just cut him the check for the million right now. Three separate people have independantly come to him to form some sort of alliance. If he can manage to keep people from feeling like he's stabbed them in the back, I don't see how he can lose.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yea for memory jog! :)

Yeah, I think people initially liked Dave "stepping up" and I guess he was vindicated by the flood and his firepit was saved, but yeah, if he keeps "ordering" people around, he's gonna be the next to go and P-G will take over.

I think Jean-Robert is gonna go. Despite his help in the challenge, it's the everyday stuff that people are gonna see and remember.

Yeah, last week was so focused on Dave and Ashley that we haven't seen much of the rest of the tribe...

And yeah, I think Jaime made a big mistake. Of course, she couldn't know then, but wow, if she was watching Thursday and saw Todd's? comment about him just using her to get the idol, she had to be kicking herself (if she hasn't already from future shows and results :) )

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Woo! Saw last night's....

I was starting to like James before his little one-on-one time with Jean Robert. I couldn't understand all they were saying, but it sounded like he was agreeing with JR to just use the girls?

Funny how in the challenge that the girls were strong on one side and the guys were strong on the other. Also funny how by the third time, the strong side knew they could take on the weak side and just went at it :)

Courtney was horrible in the immunity challenge. Kinda like that fire-starting tie-breaker a couple of seasons ago, except this was more physical and somehow she messed up her hands? I mean, it just looked like she wasn't putting any effort into it. But her team roared back after she was done; if she had kept up, they probably would have won.

I wasn't surprised to see Leslie go; she was too nice. I don't think she was "cutthroat" or savvy/strategic enough to last and play Survivor. Unless Courtney is strong mentally, she probably should go next, although I'd also like to see JR go as he comes across as very arrogant.

E

EricBess

I actually think Leslie was a victim of the format. It's probably clear to everyone by now that there is going to be a "kidnapping" after every reward challenge and Leslie's willingness to talk is a lot larger of a liability than it might have been in other seasons. I think Courtney would have gone if there wasn't the constant threat of "loose lips".

John Robert got a reprieve because of Courtney's performance, though. I think if it hadn't been for that then they wouldn't have been as concerned about the challenges. They've been dominating so far, so if the challenge had been squeeked out instead of a rout because of Courtney, then more people might have stuck with the original plan.

I'm not sure what happened with Courtney, but I think she just didn't grip very tight. Her swings simply weren't connecting and the problem with her hands looked like blisters to me, which would happen if she didn't have a good grip.

James took less than 10-seconds by contrast to punch through his. And Todd was just spinning the disks into place until John Robert got in his way and he couldn't see what he was doing.

I'm actually surprised they sat Courtney out of the reward challenge, though. Sure, she would have been a liability there, but could Leslie possibly have been a larger liability than Courtney was at immunity? I think they were so used to winning that losing didn't even seem possible to them.

On that team, if they lose again immediately, I suspect that Courtney will go, particularly if they lose again because of her (through I'm guessing they will plan better so they can sit here out next week). If he continues to play the game they way he has (act like a jerk, but try to dominate the challenges), then I don't see John Robert lasting either.

On the other tribe, Dave's days are definitely numbered the way he's been acting. What was all that with the rock?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I guess it wasn't too surprising that Dave left, although I thought Sheree would have had some votes based on her not working in camp. But maybe that was only the times that the show wanted us to see and she worked other times. I think Dave got good advice from the Asian dude, about if you're a leader, you need to work with the people you're leading, but it did seem like Dave just had his own mind set and wasn't listening to anyone in his tribe.

The immunity challenge was pretty cool, with the "impact hammers" or whatever they're called :)

It looks like Jean-Robert's plan is working, from starting out lazy and slowly increasing his usefulness.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the switching of tribe members was kinda dopey. I can't believe that one tribe (still get them mixed up) didn't think that the other tribe would be taking two of their members. Jaime and P.G. did a good job analyzing why they should throw the challenge though, but I hope it doesn't come back to bite them, like the tribes will merge next week instead of in two weeks as P.G. thinks.

E

EricBess

I agree that it's unbelievable that the one tribe thought they were getting to choose the best two players from the other tribe without having to lose anything. I actually thought that the tribe swap was an interesting way to mix up the tribes. They often do something a couple of episodes before the merge to shake up the tribes.

Next week's could be potentially interesting. If John Robert is the poker player he claims to be, or if anyone was even remotely paying attention, they should realize what was going on this week. It could be the first time in Survivor history that both teams are trying to throw it, leaving James fighting along against Serina and Frosty for their lives. That's an episode that would be interesting to watch...

I agree that the reasoning behind P.G. and Jaime's move was good, but the implimentation was very short-sighted. For one things, in this season more than any other, there is no evidence of tribal loyalty. There are quite a few "partnerships" going on, but beyond that, Todd is the only one that seems to have any tribal loyalty with more than one person.

For example, James has a good relationship with John Robert and also with Denise, but Denise and John Robert cannot stand each other. The rest (Todd, Courtney and Amanda - Miss "nobody even knows I exist yet") seem okay with Denise, but don't really like John Robert or James.

I actually think Aaron had the right idea. He was completely prepared to switch tribes and allegances, while holding his options open with Todd and the gang for the merge.

I think P.G. is more likely to get bitten if the merge is in 3 weeks than in 1, however ;)...I don't see Erik and Jaime writing each other's names down. I wouldn't mind seeing that happen...

The one things that really bothered me about P.G. and Jaime's plan, though, is that they didn't even talk to Erik about it. I think Erik's trust in Jaime is going to waver because of that and I doubt he has any loyalty to P.G. at this point, though that could change if the merge goes as planned.

E

EricBess

Ug...Are things falling apart?

Todd's plan was great, but there was only one flaw. Unfortunately, it may turn out to be pretty major. Namely, he should have realized from the onset that they didn't need to win the challenge. He got so caught up in how cool it would be to have James spring the idol, that he failed to take into consideration that they didn't need to, it was just a safety net.

In other words, "Hey guys, I've found the idol and I'm giving it to James to protect him. They clearly through the challenge last time, so they may do it again and we need to protect him to keep him solid with us."

The problem with how it went down is that everyone felt like it was a failed plan. In a way it was, they didn't want to have the dejection that tribal counsel always brings, even if you already know you're just trimming dead weight. But if they had addressed it as a safety net in the first place, it wouldn't have been such a let down.

The follow-up, however, could prove to be very bad. Oh, so that's Amanda...they decided to give her a speaking part this week. What? Vote off Sherea instead of John Robert? Great plan until Coutney started campaining. At that point, they should have let Courtney call the shots right now while it's not as important.

Instead, how do the numbers look? Todd and Amanda seem solid. James and Denise are in, no problem. That's 4. Frosty might have some loyalty because of how the idol went down, but his own tribe still exists. John Robert will just as soon stab you in the back as ask you to dinner. Courtney doesn't feel secure in her place at the moment, so she becomes a wildcard also. And the worst ever is that everyone knows that Todd is calling the shots which makes him a danger.

Vote off John Robert and you have demonstrated to Frosty and Sherea that the game isn't about tribes. Frosty may have some loyalty now, but he also has to feel like if they were to get rid of one more, it would be him. He and Sherea are a risk either way, but if they feel like it's going to be a tie anyway, they may just side with you to avoid that. I'm guessing that won't happen now. The key would have been Courtney, giving the solid 5. If either of the other two wanted to avoid the tie, that's your majority.

Next week should be interesting. The previews seem to indicate that the merge is happening.

My applause to James. THAT'S how to throw a challenge. I couldn't believe that he wasn't even allowed that minor victory since Denise simply couldn't do it. PG and Jaime were too obvious. No one would have suspected that James could have just grabbed the bird and downed it in an instant. I can't help but wonder if he was holding his head under the table to avoid anyone seeing him laughing. I've never seen anyone so dejected for winning a challenge.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I totally agree with everything you said.

Except I think Frosti is in with Todd and Amanda. I don't think he feels too tied to his old tribe.

But yeah, giving the idol to James was a HUGE mistake. The looks on their faces when they lost the challenge was hilarious - James and Todd especially (well, like you said, when James's tribe WON the challenge).

I think they should have voted off Jean Robert also, but only because (to the viewers), it did seem like Sherea and Frosti weren't totally with their old tribe. But since they didn't know, they went with what they had. I was amused at Sherea's ending statement when she said something like "They voted off their strongest player in challenges" :)