Some Rules I need polishing up upon...

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by NeuroDeus, Aug 17, 2000.

1. NeuroDeus Doctor Wundindlinyg

Since I live in Malta where the players consider themselves good enough only if the have old cards in there deck and Type 1,Type 2 etc. do not exist. Some rules, 5th rules tend to be kept on strongly by players. So I need to get answers to these questions.

1. Sacrificing a creature, can that creature be regenerated?

2. Regeneration when it can be legally done? I got lots of times when a player puts his creature in the graveyard and insists that it can be regenerated in the turn any time.

3. If a creature/artifact is tapped, can an activated ability of that creature/artifact that does not require tapping of that permanent be used?

Help me please...
  2. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

1. Nopes. Sacked creature go bye-bye.

2. Regeneration can be activated at any time when the creature is in play. So it can't be done _after_ the creature dies.

3. Yes.
  3. Lythand Veteran CPA Member

In more depth to your second question.
    If a creature has regeneration on it. You can put regenereation "shields on it" till the end of turn. Meaning you can pay for the ability ahead of time. So if it dies, it automatically comes to life. So for example I decide to put 3 regeneration shields on my River Boa and attack. My opponant decides to shock it not once but 2 times, it regnereates both times because I already payed for it. And if he does it again, it still would survive. Just remeber, when ut regenerates, it is tapped.
  4. Neo_Keo -=[I]=- []2ice |Voodles

In addition to your first question after Zadok001 answered when a card goes to graveyard it loses all abilities unless stated that its ability activates when in the Graveyard (i.e. Shivan Phoenix, and Hammer of Bogarden )
    Also when sacrificing something it has to actual enter the graveyard first to be considered sac.

The members here aren't here to show there better players or know all the rules but to help each and everyone of us know more about the rules and to become better players.
  5. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Can you expand on this?
  6. NeuroDeus Doctor Wundindlinyg

Thanks guys...
  7. Lythand Veteran CPA Member

When sacing..Its immediate..goes right into effect..cannot be countered...even if you remove the sorce of the sac. It still resolves
  8. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Actually, if you sacrifice a Serra Avatar, it never hits the graveyard. It gets shuffled into its owner's library instead, but it was certainly sacrificed.
  9. Lythand Veteran CPA Member

Chaos, thats not true. This is the exact wording of Serra avatar from MTGnews card database.

Serra Avatar
    4WWW, Summon Avatar */*, Urza’s Saga Rare
    Serra Avatar has power and toughness each equal to your life total.
    When Serra Avatar is put into a graveyard, shuffle Serra Avatar into owner’s library.
    Illus. Dermot Power

So it has to go to the Graveyard first
  10. Y The Alien Deity

Incorrect Lyth. Always get text from Crystalkeep.

Serra Avatar
    Text(US+errata): */*. ~this~'s power and toughness are each equal to your life total. ; If ~this~ would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, shuffle ~this~ into its owner's library instead. [Oracle 99/05/01]
    It's a replacement effect, so it never hits the graveyard.
  11. Adso_dMelk Abbot of Wooded Mountains

Serra Avatar: (Summon Avatar Urza's Saga)
    Text: "Serra Avatar has power and toughness each equal to your life total. When Serra Avatar is put into a graveyard, shuffle Serra Avatar into its owner's library."

I think it's goes to a graveyard first.
  12. BigBlue Magic Jones

Y the Alien is right on.

When you want the truly official wording of a card go to the oracle at wizards,

http://www.wizards.com/DCI/Oracle.asp

or for wording and rulings on a card go to

http://www.crystalkeep.com/magic/rules/summaries.html

as a replacement effect, it also does not trigger a soul net etc. In fact if you use a grindstone on someone and it is the only card in the library the game is thrown into an infinite loop resulting in a draw.
  13. Lythand Veteran CPA Member

I beleive Y is right. I just checked it out myself and sure enough. He is right. Thanks I appreciate the erratta update.

Chaos. I stand corrected. Sorry :)

And thanks BigBlue for the web address.

Adso..check it for yourself :)
  14. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

No prob, Lythand.
    I keep personal copies of the current Oracle and D'Angelo's Rulings Summaries on my computer.
    It helps keep from making embarassing boo-boos, which I've done many times. ;)
  15. NeuroDeus Doctor Wundindlinyg

Thanks everybody...