Solve a friendly debate....

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by DarthFerret, Apr 19, 2005.

1. DarthFerret Evil Sith Weasel

Introducing, the new "Retro Magic League": Using the rule-set from the original 300 cards!!!!

All rulings in the league would be the original ruling of the appropriate type.

No errata, no Oracle, no Apprentice, just the first little booklet that came with the game, and the wording on the cards. (Probably need a sub rule book to list the original rulings of certain newer abilities...ie phasing, cycling, rampage, splice, etc..etc..)
  2. Killer Joe Active Member

Good Luck finding participants :)
  3. orgg Administrator

If you've GOT the first (or second/third) rulebook that came with the game, I'd LOVE to get them from you, Darth Ferret.
  4. DarthFerret Evil Sith Weasel

Well, I used to have a whole bunch, but when I got divorced somehow one of my deck boxes got left behind. It had 2 of my fav. decks (one with 4 Vesuvan Dopplegangers) and all the RuleBooks in it. I am still pretty upset about that and it has been 5 yrs now. She said she never found them, but she has friends that played magic, so I have an odd feeling......
  5. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Well, you could re-errata the interrupts to be interrupts again. And I suppose any new instants that should have been interrupts would become interrupts as well. It might be annoying to keep track of at first, but would probably be okay once you got used to it...

The same would go for mana sources, but they would be easier, since there aren't very many of them. I wonder how hard it is to get old versions of the comprehensive rules...

Probably it's impossible unless you already made copies of them or can break into WotC's secret vault... :rolleyes:
  6. DarthFerret Evil Sith Weasel

I do have, somewhere around here, the original rule/help book with the brown cover that WOTC put outback in 1993 or so. If I find it, will try to use it to answer any questions y'all have.
  7. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Oversoul: Or, since it's the DI, WOTC could choose to "control" the cards and decks by giving the players a common card pool of "made-up cards" like they've done in the past and thus everyone knows what is an Interrupt, Instant, Mana Source, etc...
  8. Oversoul The Tentacled One

I'm not sure what you mean...
  9. DarthFerret Evil Sith Weasel

Spiderman, do you mean something like the gold bordered collectors sets? Or are you talking about a non-tourney legal new set, that would only work for that DI?

When Magic fist came out, one of my buddies was trying to get four full sets (we are talking the original 300) of cards [Five full sets of the artifacts]. His Idea was to get 5 people together, with no cards, and each picks a solid color and gets 4 of each card of that color, and One full set of Artifacts to build a deck with. I left college and never knew if he accomplished this. That is something I would think is cool...Find four full sets of a Block, and do the same. If anyone has that..(sure....) then lets do it!....I guess you could do it on apprentice, but....that does not allow for multi-player...and talk about a Five-Pointed Star game from hell. I promise not to play with Sharazad! :D
  10. orgg Administrator

Wizards reprinted the text of the Alpha rulebook on Magicthegathering.com at one point if you're looking for the old rules; I just collect the little rulebooks printed by Wizards of the Coast. I'm needing Alpha/Beta/ Unlimited, a good condition Revised, and Portal 3 Themedecks.
  11. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

This might be hard to explain with the right Duelist to reference, but...

I guess what I'm thinking of is more along the lines of a "mini" non-tourney legal set that's only good for that DI. If I remember correctly, basic land was "mocked up" (using Rosewater's words) and were turned into new cards for this mini set, probably not unlike Rosewater's example of how R&D uses cards from his article this week. Everyone got the same pool and built decks and played each other swiss style? And the results was part of the scoring for their overall standings in the DI. I'm not sure how big the set was though - can't remember if it was a "normal size" first expansion of a block or smaller.

But that way, WOTC controls the cards so could easily use some of type Interrupt, Mana Source, etc. And it's just basic land cards at the core anyway so they can't be "leaked out" and affect the environment outside the DI.
  12. Killer Joe Active Member

I've been doing that for years. But to make a set with non-existing cards is a cool idea. :)
  13. orgg Administrator

It sounds like you're describing Duplicate Limited, Spidy. That's where everyone gets the same pool of crap/gold/made up cards and builds decks with them.
  14. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

That's probably what it is then. Only instead of existing cards, the DI players would get "new", never-seen before ones.
  15. DarthFerret Evil Sith Weasel

I would definately sign up to do that, if I had the means. One of my main problems with deckbuilding, is unfamiliarity with the newer cards (y'all might have already figured that out). If there was a whole completly new set, with Oracle type rulings already made for that set, and made availible to the players, would be interesting to see how my deck ideas would match up with others. To me that is the true test of skill. See who has the better deckbuilding skills. If you hear of that...sign me up!

Maybe we could do something like that here, although it would probably be a very long and tedious process. But it is a thought!
  16. orgg Administrator

I'd like to do Duplicate Sealed with a Portal 2 or Portal 1 preconstructed starter set. That'd be fun. :{ )
  17. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

DarthFerret: Well, the "Oracle wordings" are already built into new cards by definition. It's when the rules change that older cards have to be looked at and changed if necessary also.

So we could do Limited Sealed with any set or combination here on the forums if you want. I can generate some Starters and/or boosters and we can have at it :)

orgg: Same with you for Portal. I think Apprentice or Magic Suitcase can generate Portal Starters...
  18. Killer Joe Active Member

Whenever the next large expansion comes out, in September for the pre-release, that would be a good time to play on a level playing field because no one knows the new cards.
  19. DarthFerret Evil Sith Weasel

I would be more than happy to play any type of sealed, (heck I might even do a portal type....did I just say that?) on this board.
  20. Oversoul The Tentacled One

I haven't done any sealed games for like five years, but I'd be willing to give it a shot...

Doesn't Appr. have a thing for sealed?