Static-Stompy

G

Griffith_se

Well My card choices might not be the best but I think the idea is good.

I think the deck is self explanatory (nothing fancy).

So now, what would be some better card choices?
I don't know, is stompy even possible?
No:
Wild dogs
Pouncing Jag
River Boa
Albino Troll
Rancor

It would be nice to be able to turn the Orb on and off (like an Icy), but I can't think of anything right now.

-Creatures-
4 LLanowar Elves
3 Birds of Paradise
2 Elvish Lyrist
4 Kavu Titan
3 Silt Crawler
4 Blastoderm

-Spell's-
2 Blanchwood Armor
4 Wild Might
4 Seal of Strength
2 Canopy Surge

-Artifact-
4 Static Orb
4 Kill Switch

-Land-
20 Forest

R

rakso

You're essentially turning Static Orb into Dueling Grounds, you know? :)

Well, Familiars would work better than Elves under Static Orb. Don't know if that'll lead to a deck...

G

Griffith_se

Yeah I know, I'm trying to think of something that will turn the orb on and off.
To bad I can't use Icy.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I even edited rakso's Stompy article and I still don't know why BoP's are used in mono-green...

So here's a dumb question (without me going back and looking at it): do you need the BoP's in a mono-green deck? Are they just pretty much there for the mana?

L

Lotus Mox

I would rather play static Orb in a deck which has Attackers which don't tap to attack e.g. Serra Angel.
I think it's detrimental to use Static Orb in green stompy because it slows down your attack and the last thing stompy wants is slowing itself down to give other decks time to achieve control.

R

rakso

Originally posted by Spiderman
I even edited rakso's Stompy article and I still don't know why BoP's are used in mono-green...

So here's a dumb question (without me going back and looking at it): do you need the BoP's in a mono-green deck? Are they just pretty much there for the mana?
If you look at it, I think it was there with a note saying they were useless in mono green but formed the base of decks with splash colors like the 5CG decks in the Appendix?

G

Griffith_se

So here's a dumb question (without me going back and looking at it): do you need the BoP's in a mono-green deck? Are they just pretty much
there for the mana?
Well that, and they fly. I don't know why bird's would be bad in mono green.

I would rather play static Orb in a deck which has Attackers which don't tap to attack e.g. Serra Angel.
I like that I'm gonna try it.

I think it's detrimental to use Static Orb in green stompy because it slows down your attack and the last thing stompy wants is slowing itself down to give other decks time
to achieve control.
I probably shouldn't have posted the deck list until I found the card I need to tap and untap the orb (I'm thinking about Kill switch). the idea is to switch it on at the end of My turn, then switch it off at the end of there turn.

Oh, well I guess I didn't relate My idea well enough.

R

rakso

Well, regarding the Birds and flying, I think I also noted that they at least fly and attack if Rancored in desperation.

Spidey... post the updated copy I e-mailed!

I wonder if the Philippines' Francis Profeta is going to kill me. :)

"Stompy, however, remained very impressive in Extended. In the Philippines, popular player Francis Profeta was identified with the archtype, and his deck became a benchmark for speed decks. A unique metagame made for several differences, however. Legion Land Loss and Pande-burst were the eventual winning decks, and a lack of Trix decks removed the need for main deck Elvish Lyrists (these were ineffective against Pande-burst).

PROFETA GREEN, FRANCIS PROFETA, 2000 PHILIPPINE EXTENDED SEASON
Creatures (29)
4 Wild Dogs
4 Ghazban Ogre
4 Rogue Elephant
4 Pouncing Jaguar
4 Skyshroud Ridgeback
4 Llanowar Elf
3 Spectral Bears
2 River Boa

Pump (11)
2 Giant Growth
2 Seal of Strength
3 Bounty of the Hunt
4 Rancor

Mana (20)
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
4 Land Grant
12 Forest

Sideboard
4 Winter Orb
4 Albino Troll
1 River Boa
3 Crumble
3 Emerald Charm

Actually, when asked about why he chose the creatures listed contrary to the theory presented in this primer, Francis admitted that he just used his spare cards. He also noted another aspect of the metagame: ¡§Hirap kasi makakuha ng baraha kaya nagwork ang deck ko. (People had a hard time finding Extended cards, and that¡¦s why my deck worked.)¡¨ This just showed the strength of the Stompy structure, however. Francis had been in the Top 20 of the Philippine Constructed rankings for a long time, and remained there after playing in the 2000 Extended season with a pile of spare commons. (He was #12 in the country as of the first draft of this primer, and #9 in the composite rankings.) "

L

Lotus Mox

I think the only way to do this in Green is Elder Druid, which is a bit too expensive IMO.

G

Griffith_se

I dont know if You saw My last post, but I think Kill Switch would work.

R

rakso

Card Text: 2, Tap: Tap all other artifacts. They don't untap during their controllers' untap steps as long as Kill Switch remains tapped.

302.1. First, the active player determines which permanents he or she controls will untap. (Normally they all do, but effects may modify this.) Then he or she untaps them all simultaneously.

I think it works because the way I understand it, Winter Orb remains tapped since Kill Switch isn't untapped when Orb is going to have to untap?

I posted this on BD's Rules Forum:
http://www.bdominia.addr.com/discus/messages/6/13178.shtml

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
About BoPs: I did read the article (well, skimmed, because I was trying to reformat it - the first one, the draft) but didn't pay too close attention to the content (I'm not really playing, ya know ;)). So the only reason I could think of for using Birds is that they provide mana for higher cc stuff. Otherwise, yeah, you have to Rancor them; but if Griffy's deck is Standard, you don't have that. So if you don't need the mana, is there any other 1cc fliers? Scryb Sprites? :D

rakso: I DID post the updated version of your article! At noon! Check out the front page! :)

I'm pretty sure Kill Switch works with the Orb, as the way you explained it (basically, you decide to not to untap the other artifacts and only Kill Switch ends up being untapped - unless you have two of them, in which case I think neither of them have to be untapped).

L

Lotus Mox

I haven't seen that Kill switch bit, but Kill Switch doesn't work anyway, because Static Orb does NOT untap during your turn if you tap if with Kill Switch, which means that your opp. is going to be unaffected by the Orb.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I was going off of rakso's use of WINTER orb, not the original mention of STATIC orb.

I agree Kill Switch will NOT work with Static. It's actually hard to make it work with Winter Orb, though. If you use it EOT of opponent to tap Winter Orb so you'll be unaffected by it, it's still going to be tapped when your opponent's turn comes around again, allowing him to untap all lands. So I'm not sure Kill Switch is a viable solution after all, in any case.

G

Griffith_se

Lets see... thinking....

End of Opp. turn: tap Orb with kill Switch.
My untap phase: now I untap my creature's lands enchantments. Untap Kill Switch and orb last.

Is this Wrong? I thought You could untap in any order You want.

G

Griffith_se

I just saw the rule in Rakso's post.

302.1. First, the active player determines which permanents he or she controls will untap. (Normally they all do, but effects may modify this.) Then
he or she untaps them all simultaneously.

So it won't work?

Or will it?

If its simultaneous, and You decide to untap Your creatures, lands, enchantments, and Kill switch, choosing not to untap Static Orb.
Wouldn't the untapping of the Orb be an effect of Kill Switch not part of the untap step.

R

rakso

Again:

If you tap Static Orb with Kill Switch in the opponent's turn...

Kill Switch will untap normally during the untap phase.

However, Kill Switch is still tapped when Static Orb is supposed to untap, so Orb can't untap.

Spidey... sorry. Your NOON is my MIDNIGHT!

G

Griffith_se

Ok, I finally get it :confused: It stays tapped til My next Untap phase.
Forgive Me I'm a little slow.

R

rakso

Good news, Grif.

Someone found a loophole: Use Voltaic Key to untap Static Orb.

Of course, it's not Type II legal, and you could just use Relic Barrier in Type I, but it's a solution. :)