Solve a friendly debate....

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by DarthFerret, Apr 19, 2005.

1. DarthFerret Evil Sith Weasel

Ok, this is for anyone who can remeber back to the pre 6th Ed. rules.

The question is, can an interrupt be played at any point to couter a spell after a response to that spell has been given.

The example is as follows.

Player Bob: Plays Balance (Except the player who controls the fewest lands, each player sacrifices lands until all players control the same number of lands as the player who controls the fewest. Players do the same for creatures and discard cards the same way.).

Player Joe: I sacrifice all of my land to my Zuran Orb.

Player Bob: Ok now I counterspell my own Balance.

Is this a legal move in pre 6th ed. (I know it is now because of the stack.)

Please help us (Myself and Spiderman) resolve this issue.
  2. Killer Joe Active Member

But, I know this, for sure:

Balance is a sorcery that's played by Bob.

Bob has now finished his 'batch' of spells or abilities and has only Balance getting ready to resolve.

Before they (or just 'Balance' in this case) resolve, now player Joe may create a 'batch' of spells or abilities. In this case player Joe sacrfices all of his lands to a Zuran orb.

Bob waits for player Joe to sacrifice the lands to the Zuran Orb and now "INTERRUPTS" the game with Counterspell targeting his own Balance.
    Balance is interrupted and countered.

I think this is correct.
  3. Oversoul The Tentacled One

I am pretty sure that KJ is correct. I still have a 5th edition rulebook that I can dig up if it would help...
  4. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

I dunno about 6th edition (I really just follow my own rules that are usually just the updated stuff), but basically it would happen like this in my own mind:

Player A: plays Sorcery (Balance)

Response?

Player B: Choice of: allowing Player A to use another spell/allowing Player A to resolve Sorcery/pass priority or cast spell (instant/interrupt/fast effect).

Player B: Chooses to use fast effect of Zuran Orb (sacrifice a land: gain 2 life), sacrificing lands to pay the cost and Zuran Orb's effect goes onto the stack.

Response?

Player A: Choice of: play spell (instant/Interrupt/fast effect) or allow Player B to cast another spell (instant/interrupt/fast effect)/pass priority/etc.

Player A: Casts Counterspell on Balance.

Player B: Craps his/her pants because he just burned their lands...

Basically, Interrupts and Instants are the same thing. And as long as the thing is on the stack, you can counter it.

That was how I was told anyways.
  5. kriz_riktr Member

No it was not. Prior to the release of the 6th edition rules set the only opportunity to counter a spell was immediately after it was played. An 'interrupt window' was created after anyone attempted to play a spell or ability. If this spell or ability passed through this window then it was successfully played. Once the spell or ability passed through this window it was too late to try and counter it.
  6. Killer Joe Active Member

Never heard THAT before but it makes sense now. :)

Okay, I've said this before: The Stack was the single-best thing that ever happened to MTG :D
  7. DarthFerret Evil Sith Weasel

Now I will agree with you KJ, it is.

You win....

Spiderman 1
    DarthFerret 0
  8. orgg Administrator

No, that wouldn't have been legal; if you allowed someone to sacrifice their lands (a.k.a. an instant speed ability), you would have allowed the 'interrupt window' to close. When a spell was announced and paid for, there was a time when Interrupts could be played on it. If they wern't, it was considered to be 'sucessfully cast' and waited for more instants to be played.

EDIT: Hardcore Sarnath'd by the big judge. You rock, Kris!
  9. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Yea! I remembered correctly then... reading those Duelists paid off :)
  10. Killer Joe Active Member

Good ridance to the old rules :rolleyes:
  11. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Now wouldn't it be amusing if during something like the Duelist Invitational, the rules were turned back to pre-6th... :D
  12. DarthFerret Evil Sith Weasel

Oh Gawd, talk about peoples heads a-spinnin'. Although, that would give some of the older pre 6th players a bit of an edge. They should be able to switch back over a little easier than a relatively green player.
  13. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

It'd be fun and wacky (at least from my perspective :) ) which is the whole point of the DI, right? ;)
  14. Killer Joe Active Member

David Price
    Michael Long
    John Finkle
    Paul Sligh
    Ben Rubin

Do you mean THOSE old players or do you mean old players as in Spiderman's age group ;)
  15. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

None of them are in this year's DI. It's a new generation :)

There aren't any old schoolers in your age group, KJ? ;)
  16. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Switching back might causes problems with interrupts having been gone for so long (mana sources too, but that wouldn't be such a big deal).
  17. DarthFerret Evil Sith Weasel

The way I understood in the old rulings, was that mana was at the speed of an interupt. If not, then the counterspell that you cast would actually superscede the mana cost paid for it, and would not go off because the mana was not paid.
  18. EricBess Active Member

Actually, "Mana Source" was a type in an of itself for a while. Effective, though not technically, it was an interrupt, but that didn't open it's own interrupt window. In fact, "Dark Ritual" has been an Instant, Interrupt, and Mana Source throughout the course of it's carreer.
  19. Oversoul The Tentacled One

And I have Dark Rituals of each type! Dark Ritual is such an awesome card...
  20. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I know. Trying to solve those little problems would make it even more interesting :)