Spiders vs. Insects -The final Battle

K

Killerbob

I´m making these 2 VERY CASUAL decks which are supposed to play against each other. They are both monogreen, and I prefer to use cheap (common/uncommon/craprares)and simple cards.

The insect part wasnt that difficult. It turned into an aggressive build with cards like killer bees, yavimaya ants, saber ants, some random insects, and superior numbers, unyaro bee sting, giant growth and the hive. They are supposed to storm the spiders before they set up their defenses.

The spider part is harder. I choose hidden spider, canopy spider, wooly spider and root spider as the base, and added some random spiders. Regeneration, venom and earthlore fits fine, and magnetic web is a nice theme-like trick. Sandstorm is works fine against the insects, but is not that spider-like.

I still need about 12 spells. What do spiders do? Is their any green spell, which make one creature block several creatures? Or an artifact? Any suggestions? Spidey? :)
Cards like web and others doesnt work, since the majority of my creatures block flyers anyway.

Ideas for the insect part is welcome too!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure about a card letting a creature block more than one for green (although there could be one out there), but there's Lure for attacking... There's also that multicolor Spider from Ice Age (Trap Door spider?)

N

Notepad

Dude, what about Onslaught's SIlklash Spider? That is the madd leet one! And there is one from Planeshift that is WG but has first strike. Then there is I think Plated Spider from Masques era that is a 4/4 body. There is also one from Prophecy that can sacrifice land to deal damage to all fliers. There are a lot of good spiders out there...you just have to worry about out-racing those evil insects.

Just remember, Spiders don't do too much front line fighting--they use dirty tricks to get the job done. So you may want to think up a lot of spider-like removal and trap cards.

Then again, you do have to find a way to run the revised card Web in your deck. If you don't, you're a scrub. ;)

K

Killerbob

Thanks for your suggestions. I have considered all these spiders. If I had a Silklash Spider I think I would play it. But I prefer to stick to monogreen. I play 1 plated and 1 spitting ("random spiders")
I absolutely agree about the "dirty-tricks thing". I think the tricks will be pit trap (removes the all mighty saber ants) and bullwhip.
Basically they just sit and wait...until they have set up all their tricks and makes the final attack.
Ideas for more dirty tricks tricks are welcome!

1 soulnet added because its a net, and because getting life for eating small insects makes sense.

I am also considering Lure, but I think magnetic web does something similar.
And Lure only makes sense when you attack -usually the spiders let the insects attack.

T

train

silklash is monogreen...

as for ancient from planeshift - it was multi...

some Spiders "jump"...

and they do crawl - so crawlspace is an idea...

they also are very territorial and sometimes duel - so arena would be cool...

another thing you could look at would be something like choking vines, web, and spider climb, just to boost defense...

K

Killerbob

crawlspace is a possibility. I might use web too. Last night I came up with these builds. They seem to play well against each other. There ARE actually some tricks to do, and they seem fairly equal

The Spiders

22 forest

2 hidden spider
4 canopy spider
4 rib cage spider
4 wooly spider
4 root spider
2 plated spider
1 spitting spider (only have 1 - have no silklash)

4 regeneration
2 venom

1 soul net
2 magnetic web
3 pit trap
2 barbed foliage
1 arcums whistle (cant find a bull whip)
2 wing snare

The Insects

20 forest (Mirage pictures -I guess there must be a lot of insects around there)
4 wild growth

2 acridian
4 marker beetles (not very aggressive, but helps getting around barbed foliage)
4 killer bees
2 goliath beetle
1 caustic wasp
4 saber ants
3 yavimaya ants
1 giant caterpillar
1 venomous dragonfly (of couse spiders are immune to most poisonous insects, but there must be insects even spiders dont want to eat)
1 the hive

4 giant growth
2 vitality charm

4 unyaro bee sting
3 superior numbers

barbed foliage is a bomb. But it damages saberants, and therefore creates insect tokens. Of course these cant attack...but then there are superior numbers. It might be a little fun.

Next project (someday...) : CATS VS. DOGS!

T

train

I'm surprised I didn't remember this earlier - Broodhatches!!!...

and Coat of Arms!!!...

K

Killerbob

broodhatches fits the theme, but i think they will be close to useless in this matchup. Many of the spiders deal no more than 1 damage. Enough to kill the broodhatch, but not enough to make the deal worth it for the insect player. I might try it anyhow. Theres always giant growth for back up.

Coat of Arms? Overkill! Not fair!
And far to expensive for this non-sleeve-I-want-to-eat-chips-and-drink-beer-while-playing-it-deck.;)

T

train

Well... I was thinking of boosting the toughness of the broods, but giant growth works...

how's bout - lure on the broodhatch, and the regeneration!...

13NoVa

Spider climb!
CC: G
Enchant Creature
You may play spider climb any time you could play an instant. if you do, sacrifice it at end of turn.
enchanted creature gets +0+3 and may block as though it had flying.
visions, common

I don't know how good it would do, since the "block as though" is on most, if not all, spiders...

but think about it.
+0+3 for G, aint too shabby.
you can play it instantly, suprising your opponent (suprise being a spider effect)
and it has "spider" in it's name!

another one

Armor of thorns
CC: 1G
enchant creature
Armor of thorns can only enchant a nonblack creature.
you may play armor of thonrs any time you may plan an instant. if armor of thorns was played any time a sorcery couldn't have been played, sacrafice it at the end of turn.
enchanted creature gets +2+2

1G for +2+2
you can play it instantly, suprising your opponent (suprise being a spider effect, yet again)
ARMOR is one thing spiders have!

MANA WEB!!!

N

Notepad

Originally posted by Killerbob
Next project (someday...) : CATS VS. DOGS!
Awesome idea! However, the dogs are at a serious disadvantage, as all hound/dog/wold cards have tended to be on the mediocre side.

And cats tend to be on the good weenie side, with a few cool fatties thrown in (panther warriors, jareth).

I have my own cat them deck, called "High Times Cats" which is really more of a Mirrodin mono-white equipment deck. :D

Dogs...well, they suck...Only wild mongrel is good.

T

train

the dogs need a little help...

Throw a glory in the graveyard...;)

N

Notepad

How can glory possibly be put into a deck whose theme is a life form that chooses to spend over half its time buried face-deep in its own crotch? :eek:

Even then...what can protection doggies do versus Jareth his personal goon squad of flying cats?

13NoVa

screw cats and dogs...

we need a deck with a Saying....

so when someone plays you they can say "lions and tigers and bears.... oh my"

lions tigers and bears!

think abute it

K

Killerbob

Hmmm...dont flame the dogs...actually I have 2 dog decks, but no cat decks (yet). They work ok.

The bloodhound Gang

20 mountains
2 ancient tomb

4 jackal pup
4 mad dog
4 bloodhound
4 lava hounds

2 power surge

4 lightning bolt
4 chain lightning
4 incinerate
4 flame rift
4 aftershock

Very simple: deal a lot of damage to yourself, and attack with blood hound.
It´s not that fun to burn anyone, but when it goes turn 2 ancient tomb bloodhound, turn 3 mountain play lava hounds and attack for 11 I enjoy it :D

Deck 2 (actually this was called "Doggy Style", but I think I´m getting to old for that kind og humor -I must find a different name)

8 forest
5 swamp
4 bayou
4 llanowar wastes
1 phyrexian tower

4 wild dogs
4 wild mongrel
4 dauthi jackal
4 vampire hounds
1 hollow dogs

4 rancor
3 oath of ghouls
2 phyrexian furnace
4 mulch
2 natures ressurgence
2 living death
1 mirris guile (the cat is running away!)
1 casting of bones (gotta have that one)
2 naturalize

Get some creatures on graveyard with mulch, mongrel and vampire hounds (or cycle wild dogs). Get them back with oath or living death, or draw cards with natures ressurgence.

Oath and living death dont cooperate well, and this never worked that well (but ok...). In some matches Spectral lynx appeared to be a very annoying CAT to play against!
In another metagame I would probably have used wall of bones too.
Well, I guess any "Bone" card would do...

N

NorrYtt

I've piled letters in Rosewater's inbox demanding the Spider block. Not Squirrels or even Insects...Spiders! Spiders aren't Insects. They are arachnids. There's a big difference.

The new one in Darksteel can be played as an instant. That's my favorite green mechanic: instant creatures. It's removal, it wrecks control.

Spider Overlord 2GGG
Creature - Spider
All spiders can block as though they had flying.
Sacrifice an Insect: Put a +1/+1 counter on target spider.
Tap 5 untapped Spiders you control: remove target creature with flying from the game and put five 1/1 green Spider token into play.
3/6

Spiders do have real problems getting the damage in, but the best card to kill with is Kyren Negotiations (not splashable, I know, but not necessary on turn 4 either).

K

Killerbob

Spiders doesnt negotiate!

How about this one:

Spider Matron GB4

Can block creatures with flying
Can block up to 3 creatures.

sacrifice a spider not named spider matron:
put a number of 0/1 arachnid tokens into play equal to the sacrifices spiders toughnes. Put a +0/+1 counter on each of these at the beginning of any upkeep. Put a +1/+0 counter on each of these at the beginning of your upkeep.

5/7

The fat lady sings!

I dont think shes overpowered , but shes a timebomb (like women in general...)
Maybe she should have venom too :)

N

NorrYtt

They won't print that. They don't do +0/+1 or +1/+0 counters because they are a logistical nightmare for players, especially in tourneys.

Venom is a really cool idea. It's in theme and likes high toughness creatures.

Toxic Spider 3G
Creature - Spider
This creature can block as though it had flying.
Whenever a creature is damaged by a spider, destroy it.
1/4

Now you just need some reusable effect to beatdown with...

Spider Revitalizer 2GG
Creature - Spider
1G: Regenerate target Spider.
1/3

Now they lose guys attacking or blocking. Maybe you can work in the web ability too...

Tangleweaver 1GG
Creature - Spider
Tap: Target creature with flying doesn't untap during its controller next untap step.
1/3

T

train

There are logistical nightmares in Magic...

(Pre-ruling Humility Opalescence comes to mind...)