Spiritmonger

L

Landkiller

Will Spiritmonger replace Morphling in Type 1/Extended decks? Not the mono-blue ones, but like Oath or other multi-colored decks using Morphling.

What do you think?

G

Gizmo

Spritmonger
It`s bad (or at least not very good).
Deal with it.

Also, on a related note:
lol@Oath with Morphling.
Typical feckin bad tech Americans, they take a European deck and completely miss the best tech in the whole deck in order to play a FAR WORSE card like a bunch of lemmings plunging over a cliff.

'Morphling's SOOOOOOOOO good'
- some Americans, yesterday

'LMAO'
- everybody else

Hippos is where it`s at baby. Here`s the decision, I`ll make it really easy so you`ll be able to work it out...

Oath + Morphling = not being able to use the Oath (unless your opponent is actually a muppet and plays 2 creatures or something, in which case you`d want the Hellion anyway and if you flop). Bad synergy.

Oath + Hippo = being able to return the Hippo to your hand, or give them 1/1 tokens depending on your mood. Either way you get to activate the Oath again. Good synergy.

Hippo is tech. Morphling is un-tech.

S

Sammy Dead-O

Hippo = un-tech.
Bunny = tech.

Why play a little 5/5 when you can get a 6/6 that doesn't die to Perish?

Although I'll admit, Phelddagrif is (narrowly) more fun to say than Vizzerdrix.

M

Mundungu

Giz : I completely agree with you, the Hippo is an excellent tech call for Oath.

I do not know what deck you are refering too, but I build my own oath deck more than two weeks ago, and it is very strong.

I posted it here: http://www.magic-singles.com/cpa/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6288

hyppo + oath + collective restraint is some good.

As you mentionned, the hyppo makes sure you can oath EVERY TURN.

with two oath out you can for example cycle the feeder once a turn... not too shaby.

The only advantage of morphling is the intargetability, but the counterspells should be enough to protect the hyppo.

In my final version, I run 1 hyppo and 1 morphling.

here is my current decklist should you be too lazy to go check the thread:

Domain'Oath
3 Power Sink
3 mana Leak
4 Force of Will
3 Brainstorm
3 Counterspell
2 Gaea's Blessing
1 Spike Feeder
1 Questing Pheldagriff
1 Morphling
1 Spike Weaver
3 Fact or Fiction
4 Collective Restraint
4 Oath of Druids
2 Powder Keg
2 Time Warp
3 Impulse
// land
4 Land Grant
1 Taiga
4 Island
1 Bayou
1 Savannah
1 Tundra
1 Underground Sea
1 Volcanic Island
2 Forest
4 Tropical Island

I lost only one game so far to a turbo land land deck with but only because he runned a maindeck obliterate.

Giz: can you critic that deck or at least point to the deck you mentionned ?
I would be very interested in seeing how far off I am of your build.

G

Gizmo

I think my creatures would be
1 Spike Feeder
1 Pheldagriff (non-questing)
1 Crater Hellion

But I`m not even slightly up to date on current Extended tech, so I might be way off.
No idea why 3 Counterspells are in, surely the deck runs enough U mana to play actual countermagic.

I`d use 3 Blessings.

Not sure about Collective Restraint, rather have more Enlightened Tutors to find my Oaths. Maybe 2 Restraints max, as most oft he time your Oath is enough to finish all their creatures off.

M

Mars

This is what I love most about The CPA Alliance. Landkiller asks a serious question about Spiritmonger, Gizmo trashes it, and the next thing you know we're talking about some Phelddagrif/Oath deck. It's kinda flaky and stream-of-conciousness, like my brain. Keep going guys, and sooner or later we'll work Carnophage and Sarcomancy in here somehow.

C

Cateran Emperor

No, I don't think Carnophage really works too well in an Oath deck. Perhaps Sarcomancy, so that you can... no wait, that doesn't work. A-ah! You can trigger your Oath on your opponent! That way... Ah the heck with it.

Gizmo - once again, way to go with the trashing Americans for no reason stuff. That's why I'm so fond of you ;)

L

lilpinhead

really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really.....hate that creature.....stupid make your own creature contest....

L

Landkiller

What I gotta say is...It is not the worst creature they could have picked from the contest.

And also, it's not really that good. Blastoderm is superior. I like the way you have to build your deck ways to handle Spiritmonger. I like it because you can! Some decks never could handle Blastoderm well, but many more ways of handling the Monger exist. See "99 Ways to kill Spiritmonger".

Anyway, I thought it was a good addition for my 5 color deck, but usually I only have 1 black mana, so it's been not all that it should be.

Generally, it's not gonna convince me to go G/B, but if I do, it will be there.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Okay, I think Spiritmonger is good, but not as good as morphling, even though Morphling can't kill Spiritmonger. I believe that the Oath decks should keep their Morhplings in it because of it's versitility and flexibilty(heh-heh, they mean basically the same thing).

Ransac, cpa trash man

I

Istanbul

Spiritmonger.

In Type 2, he's hella strong.
In Type 1, he doesn't even make a dent in the creature pool.

So...no.

T

Turtlewax Joe

How about Whooperwill(the dark) it would HELP kill the Monger all you have to do is put it to the graveyard.

I

Istanbul

BTW, I want to take this opportunity to say that saying that Spiritmonger is 'bad' is kinda...well...insane.
It might not fit into any decks that have been established as Pro Tour quality, but a 6/6 for 5 with three special abilities is not 'bad' by any stretch.

G

Gizmo

Did anybody say he was bad?
I just said he wasn`t very good.
He isn`t.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Its the same thing, different wording.

I agree with Istanbul.

G

Gizmo

No its completely different.

Bad is like 2 stars, very good is like 4 stars. Not very good is like 3 stars.

Spiritmonger isn`t a bad card, nobody said that it was a bad card. We just said it wasn`t going to change tournaments, and it wont. A lot of people were saying silly things about how good and undercoted it was - it isn`t very good at all, it`s just a reasonable cost for a reasonable creature.

E

Ephrils

Yeah, any deck in type 2 packing the right spells can off him with little trouble or neutralize him. Red can remove him from the game. If I had one, I'd use him as a giant target, so other spells will go to him, instead of other things I actually want to keep in play.

M

Mikeymike

He's obscene with Pernicious Deed. Clear the board, regen the Monger, attack on the next turn. Pretty Basic, but it works like a charm.

The only way I see him making his way into extended is if a new B/G archetype appears with Deeds and Rancors. I don't know how successful it can be, but the synergy of the 3 cards is solid enough to make a consistent deck.

I don't think he'd work in Oath anyway. They key is to pull out a kill card with some form of evasion; being difficult to deal with is an added bonus, like Morphling and the Q. Phelddgrif. Man, I love the fact the Death Hippo is kicking arse in extended. Maybe he'll get more respect in type 2. But I'm starting another tangent here...

You want some really sneaky Monger tech? Try an aggro deck and put lure on the Monger. Not only does it clear the way for your other attackers, but he should definitely kill whatever blocks him, making him bigger and maybe wiping out your opponent's army. Not my idea but I wish it was.

Almost forgot, for my USA trash-talk revenge to Gizmo.
England sucks!...well not really. Actually, I quite enjoyed the country and the people on my 1 trip there. Okay, well, your petrol prices are very high! hah!

But I think your comment of about bandwagon players has more to do with the majority of all the other wannabe competitive Magic players in the world than just Americans. But, no I wouldn't mind seeing a few of those people throw themselves off a cliff.

And what does 'LMAO' mean? I'm not one for chat rooms.