Subterfuge Compilation : Artifact and Land

L

Landkiller

land cycle idea...
Lochs of Dread --OG by Duster
Land

Tap: Add B to your mana pool.
Tap: Add R to your mana pool and return ~this~ to your hand.
Tap: Add U to your mana pool and return ~this~ to your hand.

--Duster

Lochs of Dread
Land
Lochs of Dread comes into play tapped.
T: Add B to your mana pool.
T: Add either R or B to your mana pool and return ~this~ to your hand.

Less broken version of Lochs.
-- NeuroDeus

Duster's lands seem alright. They don't give a huge upset to the game when played, AND they are helpful the that player. Not a bad make.

--Ransac

Lochs of Dread is useless if you make it a tapland and make it return to your hand. Try this:

Lochs of Dread
Land
T: Add B to your mana pool. Lochs of Dread deals 1 damage to you.
T: Add U to your mana pool. Return Lochs of Dread to owner's hand.
T: Add R to your mana pool. Lochs of Dread does not untap during your next untap step.

--Cateran Emp.

Lochs of Dread - Balanced. Make one for each color, and those would be our nonbasic lands for this set. Doesn't need to come into play tapped due to the fact that you can only play four. Should read:
Lochs of the Dead
Land
T: Add B to your mana pool.
T: Add R to your mana pool. Return ~ to your hand.
T: Add U to your mana pool. Return ~ to your hand.

--Istanbul

A for lands, I have that taken care of, back on the first few pages I suggested an idea, and here's how it turned out...

Lochs of Dread
Land

As ~this~ comes into play, you lose 1 life.
T: Add U to your mana pool.
T: Add B to your mana pool and return ~this~ to your hand.
T: Add W to your mana pool and return ~this~ to your hand.
--Duster

The life loss on the Lochs of Dread is too much, it turns them into substandard painlands.

How about making them into 'little' Undiscovered Paradise.

Lochs of Dread
Land
Tap: Add 1 to your mana pool
Tap: Add U or B to your mana pool. Return Lochs of Dread to your hand at the end of the turn.
--Sidar Jabari

I'd like to keep the bouncelands tri-colored.
So how about...

Lochs of Dread
Land

~this~ comes into play tapped.
T: Add B or W to your mana pool and return ~this~ to your hand.
--Duster

Anyway, back to the Locks of Dread. I really like your new version.
Lets have a look at how it works.

1st turn played: Does nothing

Every other turn: Make U and play a different land, make W and replay the lochs OR make B and replay the lochs.

Nice and balanced.
--Sidar Jabari

Soul Generator -- OG by NeuroDeus
Artifact
T, Pay X Life,Tap a non-artifact creature you control : Add X mana of any color to your mana pool. You may not pay more than 5 life each turn.

I suggested this one weeks ago and now I fixed it bit by putting 'non-artifact' in the cost as it not making people use the Ornithopter or similiar 0 mana costing creature. Usable mostly 2 or 3 turn.
----------------------------------------------------

--NeuroDeus

-This looks good, but maybe a bit too powerful? How about XX life as the activation cost? (With the tap thing, of course) Or do you think its balanced as is?
--FoR

Soul Generator - Dangerous. Picture this alongside Dark Ritual. Swamp, Ritual, Soul Generator, Carnophage. Next turn, Swamp, activate Generator for 5, play Avatar of Woe. Or turn 1, Forest, Llanowar Elf. Turn 2, Forest, activate Soul Generator for 5, play Verdant Force.
-- Istanbul

about soul generator... every card is dangerous with dark ritual around... try focusing just on the card... try not to think about out cards...

I arranged the generator a bit...

Soul Generator - Rare
Artifact
T, Pay X Life,Tap a non-artifact creature you control : Choose a color other. Add X mana of the choosen color to your mana pool. You may not pay more than 5 life each turn.
--NeuroDeus

Duster, The land idea seems kinda cool, but lets not make it so plain...maybe something like:

Dustland --OG by FoR(?)
T: Add R to your mana pool, return this card to your hand.
R, T: Dustland deals one damage to target creature. Return this card to your hand.

Thats really weak, but I think you guys get the idea...

--FoR

Let's try the Dustland next.

Dustland
Land
T: Add 1R to your mana pool. This mana can only be spent to play red creature spells.
RR, sacrifice a red creature: Dustland deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
--Cat.Emp.

Imperial Armada (6) -- OG by Duke
Artifact
As Imperial Armada comes to play, put all Imperial Armada cards from your hand into play, and search your library for all Imperial Armada cards and put them into play. Shuffle your library.
Tap an untapped creature you control, tap: Imperial Armada deals X damage to target creature, where X is the number of untapped Imperial Armada permanents you control.
--Duke
Imperial Armada - Should cost 5.
--Istanbul
Imperial Armada - AGREED
--Duke

Watch Tower - Common --OG by NeuroDeus
Artifact Creature - Tower
0/3
Watch Tower counts as a Wall
1,T : Watch-Tower deals 2 damage to target attacking creature that Watch Tower is not blocking.
--NeuroDeus

Watch Tower is too simple, and powerful too.
--Duke
Watch Tower - Make it deal 1 damage. Otherwise, you're essentially paying 2 for a 2/3 wall, and that's way too good.
--Istanbul

Blood Bank 4 -- OG by Bob
Artifact
0: Deal 1 damage to target untapped creature you control. That creature taps. put a blood counter on blood bank
Remove a counter from blood bank: prevent 2 damage to any creature or gain 2 life.
"For a measly 4 pints of blood, you can win - a small mug!"
Uncommon
--Bob

Blood Bank - Weird little card you got there now...I know it's not too powerful. Please don't say this is too broken, anyone - because it's not. First off, you need a creature (most likely, one that survives the 1 damage), then you need to tap that creature (making it unable to attack OR block), and THEN, you could gain the 2 life or prevent the 2 damage. It's balanced, however...I, to an extent, dislike the life gain/damage prevention cards because their effects are too minimal.
--Duke

Dynamite 3 -- OG by Bob
Artifact
Comes into play with a light counter on it, and 2 fuse counters
0: remove the light counter. Each upkeep, remove a fuse couner. When you no longer can, sacrifice Dynamite and destroy target land you control. Deal 2 damage to all creatures
Rare
--Bob

Dynamite - Cool. I can't judge if it's too powerful, maybe the casting cost should be increased to 4, MAYBE. Needs templating; that's how it's to be written:

Dynamite (4)
Artifact
Dynamite comes into play with 1 light, and 2 fuse counters.
0: Remove a light counter from Dynamite.
At the beginning of your upkeep step, if Dynamite has no light counters on it, remove a fuse coutner from Dynamite, if you can't, sacrifice Dynamite, sacrifice a land, and deal 2 damage to all creatures.
"It's only a matter of time..."
--Duke

-(Refers to OG)
This isn't too powerful. Its essentially a 2 point earthquake for 3 and sacrificing a land. That could actually be considered over costed if you think about it.
--Jaws10387

I like Dynamite the way it is, in response to Jaws' concerns about it being overcosted, the fact that it's colorless damage makes it worth the extra mana and times. Rath's Edge uses 4 mana and a land to do 1 damage and it's still "playable."

Maybe a more clever name too? I have no ideas, but "Dynamite" seems a little plain, and as much as I'd want it to be DynOmyte!, it won't happen.
--Duster

Dynamite: This does seem a little weak to me. Having to wait for such a long time for such a small effect seems like a negligible benefit, if one at all.
Might I suggest something which is admittedly different?

Dynamite
Artifact
Dynamite comes into play tapped.
Tap: Put a fuse counter on dynamite.
3, Tap, Remove two fuse counters from Dynamite, Sacrifice Dynamite: Dynamite deals 9 damage to target player.

That is a lot of damage for 4 mana but anyone knows it's coming and if the opponent has a way of dealing with it it's useless. Of course, my changing it so much might cause a problem.
--TICM

How about this version of Dynamite?

Dynamite 4
Artifact
When Dynamite comes into play, put two fuse counters on it.
Remove a fuse counter during your upkeep.
2, T: Remove a fuse counter from Dynamite.
T, Sacrifice Dynamite: Choose one; either destroy target creature; or Dynamite deals 6 damage to target player.

You can speed up the blast if you want...and while Dynamite really ought to just flat-out blow up a creature, 6 damage to a player is quite nice for 4 mana.

-

--Istanbul

River of Souls --OG by FoR
Land
Whenever a creature enter or leaves play, gain 1 life.

-Crazy. Its really good, but life gain should be good, not stupid like it used to be. And it is a non-mana producing land...comments?

--FoR

River or Souls - Good, but I don't think it'll see much play, since playing it is taking 1 turn without developing the mana base. I think it should come into play tapped, and be able to add for colorless mana.
--Duke

River of Souls. Everyone would play 4. I mean everyone. It's just so powerful.

Can anyone say 'The next Rishidan Port' ?

How about?

River of Souls
Land
When river of souls comes into play search your libray, hand and graveyard for all copies of River of Souls and remove them from the game.
Whenever any player successfully casts a creture spell gain 1 life.
Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard from play gain 1 life.
--Sidar Jabari

Can I make just one more comment about River of Souls? In removing the 'gain one life when any creture goes to the graveyard' ability you remove the whole flavour of the card. Having a 'gain one life when a creature comes into play' ability can be heavily abused with token creture generation and that quality of lifegain just shouldn't be non-white.

Also giving it the ability to produce mana removes the neccessity to make a true commitment to a certain style of deck and everyone will just splash it because there it has no disadvantage.

Just one more time.

River of Souls
Land
Whenever a player sucessfully casts a creature spell gain one life.
Whenever a creature goes into a graveyard from play gain one life.
--Sidar Jabari

River of Souls
Legendary Land
Whenever a player successfully casts a creature spell gain one life.
Whenever a creature goes into a graveyard from play gain one life.
--Sidar Jabari

River of Souls also looks good. Maybe we could add some kind of bounce mechanic to that as well?

--Duster

Caldera <something> --OG by Sidar Jabari
Land
Tap: Add 1 to your mana pool
Tap: Add R or U to your mana pool. Return ~this~ to your hand.

In the same way that the painlands are the babies City of Brass, this is the baby of Undiscovered Paradise. I think it's balanced now.
Of course, it doesn't have to be opposed colours, it's just that they've been missing for a long time.

--Sidar Jabari

Stone of Order 2 -- OG by Landkiller
Artifact
2, Sacrifice Stone of Order : All players with four or more cards in hand discard cards until they each have three cards in hand.
--Landkiller

Stone of Order - First turn: Swamp. 7 cards in hand. Second turn: Swamp, Ritual, Stone of Order, Sacrifice same. I discard a card or two, you discard a LOT.
--Istanbul

Stone of Order 2
Artifact
2, Sacrifice Stone of Order : All players with more than four cards in hand discard cards until they each have
four cards in hand.
--Landkiller

This is ok. It can be a pretty good drop against those decks that draw like crazy.
--Superguy

Stone of Chaos 3 --OG by Landkiller
Artifact
3, Sacrifice Stone of Chaos : All players with four or less cards in hand draw cards until they each have five cards in hand.
--Landkiller
Stone of Chaos - Insanely good. Very Memory Jar-ish. Give this to Fires for an auto-win.
--Istanbul

Stone of Chaos 3
Artifact
3, Sacrifice Stone of Chaos : All players with less than four cards in hand draw cards until they each have four cards in hand.
--Landkiller
This is awesome, yet not broken. It is a card against a control deck also, since they usually have 4 or more cards in hand, and it allows you to refill your hand with goodies.
--Superguy

Place of Power --OG by Landkiller
Land
T : Add 1 to your mana pool
1, T : Each player draws a card.
--Landkiller

Place of Power - Change to 'Each player may draw a card' to prevent Vise abuse.
--Istanbul
Place of Power :: Yes, may draw a card seems more appropriate
--Landkiller

Hot Potato (or maybe Time Bomb, Live Grenade, whatever) --OG by Baskil
Artifact
Rare
During your upkeep, put a heat(or time) counter on Hot Potato
At the end of your turn, sacrifice a land. Otherwise, take X damage where X is equal to the number of heat counters on Hot Potato
Sacrifice a land: Remove a heat counter from Hot Potato
Sacrifice a land: Target player gains control of Hot Potato
"Ooo, aahh, ow"
--Baskil
I like it, but I can't speak for everyone else. It'll have to be renamed (We're trying to make a 'serious' set) and I'd probably reduce it's casting cost and maybe remove the 'sac a land: Remove a heat counter' ability because it wouln't really get used, seeing as you could sac a land to prevent the damge or sack a land to give it away.

How about

Pain Engine 4
Artifact
During your upkeep put a pain counter on Pain Engine.
At the end of your turn sacrifice a land or take X damage, where X is equal to the number of pain counters on Pain Engine.
Sacrifice a land: Target player gains control of Pain Engine
--Sidar Jabari

Switchblade 4 --OG by Duster
Artifact

2, Tap: ~this~ does 1 damage to target creature.
Tap, sacrifice ~this~: put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
-- Duster

Switch Blade - Good, but powerful. We'll see what happens during playtest.
--Sidar Jabari

Switchblade:
This is like Dragon Blood from Saga but more usable. I like it.
--FoR

I'm still sacred of Switchblade. I'm sacred of any artifact that does reusable direct damge. Cursed scroll, Masticore etc.. it needs to be watched.
--Sidar Jabari

I was concerned about the colorless damage of Switchblade too... maybe increase the activation cost for that ability?
--Duster

-Switchblade:
We'll watch it.
--FoR

Lightning Rod 2 -- OG by Duster
Artifact

Damage done to you or creatures you control by spells is reduced to 0.
--Duster

Lightning Rod - Good.
--Sidar Jabari

Lightning Rod:
Killer, I would make it non-creature spells.
--FoR

I believe Lightning Rod is okay.
--Duster

Tripwire 2 -- OG by Duster
Artifact

All creatures lose Haste.
So much for the element of surprise.
--Duster

Tripwire - Great! Get lost Fires of Yavimaya!
--Sidar Jabari
Tripwire:
I really like this anti-fires card, but I think the CC should either be 1, or make it a cantrip.
--FoR

Tripwire: I agree that it should be a cantrip.
---Sidar Jabari

Tripwire is definately good for a cantrip.
--Duster

Sheltered Vale -- OG by NeuroDeus
Land
When Sheltered Vale comes into play chose a color. Sheltered Vale comes into play tapped. Sheltered Vale may not be the target of spells or abilities that target lands.
T:Add one mana of the choosen color to your mana pool.
{Quiet a good card that has no drawback, except that it comes into play tapped, and the ability for the play to chose what colored mana the land will produce. The "Sheltered" part is that it cannot be target of spells/abilities that target lands, making it quiet good a resistance against targeting land destruction spells}
--NeuroDeus

Sheltered Vale:
This card is way to good. I cant find a way to fix it. I suggest cutting it, but we do need at least one multi-color land in this set.
--FoR

Scepter of Might --OG by NeuroDeus
Artifact
When Scepter of Might comes into play you lose half your life rounded up. Scepter of Might comes into play tapped. Scepter of Might may not be target of spells or abilities that target artifacts.
T: Add one colorless mana to your mana pool.
T: Destroy target tapped artifact.
T: Destroy target non-basic land.
T: Scepter of Might deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
{The drawback is awful but it gives one mighty scepter that kicks permanents like nothing.}
--NeuroDeus

Scepter of Might:
This card is just....weird. I vote to cut it.
--FoR

{Diseased Lands} --OG by NeuroDeus
Land
Whenever {Diseased Lands} is returned to its owner's hand it deals 1 damage to it's owner. Whenever you play a basic land return {Diseased Lands} to its owner's hand.
Whenever a creature is tapped, {Diseased Lands} deals 3 damage to it. That damage may not be prevented or redirected.
-- NeuroDeus

-Diseased Lands:
I like this card, but it might be too good...I doubt it though. Its just fun. We need a waaaay better name though.
--FoR

I really like ~Diseased Lands~ fitting in with the whole "bouncelands" concept, but 3 colorless damage is a lot, especially when it's easitly dealt, I think 1 is plenty.

~Diseased Lands~
Land

Whenever ~this~ is returned to its owner's hand it deals 1 damage to it's owner.
Whenever you play a basic land return ~this~ to its owner's hand.
Whenever a creature is tapped, ~this~ deals 1 damage to it. That damage may not be prevented or redirected.

or how about...

~Diseased Lands~
Land

If ~this~ is put in it's owner's hand from play, it does 2 damamge to target creature or player.
Whenever you play a basic land, return ~this~ to it's owner's hand.
--Duster

about Diseased Lands : change the name but leave it to 3 damage. It deals 3 damage to all creatures.... not just opponenets
--NeuroDeus

Athenaeum --OG by Duster
Legendary Land

T: Draw a card and return ~this~ to your hand.
--Duster

Athaneum
Legendary Land
During your upkeep, put a power token on Athaneum
Remove three power tokens from Athaneum: Draw a card.
If you play a land, return Athaneum to it's owners hand
--Sidar Jabari
As for Athenaeum, how about...

Athenaeum
Legendary Land

T: Draw a card and skip your next turns' draw step. Return ~this~ to your hand.

or

Athenaeum
Legendary Land
T: Draw a card and remove ~this~ from the game.
--Duster

Unfortunately, both your Athaneum ideas are a tiny bit weak.

The first version alows you to draw a card every turn (Just like you normally do) at the low, low cost of not being able to play any other lands. Not too hot.The other version does nothing. It's just a slow cantrip. It's worse than Opt. I'm not trying to disrespect your ideas, I appreciate how hard it is to balance lands, and you've done a good job on Locks of Dread!

My version gives you an extra card every three turns as long as you don't play any lands. Which is quite fair, I think.
--Sidar Jabari

So for Athenaeum, how about... I just changed the name of Sidar's counters and some of the wording

Athenaeum
Legendary Land

During your upkeep, you may put a Book counter on ~this~.If a land comes into play under your control, return ~this~ to it's owners hand.
Remove three Book counters from ~this~: Draw a card.

I'm worried about whether or not this would send itself back to your hand when it comes into play. Would this fix that?

Athenaeum
Legendary Land

During your upkeep, you may put a Book counter on ~this~.
If any time after ~this~ is played, a land comes into play under your control, return ~this~ to it's owners hand.
Remove three Book counters from ~this~: Draw a card.
--Duster

Nether Citadel --OG by Sidar Jabari (?)
Legendary Land
When Nether Citadel comes into play lose 1 life
Whenever any ceature becomes tapped, Nether Citadel deals 1 damage to it.
If you play a land, return Nether Citadel to it's owners hand
--Sidar Jabari(?)

I like the current version of Nether Citadel, but maybe we could work on the name some more.
--Duster

Tyranny's Tower (Rename of Nether Citadel)
Legendary Land
Whenever Tyranny's Tower comes into play lose 1 life.
Whenever any ceature becomes tapped, Tyranny's Tower deals 1 damage to it and it does not untap during it's controllers next untap phase.
If you play a land, return Tyranny's Tower to its owner's hand.
"A place of dread and terror"

You people like this version?
--NeuroDeus

One little tweak:

Tyrant's Sanctuary
Land
At the beginning of your upkeep, pay BB or sacrifice Tyrant's Sanctuary
Whenever a creature with power three or greater taps, return Tyrant's Sanctuary to its owner's hand and destroy all creatures with toughness two or less.

Wacky huh? I tried to make it the ultimate anti-weenie card, and then made it a non-Legendary Land. Multiple copies of it in play are detrimental after all, so there's no need for it. Now, let me see if I can fix my earlier stuff.
--Cat.Emp.

Now, onto Tyrannys Tower/ Tyrants Sanctuary/ Nether Citadel/ Diseased Lands. What ever version were looking at, they hurt weenie decks. Ask yourself, do we really need to do that? Are there any really hard weenie decks out at the moment? Have we even put enough weenies in this set to make weenie decks viable? I think the answer to all of those is no.

And remember, if we put that kind of ability on a land, every one can use it. And they will, just like with Rishidan port. We have to be reeeally careful with lands and artifacts, especially those that deal damage. (Just look at Cursed Scroll and Masticore!) Anyway, I'm sure we'll make a good decision, right?
--Sidar Jabari

Mechanical Means 1 --OG by FoR
Artifact
1, Sacrifice Mechanical Means, Choose one: Remove the top 6 cards of target players library from the game; regenerate target permanent in play; or put a 2/1 thopter token with flying into play.
--FoR

Mechanical Means might be too powerful. It's too flexible to cost (1). At the cost of 2, however, it works out pretty nicely.
--Duke

Mechanical Means:
We should probablly raise the cc to 2, and change the thopter token to a 2/2.
--FoR

Mechanical Means can't cost (2) and give you a 2/2 flier, simply because it's an artifact...meaning that any color could add it. It is already very good, due to the status of being an artifact AND having flexibility. Keep the creature 2/1...this way, we could make the card common...a VERY solid common.
--Duke

Mechanical Means:
The ability requires 1 to activate. So, in total, it would be a 2/2 flyer for 3, which is good for an artifact.
--FoR

WillStone 1 --OG by FoR
Artifact
1: Target player puts the top card of their library into their graveyard. Any player may play this ability.

-You see, its a milling race! This might be too powerful in a deck based around it though.
--FoR

WillStone is too powerful. Make the activasion ability cost 2.
--Duke

WillStone:
I figured it would be...activation 2 looks good!
--FoR

Millatog 3 -- OG by FoR
Artifact creature- Atog
Your opponent searches through your library and removes 3 cards from the game. Shuffle your library afterwards: Millatog gains +4+4 and is either a black or white creature until end of turn. You may only use this ability once per turn.
1/2
--FoR

Millatog: I like Atogs. I like the Millstone tie-in. It might be too powerful, though. It could easily come out first or second turn; the 3 cards removed may not have a chance to make a difference when you're facing a 5/6 creature. I'm not sure, though...will there be playtesting for the set?
--Sammy Dead-O

Millatog:
Your right Sammy, this is kinda overpowered, I dont think by much though...here:

Millatog 3
Artifact creature- Atog
1: Your opponent searches through your library and removes 3 cards from the game. Shuffle your library afterwards: Millatog gains +4+3 and is either a blue or white creature until end of turn. You may only use this ability once per turn.
1/2
--FoR

Cleansed Shrine --OG by FoR
Land
T: Add 1 mana to your mana pool.
3T: Destroy target creature that has two or more colors.
--FoR

Cleansed Shrine...
You do hate gold, don't you? Maybe its activation could require at least 2 different colors of mana. That way, you have to play multi to destroy multi.
--Sammy Dead-O

Mole Engine (1) --OG by Sammy Dead-O
Artifact Creature
During your upkeep, return a Mountain you control to its owner's hand or bury Mole Engine.
2/1
--Sammy Dead-O

Mole Engine:
This card rocks!!!!!! I love it!!!
--FoR

(In Reference to Mole Engine; each card is OG BY Cat Emp)
Mole Engine sounds really lame though. And why exactly would we have an artifact creature that is insanely efficient AND is only playable in one color? How about:

Goblin Commando
R
Creature - Goblin; 2/1
At the beginning of your upkeep, return a Mountain you control to its owner's hand or return Goblin Commando to its owner's hand.
No hiding spot, run away.
-Goblin Commando survival rule

Alternately, we could try to make a cycle out of artifact creatures:

Crimson Golem
Artifact Creature - Golem; 3/1
Haste.
At the beginning of your upkeep, return a Mountain you control to its owner's hand or sacrifice Crimson Golem.

Verdant Golem
Artifact Creature - Golem; 3/3
Trample.
At the beginning of your upkeep, return a Forest you control to its owner's hand or sacrifice Verdant Golem.

Alabaster Golem
Artifact Creature - Golem; 2/1
Attacking does not cause Alabaster Golem to tap.
At the beginning of your upkeep, return a Plains you control to its owner's hand or sacrifice Alabaster Golem.

Azure Golem
Artifact Creature - Golem; 2/1
Flying.
At the beginning of your upkeep, return an Island you control to its owner's hand or sacrifice Azure Golem.

Andradite Golem
Arifact Creature - Golem; 2/1
Fear.
At the beginning of your upkeep, return a Swamp you control to its owner's hand or sacrifice Andradite Golem.

Suggestions? Perhaps a colored cycle of these "depletion" creatures?
--Cat.Emp.

I think a cycle of these golems is a uh, bad idea. I thought we were trying to stay away from cycles? I don't know, I'm kind of crazy anyway...
--FoR
Oh, I really liked those golems, don't take them away! Can we at least play test with them before we dump 'em? Only, the powers and toughness should be.

Crimson -2/1
Verdant -3/1
Alabaster -1/4
Azure -2/1
Andradite -2/1
--Sidar Jabari

Golem of Emeralds 2 --OG by FoR
Artifact Creature- Golem
Trample
At the beginning of your upkeep, return a Forest or a non-basic land you control to its owner's hand or sacrifice Golem of Emeralds
4/3
"I tried to pluck a gem of its chest, thinking it was mere statue...within seconds, my company was dead, and I was left with nothing but a broken body."
-Zel, Thief

Volcanic Golem 3 --OG by FoR
Artifact Creature- Golem
Volcanic Golem cannot be blocked except by artifact creatures and black creatures.
At the beginning of your upkeep, return a Swamp or a Mountain you control to its owner's hand or sacrifice Volcanic Golem
3/5
"The mechanical feat charged right through our lines, only stopping to slay the general and his guard."
-[Insert name of Country here] FootSolider

Death Contraption 3 --OG by Landkiller
Artifact
You may play Death Contraption as an instant.
When Death Contraption comes into play, both players sacrifice a land.
1, Sacrifice Death Contraption : Deal 1 damage to each creature.
--Landkiller

Bauble Mine --OG by Sidar Jabari
Land
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
T: Look at a random card from target opponent's hand.
--Sidar Jabari

Snow globe --OG by Sidar Jabari
Land
U,T: Tap target red creature or Mountain.
--Sidar Jabari

Glacial Aviary -- OG by Sidar Jabari
Land
T: Target Penguin gains flying until end of turn.
--Sidar Jabari

Mythical Ruins --OG by Duke
Land
Whenever a permanent you control leaves play, you may sacrifice Mythical Ruins. If you do, draw a card.
Tap: Add 1 to your mana pool.
--Duke

Marsh Extracts --OG by Duke
Land
As Marsh Extracts comes into play, you may add BB to your mana pool.
You can’t play Swamps.
Tap: Add B to your mana pool.
--Duke

Illicit Academy --OG by Duke
Land
As Illicit Academy comes into play, you may draw 3 cards.
Whenever you cast a Blue spell, discard your hand.
Tap: Add U to your mana pool.
--Duke

Crisis Hills --OG by Duke
Land
As Crisis Hills comes into play, you may have Crisis Hills deal 2 damage to target creature or player.
Whenever you cast a Red spell, Crisis Hills deals 1 damage to you.
Tap: Add R to your mana pool.
--Duke

Restraining Nature --OG by Duke
Land
As Restraining Nature comes into play, you may put a creature from your hand into play under your control.
You can’t play Green creatures.
Tap: Add G to your mana pool.
--Duke

Unholy Cathedral --OG by DUke
Land
As Unholy Cathedral comes into play, you may choose to gain 3 life.
You may only cast 1 White spell each turn.
Tap: Add W to your mana pool.
--Duke

(In Reference to Duke’s above land cycle)
Whoa there, those are an excellent idea DUke. However Illicit Academy is broken beyond belief. Remember, blue has bounce spells, making this a psychotic card-drawing engine.
--Cat.Emp

Some more possible lands (each in this cycle is OG by Cat.Emp.)

Black Land
Land
As ~ comes into play, sacrifice a swamp.
~ cannot be the target of spells or effects.
Creatures you contol have "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may choose to have that player choose and discard a card from their hand."
T: Add B to your mana pool. This mana may only be spent to play creature spells.

Blue Land
Land
As ~ comes into play, sacrifice an island.
Creatures you contol have "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card."
T: Add U to your mana pool. This mana may only be spent to play creature spells.

White Land
Land
As ~ comes into play, sacrifice a plains.
Creatures you contol have "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may destroy target enchantment that player controls."
T: Add W to your mana pool. This mana may only be spent to play creature spells.

Green Land
Land
As ~ comes into play, sacrifice a forest.
Creatures you contol have "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may search your library for a basic land card and put that land into play. Then shuffle your library."
T: Add G to your mana pool. This mana may only be spent to play creature spells.

Red Land
Land
As ~ comes into play, sacrifice a mountain.
Creatures you contol have "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may have that player sacrifice a land."
T: Add R to your mana pool. This mana may only be spent to play creature spells.
--Cat.Emp.

...and all your lands, Cateran Emperor are kind of on the edge of being broken. They're good though...
--Duke

For the lands to encourage multicolor, what about something like:

Special Red Land --OG by Sammy Dead-O
When ~ comes into play, return a land you control that can produce white, blue, black, or green mana to its owners' hand.
--Sammy Dead-O

Sammy, I think that your idea maybe a bit too complicated. Maybe it should be something like:

Red Land Example
Land
When ~ comes into play, return a Swamp or a Forest back to owner's hand or sacrifice ~.
Tap: Add B, R or G to your mana pool.

Would that be it?
--Duke

The CIP triggered effect of the land is less complicated with yours. That works. I think they need abilities other than mana production, though, with the stipulation that playing with that ability requires playing multicolor to a degree. As a tricolor land, it's merely an inferior dragon lair.
--Sammy Dead-O

Staff Of Renewal 2X --OG by FoR
Artifact
When Staff Of Renewal comes into play, draw a card.
T: Reshuffle X target cards from your graveyard into your library.
The Ronom Glacier holds many surprises
--FoR

A few things:
Staff of Renewal
You mean from graveyard to library, yes?
--Cat. Emp.

Ironsides 6 --OG by Duster
Artifact Creature - Ship

4: ~this~ gets landwalk for a type of land of your choice until end of turn.
3/3
--Duster

Iron Maiden 1 --OG by Duster
Artifact
As this comes into play, roll a six sided die.
During each player’s upkeep, he or she loses 2 life if he or she has X cards in his or her hand, where X is the number rolled.
--Duster

Perpetual Automation 6 --OG by Duster
Artifact Creature – Golem

0: Untap ~this~. Target tapped non-land permanent you control does not untap during your next untap phase.
3/2
--Duster

Perpetual Automation:
Some re-woring needed:

Perpetual Automation 6
Artifact Creature – Golem
Untap Perpetual Automation: Target tapped non-land permanent you control does not untap during your next untap phase.
4/5
--FoR

The Brewery - U --OG by NeuroDeus
Artifact
T:Gain 3 life. At the end of your turn you lose 2 life.
--NeuroDeus

Unholy Armor - R --OG by NeuroDeus
Artifact Creature
*/*
When Unholy Armor comes into play remove from the game a creature you control. Unholy Armor's power is equal to that creature's power plus three. Unholy Armor's toughness is equal to that creature's toughness plus three. When Unholy Armor is removed from play return that creature into play tapped.
--NeuroDeus

Flight of Stairs - R --OG by NeuroDeus
Land
T:Add one colorless mana to your mana pool.
When Flight of Stairs comes into play pay 3 or Flight of Stairs is sacrificed. During your upkeep choose a land in play with no Lost Counters on it and put one Lost Counter on that land. That land may not untap during its controller untap step if it has a Lost Counter on it. If Flight of Stair has a Lost Counter on it destroy it and remove all Lost Counters.
--NeuroDeus

Flight of Stairs
Way too good. Immobilizes opponents in short order,leaving you free to do as you please for several turns.
--Chaos Turtle

Hidden Cave --OG by Landkiller
Land
1, T : Target creature you control does not deal or recieve combat damage this turn.
T : Add 1 to your mana pool. Hidden Cave returns to it's owners hand.
--Landkiller

Hidden Cave
I'd make the Fog effect cost G, and remove the "return to hand" penalty for getting mana out of it. (compare to Kor Haven).
--Chaos Turtle

Hidden Cave
I like it, but I would drop the 1 to actvate the fog ability.
--FoR

Hidden Cave
Seems fine as is to me.
--Landkiller

Broken Gemstone 0
Artifact
During your upkeep, lose 1 life.
T : Add 1 mana to your mana pool.

Does this look balanced now? Maybe add "comes into play tapped"? I'd rather not lose a card for this thing.
--Landkiller

Broken Gemstone 0 --OG by Landkiller
Artifact
During your upkeep, lose 1 life.
0 : Sacrifice Broken Gemstone.
--Landkiller

Broken Gemstone
Don't. Even. Go. There.
Okay fine, let's go there. You want a 0 mana cost artifact that produces mana? It needs to be absolutely no better than Mox Diamond. So, you need to sacrifice something..."discard a land" has already been done, so how about "sacrifice a land." And keep your upkeep, but remove the ability to sacrifice it. Since it only make colorless mana, this might not be too strong.
--Chaos Turtle

Broken Gemstone
Lose to sacrifice ability to balance it.
--FoR

Silent Dreadnought -Common --OG by FoR
Artifact creature -Ship
When Silent Dreadnought comes into play, draw a card. If any oppenent controls a island, draw another card.
Silent Dreadnought cannot attack or block unless defending player controls an island.
Discard two cards: Target land is an island untill end of turn.
7/7
--FoR

Jopai Juggernaut 6 (Rare) --OG by Duster
Creature - Juggernaut

You may pay 1 less to play ~this~. If you do, ~this~ gets a -1/-1 counter.
AND/OR
You may pay 1 less to play ~this~. If you do, ~this~ loses Trample.

Trample
~this~ must attack each turn if able.

4/3
--Duster

Jopai Juggernaut:
This seems a little overcosted, I would make it originally cost 5 mana.
--FoR

Kickback Scepter (Crappy name, suggestions?) --OG by FoR
Artifact
2,T, remove the top XX cards of your library from the game: Destroy target artifact or enchantment with converted mana cost equal to X.
--FoR

Kickback Scepter - I dig the name actually, and the ability is cool. I'm wary of the idea of a permanent artifact or enchatment killer however, despite the cost. Maybe we could lower the drawback and make it so we have to sac it?
--Duster

Kickback Scepter:
Those were my exact thoughts Duster, thats why I tried to make the ability crazy. How about this:

Kicback Scepter Beta
Artifact
X, remove the top X cards on your library from the game: Destroy target artifact or enchantment with a converted mana cost of X.

Do you really like this name?

--FoR

Kickback Scepter
Is the text mixed up? If it is supposed to say, "2,tap, remove the top XX cards of your library from the game: Destroy target artifact or enchantment with converted mana cost equal to X," then, okay.
--Chaos Turtle

Kickback Scepter:
Yes, it was messed up.
--FoR

Medal of Honor - R --OG by NeuroDeus
Artifact
T, Sacrifice Medal of Honor - Change target's creature's type to Legend permanently.
[Does somebody like this one? Using Legendary Status to one's favor seems good?]
--NeuroDeus

Medal of Honor
This card is so cool! It needs rewording though...and if we raise the cost to 1 or 2, we could make it target any non-basic land permanent instead of just a creature.
--FoR

Medal of Honor
Cost 2, and 2 to use. "...is a Legend in addition to its creatures type(s)."
--Chaos Turtle

Mednal of Honor
It defeintly should cost 2 and 2 to activate, but I suggest making it target and non-land permanent.
--FoR

Emmei Tribe Village - Uncommon --OG by NeuroDeus
Land
During your upkeep pay 1 or sacrifice Emmei Tribe Village and it deals 6 damage to you. During the beginning of your main phase put a 1/1 Villager token into play with first strike and put a Desertor counter on Emmei Tribe Village. If Emmei Tribe Village has six or more counters on it sacrifice Emmei Tribe Village and it deals 3 damage to you.
6,T:Remove a Desertor counter from Emmei Tribe Village.
--NeuroDeus

Emmei Tribe Village - Let me try to reword and revise this one entirely...

Emmei Tribe Village
Land

3,T: Put a 1/1 Villager token into play and a Destertion counter on ~this~.
If ~this~ has 3 or more Desertion counters on it, sacrifice ~this~.

I know I changed it a lot, but I can't think of another way to simplify and balance it...

-Duster

Emmei Tribe Village
Comlpicated. How about upkeep cost equals number of counter on it, and damage if cost isn't paid is equal to number of counters on it. The tokens should not have first strike, and should have a color. Land should be able to produce mana. Try this as an enchantment?
--Chaos Turtle

Grail of Hope - Uncommon --OG by NeuroDeus
If you got 6 or more cards in your hand sacrifice Grail of Hope and discard your hand.
Draw 2 cards. Put 2 cards from your hand onto the bottom of your library.
3:Untap Grail of Hope. Draw a card.
--NeuroDeus

Grail of Hope:
Give the draw ability an activation cost of either 2, or sacrifice a creature.
--FoR

Grail of Hope -> Casting cost 4. I played with the card and at 2nd turn it was too good making it a sure combo seeker... 4 limits it to at least 4th turn.
--NeuroDeus

Grail of Hope
Extremely powerful search-and-draw. Just for tapping and then paying 3, you get to cycle through 2 cards, then draw an extra card later on. This should cost 4 at least, and the draw-search ability should cost at least 3.
The second ability breaks the card, despite the "penalty" for overusing it. Rewording is required to prevent stack tricks from ignoring the penalty altogether.
--Chaos Turtle

Chipped Sapphire -Rare --OG by FoR
Artifact (Legendary suggestion here)
T, discard three cards, sacrifice Chipped Sapphire: Add UUU to your mana pool.
--FoR

Chipped Sapphire
Gulp. Be afraid.
This is better than it looks. At least cost it at 2 then test the hell out of it.
--Chaos Turtle

Brairwood Golem (Better name?) - Uncommon --OG by NeuroDeus
Artifact Creature - Golem
1/1
When Artifact Golem is put in a graveyard from play tap all creatures in play.
--NeuroDeus

Brairwood Golem
Looks good to me, but a name change is order because Brairwood Cup is a card, and we dont want any rescemblance to the magic world. Mud golem? What do you suggest?
--FoR

Horn of Sweetdrink - Uncommon --OG by NeuroDeus
Artifact
T: Add 3 colorless mana to your mana pool.
T: Add 1 mana of the color a land you control can produce.
--NeuroDeus
Horn of Sweetdrinkp
Looks fine to me, but the second ability should be able to add two colored mana.
--FoR

Scrying Pool --OG by TICM
Artifact
Play with the top card of your library revealed.
X2, Tap: Put the top card of your library into your hand. X is the converted mana cost of the card.
--TICM

Scrying Pool - interesting card... FoR ?
--NeuroDeus
Scrying Pool
This card IS interesting...im not so sure about it. It seems balanced...
--FoR

Unstable Valley --OG by NeuroDeus
Land
T:Choose an untapped permanent you control in play other than Unstable Valley. Add two mana of the color of that permanent or if that permanent is colorless add 2 colorless mana to your mana pool. Tap the chosen permanent.

Needs rewording but it works like this

1. Choose untapped permanet you control.
2. Add mana of the color of permanent.
3. Tap that permanet.
--NeuroDeus

Unstable Valley
"T: Choose target non-land, untapped permanent in play. Add one mana of the color of the chosen card to your mana pool. Tap the chosen permanent."
How does that sound? I dont agree with the 2 colorless thing, as that is too much mana.
--FoR

Invisible Ring Alpha 0 --OG by FoR
Artifact
When ~this~ comes into play, remove a creature you control from the game.
3T: ~this~ deals damage equal equal to the removed creature's power to target creature or player.

or

Invisible Ring Beta 0
Artifact
3T: ~this~ deals X damage to target creature or player, where X is equal to the power of the removed creature.

A wording issue here....
--FoR

Rice Fields - Rare / Uncommon --OG by NeuroDeus
Land
T:Add U to your mana pool.
0:Untap Rice Fields. Use this ability only if Rice Fields was tapped during your opponent's turn and only once each turn.
--NeuroDeus

Rice Fields
Im cool with this, but I would want to either make it a legendary land, or attach a "comes into play tapped" thang.
--FoR

Timber Golem -Uncommon/Rare --OG by FoR
Artifact Creature -Golem
4/5
Creatures you control other than Timber Golem may not attack.
--FoR

Timber Golem: Pretty good.
--TICM

Noble Golem --OG by NeuroDeus
Artifact Creature
2/6
1,T: Put a -1/-1 counter on Noble Golem: Target creature gets +2/+1 until end of turn.
3,T: Sacrifice Noble Golem: Creatures you control get +4/+2 until end of turn. Play this ability only if you control at least 3 creatures.
--NeuroDeus
Noble Golem: The second ability should give no more than +2/+2 to all creatures you control, probably less. Otherwise, you're sacrificing a creature and paying 3 for at least 12 extra power. That could easily be abused.
--TICM

Book of the Chosen --OG by NeuroDeus
Artifact
When Book of the Choosen comes into play put a Chosen counter on all lands, artifacts and enchantments.
5,T:Tap all permanents with a Chosen Counter.
[completely new]
--NeuroDeus

Book of the Chosen: Fine, except that enchantments can't be tapped.
--TICM
Book of the Chosen
Change enchantments to creatures and this might found a new decktype.
--FoR

Quicksand Maelstrom -Rare --OG by FoR
Land
When Quicksand Maelstrom comes into play, lose 3 life.
T: Target creature loses either First Strike, Flying, or landwalk until end of turn.

-Does the name make sense? How about a two life loss?
--FoR

Illusionary Maze --OG by Landkiller
Comes into play tapped.
T, Return Illusionary Maze to your hand : Untap target attacking creature. That creature neither deals nor recieves combat damage this turn.
--Landkiller

Illusionary Maze
I like it!
--FoR

Illusionary Maze
LOVE IT - fits very well with the "bounce" theme of the lands I submitted back on the old thread.
--Duster

Warriors of Glass -Uncommon -- OG by FoR
Creature - Golem
3/4
When any other creature comes into play, sacrifice Warriors of Glass
--FoR

Memory Catcher -Rare -- OG by FoR
Artifact
Whenever a non-permanent spell you control goes to the graveyard, you may pay 3 and return that spell to your hand. If you do not, you lose 4 life.
"Its to bad she wont live, but then again, who does?"
-Blade Runner
--FoR

Larva -Common --OG by FoR
0/2
If you control another creature, Larva gets +1+0.
--FoR

Grinding Mill -Rare --OG by FoR
Artifact
When Grinding Mill comes into play, choose a card type (Sorcery, Creature, Instant, Land)
T,X+3: Look at target players library and remove a card of the choosen type with a casting cost X or less from the game. Shuffle the library.

-BIG run on sentence...but where can we throw a period?
--FoR

Arc of Ages -Rare --OG by FoR
Artifact
3, Discard two lands from your hand: Your oppenent shuffles two cards either from their hand or two cards in play they control into his or her library. They shuffle that library afterwards.
--FoR

Welding Tool -Rare --OG by FoR
Artifact
During your upkeep, sacrifice all other artifacts you control unless you pay 6.
T, You are dealt two damage: Search through your libary for an artifact card and put it into play. Shuffle your library afterwards.
--FoR

Reserve Burner -Uncommon/Rare --OG by FoR
Artifact
Skip your draw phase
You now have a second attack phase after your second main phase.
--FoR

Drifitng Tumblweeds -Common --OG by FoR
Land
Drifting Tumbleweeds comes into play tapped.
T: Add W to your mana pool.
W: Regenerate
--FoR

Wayward Isle -Common --OG by FoR
Land
Wayward Isle comes into play tapped.
U: Regenerate
--FoR

Sinking Marsh -Common/Uncommon --OG by FoR
Land
comes into play tapped
T: Add B to your mana pool .
TB, sacrifice Sinking Marsh: Destroy target land that can produce white mana
--FoR

Mold Coverings -Common/Uncommon --OG by FoR
Land
Mold Coverings comes into play tapped
T: Add G to your mana pool.
TG, Sacrifice Mold Coverings: Detroy target land that can produce blue mana.
--FoR

Muddy Battlegrounds --OG by FoR
Land
Muddy Battlegrounds comes into play tapped.
4T: All players skip there next combat phase.
--FoR

Gleaming Bridges -Uncommon --OG by FoR
Creature -Wall
0/3
(Walls cannot attack)
Sacrifice Gleaming Bridges: Draw a card.
--FoR

Celestial Arrow 3 --OG by Landkiller
Artifact
When Celestial Arrow comes into play, name a creature type.
5, T : Destroy target creature of the chosen type.
--Landkiller

Brass Ring --OG by Captain Caveman
Artifact
Choose one:
Tap: add B to your mana pool and lose 1 life.
Tap: add U to your mana pool. Opponent may draw a card.
Tap: add G to your mana pool and opponet puts a 1/1 token creature into play.
Tap: add R to your mana pool and take 1 point of damage.
Tap: add W to your mana pool and target opponent gains 1 life.
"Everything has a price."_ Scholar of the Age's.
--Captain Caveman

Dragon Breeding Ground --OG by Jake74
Land (Rare/Uncommon)
Comes into play with 5 breeding counters.
1, remove counter: add one mana of any color.
--Jake74

Rainbow Orb --TICM
Artifact
X1, Tap: Add X mana of the type used to pay 1 to your mana pool.
--TICM

Rainbow Orb
4 (Yes, this does warrant an increase in cost; maybe even 4)
Artifact
X2: Add X mana of any one color to your mana pool.
--TICM

Final version of Rainbow Orb (since I'm still having trouble editing my posts... Spidey or another admin, can you help me with this?):
Rainbow Orb
Artifact
X2: Add X mana of one color to your mana pool.
--TICM

Wooden Steed --OG by Captain Caveman
Artifact Creature
0/3
When Wooden Steed is put into the graveyard from play,
you may remove it from the game and put X 1/1 soldier
tokens into play. Where X is equal to the amount of
lands you control.
"Surprise!"
--Captain Caveman

Ancient Battlegrounds --OG by Captain Caveman
Legendary Land
Rare
When ~this~ comes into play choose a creature type:
Tap; add 1 to your mana pool.
Tap; all creatures of the chosen type get a +1+1 until
end of turn.

Our Home!, Our People and Our Victory!
--Captain Caveman

Diamond Mine --OG by Captain Caveman
Land
Uncommon
Tap, choose a creature you contol: ~this~ deals
1 damage to that creature then add one mana of
any color to your mana pool.
--Captain Caveman

(these all relate to above three cards)
Wooden Steed
Looks Cool, I like it!

Ancient Battleground
Nice idea, a lord land.

Diamond Mine
Again, maybe 2 damage...
--Jake74

Steel Walls -Rare --OG by FoR
Artifact
You may play Steel Walls as an Instant. If you do, it costs 2 less to play and you must sacrifice it at the end of your turn.
Creatures you control get +2+2
--FoR

Invisible Ring -Rare
Artifact
3T: ~this~ deals damage equal equal to the removed creature's power to target creature or player.
--FoR

Wolfhead --NeuroDeus
Artifact
When Wolfhead comes into play each player draws 2 cards.
When Wolfhead leaves play each player draws 2 cards.
During each player's discard step each player draws a card.
--NeuroDeus

Reparist -Common --OG by FoR
Artifact Creature -Solider
1,T: Regenerate target artifact.
1/1
--FoR

L

Landkiller

Wow, that was an eternal thorn in my side! So don't nobody bitch about it, ya hear;) 4 hours to compile this. Added every comment I could find, although I hurried through the last 3 pages of stuff.

Oh, anyway, why were we doing this?

D

Duster

That's incredible landkiller :)
But I was looking more a single revised card instead of the whole list of comments :)

I guess I should have clarified a little more :)
You your best judgement in balancing the cards, and we'll go from there, that's the point of this.

Sorry dude! But excellent work!
Dustin

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I actually like the way Landkiller did it better than I would if he had just showed the final versions of the cards.
Either he would have made only versions with suggested changes made to them, in which case their makers would complain and ask for their original versions, or he would show the original versions, and everyone else would complain that they were unbalanced.

This method was actually more fair.

I think we should compile all of the lists before changing these cards; that way, people can see the set as a "whole" before suggesting any additional changes.