Some Questions

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by BuiltByKevlar, Aug 29, 2006.

1. BuiltByKevlar New Member

If I have a suppression field in play, does it cost two extra to use a forecast ability?

Also, If I use Lin Sivvi to recruit a rebel at the end of my opponents turn, does that creature have summoning sickness during my turn?

Thanks guys.

Oh, one more. Is Isperia's ability considered an activated ability or a triggered ability?
  2. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Forecast is an activated ability played from the hand, so it'd cost 2 more to play them.

Summoning Sickness (old term) declares that a creature cannot tap or attack if it has not been in play since the beginning of a players turn... So you can bring into play a creature during your opponents turn and it will be able to use it's effects during your turn.

Please give the full name of the card in question.
  3. turgy22 Nothing Special

Triggered. You can tell by the wording of "when" or "whenever" at the beginning of the ability description.

Tag Guard
  4. BuiltByKevlar New Member

If I have an astral slide in play and I cycle a card targeting my Surging Soldiers, do I get to ripple when he comes back into play?
  5. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

If you mean Surging Sentinals, then no you can't ripple, since the ripple is not a CIP effect.
    502.56a Ripple is a triggered ability that functions while the card with ripple is on the stack.

Astral Slide
    Whenever a player cycles a card, you may remove target creature from the game. If you do, return that creature to play under its owner's control at end of turn.

The Sentinals never go on the stack from Slide.
  6. Limited Yes, but we won't care

Actually, there's a (very) small difference.
    If there were an effect that put a creature (card) on the stack without playing it, you still wouldn't get a ripple trigger.
    That's because Ripple definition says "When you play this spell ..."

7. Lythand Veteran CPA Member

Limited. Do you have anything to clear up when it "comes into play " rule. I can not see why the ripple would not trigger. I play a deck with a group of friends were I Oath a creature card into play and the ripple effect triggers from a thrumming stone. Theya re all agreeing to it. I am assuming its correct.
  8. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Your friends are all wrong. Interestingly enough, so are you. The Ripple ability says "When you play this spell, do some stuff". Play, in this context, means to place the spell card on the stack and follow the steps in 409.

(- Steve -)
  9. Limited Yes, but we won't care

What Jigglypuff said.

Or, in more detail:
    Playing a spell consists of revealing the card, choosing its mode, choosing its targets and paying its manacost. Once you've done all this, the spell is put on the stack and it is considered played.
    Note, that it is still on the stack and has not resolved yet, but at this moment you check if there are any triggered abilities that triggered on playing a spell.

A creature with a "When ~ comes into play, do stuff" must first be played, resolved (being the top thing on the stack and everyone passing priority) and than this ability will trigger, because it just came into play.

When a creature has been brought into play with Oath of Druids or Zombify, it did come into play, so "When ~ comes into play ..." do trigger, but it wasn't played so stuff like Ripple does not trigger.
  10. BuiltByKevlar New Member

I am glad I wasn't the only one who was confused.

Got some new questions. If I have a Grand Arbiter Augustin IV, and I play a multicolored spell that is both blue and white, is its cost reduced by 2?

Also, Does the zubera's ability activate on the first zubera to go into the graveyard?

Thanks for the help everyone.
  11. Limited Yes, but we won't care

1) Yes, Augustin reduces WU spells with 2 because it has two distinct costreduction abilities that both apply

2) Whenever a Zubera goes to the graveyard, its 'goes to the grave' ability triggers. Upon resolvement, you check how many Zubera's went to the graveyard that turn.

Example 1:
    If during combat, three zubera's receive lethal damage, they are put into the graveyard simultaneously and the end of combat. Each of their triggers will be put on the stack (in the order the controller chooses) but upon the resolvement of each of them, it will know that three zubera's died this turn.

Example 2:
    You've got a couple of Zubera's and a Nantuko Husk. You sacrifice one Zubera to give the Husk +2/+2. On top of the Husk's ability, the zubera's ability is put on the stack. If, in response, you now sacrifice another Zubera, the Husk ability is added to the stack again and the second Zubera trigger is put on top of that.
    (Stack: Husk gets +2/+2, Zubera #1 trigger, Husk gets +2/+2, Zubera #2 trigger)
    Now, if players have no more responses, Zubera #2 trigger resolves, counting both zubera's that went to the grave. After that the Husk gets +2/+2. Then, the Zubera#1 trigger resolves also counting both zubera deaths.. (and finally, the Husk gets another +2/+2).

Clear?
  12. Lythand Veteran CPA Member

If true, then why, when a spell is played with ripple, then lets say the ripple is successful, the second card to hit the stack due to the ripple, has ripple on it as well, then it triggers again. The info I highlighted in bold contradicts that.
  13. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Ummm, why did you just take two unrelated clauses from two different paragraphs and glom them together into a quote? You can't just purposefully misquote someone like that. Oink

Anyway, to answer your question, the info you highlighted in bold actually does not contradict anything. The first part of your quote is referring to one of the steps of playing a spell or ability. The second part of your quote is referring to the situation when a card like Sneak Attack or Zombify brings a creature card into play. They are covering entirely different situations. The reason you can Ripple again off a Ripple is because the Ripple ability says to play the card, which means to go through the steps of 409. You just don't have to pay the mana cost.

(- Steve -)
  14. Limited Yes, but we won't care

Like Steve said, only nicer :D

The point is that Ripple says:

"Whenever you play a spell, you may reveal the top four cards of your library. You may play any revealed cards with the same name as the spell without paying their mana costs. Put the rest on the bottom of your library"

So, you still play the card (choosing modes, targets and then putting it on the stack).
  15. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Let's keep the personal attacks down to a minimum of say, zero? Thanks....

Tag Guard
  16. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Wait, I can't call Lythand out for that one? The point is that Lythand got confused because he didn't read or make any attempt to comprehend Limited's post. Instead, he took two different phrases from two different paragraphs, glommed them together into a quote, and claimed that they contradicted each other. Well, Lythand, I'm sure you took the time to think about your post a bit, so did you happen to notice that the two paragraphs you quoted from covered two contrasting situations? And now that you know that, is it now more likely that the two phrases do not in fact contradict each other?

(- Steve -)
  17. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

You can call him out or ask for an explanation/clarification. But that doesn't mean you can call him names because he did it.

Tag Guard
  18. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Well, watch. I can do it too!

I had to borrow from Limited's sig to make this work, but I think you get the idea.

(- Steve -)
  19. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Don't go postal now JP..... :D

You're right, but there is no need to attack anyone.

*Let he who is never wrong, cast the first flame strike*
  20. Lythand Veteran CPA Member

Sorry if it was confusing. I was trying to show, with what I quoted, the characteristics of what defines "Plays a spell" Using the two parts from each section as those characteristics. The next time I will be more definative on my explanation.

One of the things about forums I hate is the fact I tend to have a hard time getting my point accross without detailed expanation, body jesture, or tone and I really hate typing out a long drawn out thread just to get a small point accross. Thats why I like teamspeak and Ventrillo for bridging that gap.