Survival of the Fittest

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Heavy B, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Heavy B Been gone too long

The card reads G, : texttexttext...

As much as I hate to have to ask this...

How does one read the comma behind the Green mana symbol?

- Does it indicate that the entirety of the text must be satisfied before any other action may be taken? Therefore I discard, select a creature, reveal it, put it in my hand, shuffle and then move on with the turn? Can I repeat the action multiple times within the turn?

- Pestilence, for example, reads B: texttexttext which means that for each B one damage is done and that the action can be repeated whenever the rules allow.
  2. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Sort of. Everything that comes before the colon is part of the cost to play the ability. The comma between the green mana symbol and the "discard a card" text separates the two costs.

Yes. You can repeat the action multiple times as long as you have the green mana and a creature card to discard. Not sure why you would think otherwise.

(- Steve -)
  3. Heavy B Been gone too long

No particular reason. The comma just threw me off. It makes sense that the card would follow the rule about fast-effects being played whenever legal but I wasn't sure.

Thanks for the help.
  4. Oversoul The Tentacled One

All cards that have activated abilities with more than one requirement for activation use commas to separate the parts of the activation and a colon to signify the end of this series of costs. I suppose it could read "G and choose and discard a card" but that still might throw some people off and would be clumsy on cards with three or four separate costs for one ability.
  5. Heavy B Been gone too long

Roger.

Thank you very much.