Sports League Season 5, Week 9: Rokapoke vs Mooseman

R

rokapoke

Since your epic battle with Turgy22 has finally come to an end, I feel I can make this thread now.

Tails!

R

rokapoke

Draw 7, keep.

Mountain.
Done.

Rokapoke: 20
Hand: 6
Library: 33
Battlefield:

(U) Mountain x1

Graveyard:
Exile:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mooseman: 20
Hand: ??
Library: ??
Battlefield:

Graveyard:
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, he asked the question of where the damage is being dealt so I assumed he didn't have any responses During Blockers and was going to the Deal Damage step. But maybe he should explicitly say so...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Draw 7, keep.

Forest
Done.

Library: 33
Battlefield:

(U) Mountain x1

Graveyard:
Exile:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hand: 7
Library: 32
Battlefield:

(U) Forest

Graveyard:
Exile:

R

rokapoke

Well, he asked the question of where the damage is being dealt so I assumed he didn't have any responses During Blockers and was going to the Deal Damage step. But maybe he should explicitly say so...
You of ALL PEOPLE know that it's not reasonable to assume that there's no response to phase X of combat...

R

rokapoke

Untap, upkeep, draw.
Forest.
Done.

Battlefield:

(U) Mountain x1
(U) Forest x1

Graveyard:
Exile:
Battlefield:

(U) Forest

Graveyard:
Exile:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You of ALL PEOPLE know that it's not reasonable to assume that there's no response to phase X of combat...
Huh? What do you mean?

I think by asking how damage is being dealt, it's reasonable to assume that he had nothing During Blockers and is on the Deal Damage step. Else why would he be asking the question? What do YOU think is happening during the game when someone asks you that question?

R

rokapoke

Huh? What do you mean?
It just seems that half the time posted combat results get reversed in your game because you were hiding a response from later in combat. Like you'll declare no blockers while holding a fog effect, so your opponent deals the damage and moves on. Maybe I'm misremembering, though. I dunno.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, I see. In those cases (which probably actually gives it away, now that you think about it), since I am the defender, the attacker has active priority so he has first opportunity to cast something or wants to move on to the Combat Damage step. Because I am just saying "No Blockers" and not just "Take it", I am (trying to) signal that I might possibly have something and not to skip over to Combat Damage step.

Similarly, if I am the attacker, after Declaring Attackers, I usually post either "Responses (During Attackers)/Blocks/Take it" meaning I am content with having the combat play out as is and the defender can respond however he chooses during any of those steps, which of course allows me to respond as well if I choose.

I might also leave off the "Take it", meaning I (probably) have something During Blockers and I have the first priority, but I need to see the blocking scheme first, but not to automatically go to the Combat Damage step.

Back to your statement, in any case, I imagine this is how it goes in a game in real life; I would Declare Blockers (or none) and the opponent would either have a response or if none, ask "Responses?" to make sure I don't have any before moving to Combat Damage. And if he does move to Combat Damage, I would say "wait, hold up, I have something During Blockers". Which we do here on the forums.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Untap, upkeep, draw.
Plains
Done.

Battlefield:

(U) Mountain x1
(U) Forest x1

Graveyard:
Exile:
Library: 31
Battlefield:

(U) Plains
(U) Forest

Graveyard:
Exile:

R

rokapoke

Untap, upkeep, draw.
Mountain.
Prodigal Pyromancer.
Done.

Hand: 5
Battlefield:

(TT) Mountain x2
(T) Forest x1

(S) Prodigal Pyromancer (1/1; Human Wizard; T: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.)

Graveyard:
Exile:
Battlefield:

(U) Plains
(U) Forest

Graveyard:
Exile:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Let pinging begin
Untap, upkeep, draw.
Plajns
Caltrops
Done.

Battlefield:

(TT) Mountain x2
(T) Forest x1

(S) Prodigal Pyromancer (1/1; Human Wizard; T: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.)

Graveyard:
Exile:
Library: 30
Battlefield:

(TT) Plains
(T) Forest

Caltrops (Whenever a creature attacks, Caltrops deals 1 damage to it.)

Graveyard:
Exile:

R

rokapoke

Yes, the pinging will begin very, very soon.

Untap, upkeep, draw.
Forest.
Locust Swarm.
Done.

Also, just to clarify, if I attack next turn with the Swarm I would have to regenerate it, thereby removing it from combat prior to damage, right? Not that I'm planning to just do stupid things, but I want to make sure that I still have some understanding of the rules.

Furthermore, thematically, Caltrops should only work on non-fliers. Not that I really expect logic to be applied in all aspects of a fantasy duel-to-the-death card game, but they could get some of the obvious stuff right, I would think.

Hand: 4
Battlefield:

(TT) Mountain x2
(TT) Forest x1

(U) Prodigal Pyromancer (1/1; Human Wizard; T: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.)
(S) Locust Swarm (1/1; Insect; Flying G: Regenerate ~. G: Untap ~. Activate this ability only once each turn.)

Graveyard:
Exile:
Battlefield:

(TT) Plains
(T) Forest

Graveyard:
Exile:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Yep and yep theme is meaningless......
UUD
Forest
Gravel Slinger
Done

Hand: 4
Battlefield:

(TT) Mountain x2
(TT) Forest x1

(U) Prodigal Pyromancer (1/1; Human Wizard; T: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.)
(S) Locust Swarm (1/1; Insect; Flying G: Regenerate ~. G: Untap ~. Activate this ability only once each turn.)

Graveyard:
Exile:
Library: 29
Battlefield:

(TT) Plains
(UT) Forest

(S) Gravel Slinger (1/3, Tap: Gravel Slinger deals 1 damage to target attacking or blocking creature. Morph 1W)

Graveyard:
Exile:

R

rokapoke

EOT, Tim you for 1.

UUD
Forest.
Spined Wurm.
Done.

Hand: 3
Battlefield:

(TT) Mountain x2
(TTT) Forest x3

(U) Locust Swarm (1/1; Insect; Flying G: Regenerate ~. G: Untap ~. Activate this ability only once each turn.)
(S) Spined Wurm (5/4; Wurm)

Graveyard:
Exile:
Mooseman: 19
Battlefield:

(TT) Plains
(UT) Forest

(S) Gravel Slinger (1/3, Tap: Gravel Slinger deals 1 damage to target attacking or blocking creature. Morph 1W)

Graveyard:
Exile:

R

rokapoke

Must be some kind of magical caltrops... hey, is magic part of this game?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
UUD
Forest
Borderland Ranger
Get a plains
Done

Hand: 3
Battlefield:

(TT) Mountain x2
(TTT) Forest x3

(U) Locust Swarm (1/1; Insect; Flying G: Regenerate ~. G: Untap ~. Activate this ability only once each turn.)
(S) Spined Wurm (5/4; Wurm)

Graveyard:
Exile:
Mooseman: 19
Library: 27
Battlefield:

(TT) Plains x2
(UUT) Forest x3

(S) Borderland Ranger (2/2, When Borderland Ranger enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a basic land card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.)

Graveyard:
Exile: