Some Questions

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by BuiltByKevlar, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

What are they?
  2. Lythand Veteran CPA Member

3. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Now I'll do myself!

Isn't this fun?

(- Steve -)
  4. Lythand Veteran CPA Member

Yea its real fun making fun of people.
  5. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Oh get off your damn high horse. It's all in good fun here. Besides, you were the one who started that anyway.

(- Steve -)
  6. Lythand Veteran CPA Member

Im sorry, but I made a comment, you didnt understand. You could of just asked to clarify the statement.

I am far from being on a high horse. Vanity is not one of my qualities.
  7. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

But you didn't just make a comment, you purposefully misquoted Limited. And I'd like to take this moment to mention that if you had actually read Limited's post, you would have understood that two contrasting situations were being discussed.

See how much fun this is?

(- Steve -)
  8. Lythand Veteran CPA Member

AS I had stated. You're having fun at the extent making fun of others. I will no longer make comments since this has gone off topic and it is not something I wish to discuss
  9. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

The way I see it here, Lythand may have purposely misquoted inadvertently with the intent of trying to understand the answer to his question. Jigglypuff is just acting goofy and drew it out two posts farther than it should have been. Thus, thread closed.
  10. orgg Administrator

Now, I'm re-opening this thread with ONE question, and only Lythand can answer.

Do you understand why Ripple works only when "played" and not when something simply is "put into play?"
  11. Lythand Veteran CPA Member

I understand because of the wording for ripple specifically states you don't have to pay mana cost.

I think though I am confused on "put into play" and "Played"
  12. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Put into play doesn't use the stack... the ability/spell that is doing the putting is putting itself on the stack, not what it is putting out while putting itself in a sad, but put out disposition i.e. the graveyard and oblivion.

Played is basically something that uses the stack.... I believe...
  13. Limited Yes, but we won't care

Not really.
    Some effects (like epic) let you put a copy of a spell on the stack, while others give you a copy which you can play.

So, it is only 'played' when a player went through the necessary steps when he had priority or when a spell or effect specifically say that you may 'play' the card or copy.

For example, the Epic reminder text:
    Epic (For the rest of the game, you can't play spells. At the beginning of each of your upkeeps, copy this spell except for its epic ability.)

It says you copy it, but it doesn't mention play. In this case, you put a copy of the spell on the stack, but 'when you play' triggers won't apply.

Another example: Isochron Scepter reads:
    2, T: You may copy the imprinted instant card. If you do, you may play the copy without paying its mana cost.

It says not just to copy the imprinted card, but to play the copy (without paying manacosts).

So, supposing you have a Thrumming Stone in play. If you play Enduring Ideal, it will trigger its ripple ability and look for others.
    The copies however, will have ripple (because all you spells have ripple) but the ripple never triggers because you don't play the copies.

Again, suppose you have a Thrumming Stone in play. If you imprint a Glacial Ray on an Isochron Scepter, the copy the scepter creates has ripple and is played, so you reveal the top four cards of your deck looking for other Glacial Rays.
    (And seeing that ripple lets you play those cards, you are allowed to splice other cards onto the Glacial Ray, like Stream of Consciousness).
  14. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

I may be reading this wrong, but it seems like you are saying that you can splice Stream of Consciousness (a non-splice card) onto Glacial Ray (a splice card).
  15. Limited Yes, but we won't care

You are totally right; I forgot that the Stream doesn't have Splice...

But you could probably mill somebody with Dampen Thoughts.. and use to Stream to restock your library in the 'regular' way.
  16. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Okay, what happens to the copy if you choose not to play it at that time, can you save it for later (teh majik doggy bag!)?

Blah... this is getting me confused.... I've had a bad day...
  17. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

no, you can't save the copies for later.
  18. Lythand Veteran CPA Member

So your saying that the second spell to come into play, does not trigger the ripple effect?
  19. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

No. He's talking about the copies from the epic, not the ripple.
  20. Limited Yes, but we won't care

What Mooseman said.
    Ripple doesn't create copies, but allows you to try and find cards with the same name and play them (which could be considered copies of the printed-cardboard type).
    But I was referring to the Epic copies (the abstract-ethereal kind) which aren't played.

Sheez, this is confusing :D