Soul Calibur II

• Thread starter Azreal the Soulmaster
  • Start date
A

Azreal the Soulmaster

Ive never played the original Soul Calibur, but when I saw the previews for this game, I knew I had to get it. And the fact that the gamecube version sports my man Link is just icing on the cake.

Since fighting/Vs. games are my favorite genre of video games, I've obviously played my fair share, this game is easily the most in depth of its type.

Characters:
alright first off lets talk about the characters. you have a wide variety to choose from, but not so many that you never really get to experience all of them. The characters all look great, and come with 2 costumes right off the bat(you can purchase a third later) You can very easily find the character you like the best. You like big fat beatsticks? fine here's Nightmare, or how about Astaroth. Let say speed and agility are more your cup of tea, start whooping ass with Talim or Cassandra.

Stages/Backgrounds:
This may seem kind of trivial, since this genre of games evolved from boxing games where you only setting is a ring, but the setting your fighting in is quite important. They allow for a better feel in the game, as well as some cool options on your part. The settings look great they're just as well sculpted as the characters. the variety of stages is interesting, allowing you to fight up close and personal with a very small area, to a long range brawl with a big expanse. Ring out is always a nice touch(it always seems fake that your character just stops at the edge) but if you don't like that your character can be knocked out of the ring and into the water/lava/ mid-air/ect. than you can pick a stage with wall.

Playability:
The end all be all of games. The game can look great all it wants, but if it doesn't play well...who cares. As I said above Soul Calibur is the most in depth fighting game I've ever seen. It's essentially weapons based, once you go into the weapon master mode you go around and fight in different scenarios in an RPGish type setting. You earn gold and unlock special features, characters, and weapons. You can go in straight up arcade mode, special arcade which allows you to use whatever weapons you've earned in weapon master. but the jewel in the crown of this game comes from playing it in Vs. mode. the variety of ways you and some friends and smash each others faces is stunning.

I'd rate this game a 5 out of 5

current favorite character: Cassandra, 2nd Costume, equipped with her dark blade.

N

Nightstalkers

I liked the first SC game, but really didn't get too much into it. Now with SC2 out, I have found another of those few fighting games that appeal to me.

You think Nightmare is just a big slow beatstick? I take on faster characters all the time and most humans can't even keep up with my fast combo's and tricks.

I've only played a few games of SC2, only using Nightmare, and I'd really like to get a chance to try out the new characters like Spawn and Link.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

Nightmare is definetly the faster of the two, but hes no where near the speed of the rest especially Talim, Maxi, and Link.

Those Completed Soul Edge weapons are nice, expensive but definetly worth it.:D