Story Circle

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Inyatha, Aug 8, 2000.

1. Inyatha New Member

The text of Story Circle states "....The next time a source of the chosen color would deal damage to you this turn, prevent that damage." I'm confused as to whether you can play this ability as a fast effect in response to someone saying "I Shock you..." or something along those lines, or you have to expect beforehand whether something will assault you or not.
  2. Hetemti The Wide-Awake Nightmare

But if I remember correctly it's a CoP that you choose the color when you use it.

You have to resolve the ability before the damage hits. Therefore you may:

1) Call a psychic friend. If she says you will be bolted this turn, activate the circle. And hope they don't bolt you in responce, which they damn well should.
    2) Activate the circle in responce to thier bolt, like you damn well should.

You see, the effect must be resolved before the damage resolves, so put it on the stack after the damage goes on so your circle will take affect in time.
  3. Cateran Overlord New Member

No, because Story circle says next time it deals damage. Therefore, you get a shield to prevent the damage, regardless of if it gets countered or some such thing like that.
  4. Hetemti The Wide-Awake Nightmare

Hence, as I said, you activate it in responce to the bolt, so that it's in effect when the bolt resolves.
  5. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

In 6th rules, damage prevention now act as "shields" (along with regeneration) so you can put as many of them up beforehand as you want and they will last until the end of turn (choosing sources that already exist). So if your opponent has an Air Elemental out and during his upkeep casts Mana Short on you, in response you can tap and activate Story Circle as many times as able, declaring the Elemental as the source from which damage will be prevented that turn.