Stupid question

N

Nightstalkers

how many people here actually still play magic? I know a few got out of magic... but still post...

Does it seem that Magic is dying any? Is it anythign to be worried about? am I just posting here for some deranged reason? My mind is filled with questions...

Howabout some sort of shoutout or something?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I still play. I suppose Magic will die eventually, but I don't have any idea as to when that might be. I am sure that somewhere out there something it to be worried about. You are posting here for deranged reasons. What do you mean by shoutout or something?

M

Mikeymike

Here's the great thing about Magic.

It has reached such a size (in terms of printed cards) that it could stay fresh longer than you. The amount of legitimate deck possibilities is endless, so you could keep trying something new.

I think a big key to the game staying alive for a particular individual is that you always have enjoyable people to actually play with. I know its not always the case, but I'd be willing to bet that if you're playing with the right people you'll keep finding a way to stay with the game.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I play occasionally - my group meets once a month and the last two months I haven't been able to make it.

Because of that, I rarely buy cards - just the occasional booster. I kinda stick to my old decks and see how they fare against their new creations (usually when a set comes up).

I don't think Magic is dying in general - just here it seems like :)

T

train

Just played this past friday - and hope to again this friday...

guess we'll see...

C

Captain Caveman

My local group as died out more or less. I still play against my brother once a week but the group games don't happen very often. Its a money issue. To have some of the better type 2 cards it can get expensive. At one time I tryed to follow along with the net deck ideas but have given them up since Legions.

In my area(local)Magic has died out quite abit. I can go about 45 miles south and find tournament players. I usually try to attend one tournament a year. Sometimes its "State's" other times I go to some "sealed" event. I did go to Origins this year so my tournament playing is done for this year. There were a lot of Magic players at Origins so it may not be slowing down.

MoL seems to have a lot of players too. You can always find a game online. All of my MoL decks are low dollar(very very few rare decks)They are fun and I even win sometimes.(once in awhile:)

C

chris92

mikeymike's right, if you find the right people to play with you'll pretty much keep on playing.

med school is kinda busy that's why i play a lot less often although we still hold a casual tournament every two months, and i still play during weekends.

although some of the shops i normally went to to buy magic, concentrate on other TCG's now, the Yu-Gi-Oh craze is real big here in manila especially with the younger players, but i believe that will eventually die down just like how pokemon did, the new marvel TCG is fast rising in popularity though.

what worries me are the current prices of cards, especially here where the economy just keeps on getting worse, when i started playing magic a dollar wast just equal to 30 pesos now its almost 60 pesos a dollar.

Killer Joe

Are you in for the long haul?

It was about how long you expect to be playing MTG.

ME? No, Magic isn't dying. A new game shop opened up just over the hill from me and there's the GASP group that I belong to and there are at least 3 or four other shops in the Greater Pittsburgh area that have organized tournaments. Heck, I hear team CMU (or what's left of it) still drafts every Tueasday night down on the CMU campus' student union hot dog shop.

:)

C

Chaos Turtle

Well I don't "technically" play Magic currently, but that's mostly a time and accessability issue. Once I solve these pesky problems, I will be playing again. (As in the first CoK sealed in my area this coming Saturday.)

E

Ephraim

I still play Magic. Probably not so much as I used to, but that'll chnage when I can readily set aside time to attend/organize tournaments and such. The Magic community around here has dwindled a little bit lately but I'm sure it wouldn't take a whole lot to rekindle it. Also, I still play a lot online. I suppose if CPA had a chat room, I'd be there a lot, since it's hard to strike up games of strictly casual or casual-format games. Hopefully a CPA channel would be good for that sort of thing.

E

Ephraim

I've noticed it there, but I've never been able to get the link to work. I just assumed it was an abandoned project or something. Every time I try to go there, the java applet fails.

B

boozehound

I have been playing magic for some years (since about 4th ed.) and have never really lost my enthusiasm for the game. I really like re-working old combos with new cards when the new expansions come out and have had a blast with mirrodin and darksteel. My problem is that my playing buddies seem to of lost their interest in the game, so although i still build new decks and combos i never really get to playtest them against other decks (most frustrating). I am hoping to remedy this by posting my tel. number in my local ccg shop in the hope of finding other frustrated magic players seeking new gaming partners. fingers crossed.