So, like anything other than Magic?

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Just wondering what other types of games the other members play?

As for CCGs, the only one I really play is Magic. I've dabbled in the likes of SW:CCG, Redemption, SimCity, Rage, and Young Jedi. The only ones (other than Magic) I've enjoyed were SW:CCG and Young Jedi.

I'm also an avid console/computer gamer. My favorite genre is probably RPG, including the whole FF series, Dragon Warrior, and more. I also enjoy RTS's, FPS's (Quake I and Half-life), Sports games (NHL '99 and FIFA), and puzzle games (Myst, Riven) and whatever you call Diablo. :) This brings me to another point that I'll comment on a little later.

I haven't played any board games in awhile, but they're always fun. :)

Oh, and I really enjoy PnP gaming. I first discovered D&D when I was about 6 or 7(!). And I've tried to play whenever I can, but I haven't really been able to find a group.

As for that other point, look at what is being release until the end of the year. Wow!
EA Sports games, Unreal Tourney, AoE II, Planescape: Torment, Asheron's Call, Quake III, Seven Kingdoms II, SimTheme Park, Ultima Ascension and Diablo II.
Then, if you look into the far future, you have Warcraft III and Neverwinter Nights!
Holy cow! There are a lot of quality games. And then you add Dreamcast and FF8 into the picture. :)

So, what do you guys play?

-mike
"What exactly is a RPS (role playing strategy) anyway? :)"

N

nekrataal

I play Magic, but have dabbled in the Star Wars CCG and Star Trek CCG. Star Trek was an utter waste of time and Star Wars was really confusing so I've kinda been stuck on Magic.

As for non-card games I play some PC games. Half-Life, Quake, Rainbow Six, Command and Conquer, all the Sim City games, Need for Speed III, and thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

I really love 007 and The Legend of Zelda for Nintendo 64. 007 has to be one of the most fun multiplayer games I have ever played. Zelda is an incrediable game for N64 and I have played all of them since regular Nintendo. I was even one of the lucky ones to get a gold cartridge. :)

I rarely play board games, but I am pretty good at the monster known as Monopoly.

-nekrataal
"Thank you, and good night..."

Ferret

Staff member
I've loved games my whole life - it runs in the family. Every member of my family on both sides always loves to get together just to sit around for hours playing...I guess that's why casual play is so important to me. Winning is never half as important as the time you spend w/ family and friends playing together...(Hmmm, that would make a good openning to an article - may have to save it)

I've always loved card games and became quite good at canasta when I was younger and almost good at Uno. When the CCG 'craze' started almost six years ago I started w/ Magic, but decided to play a few others like Star Trek, Star Wars, Jyhad (when it was still called that), Wyvern, and Iluminat: New World Order. Star Trek was horrible, Star Wars would have required me to buy too many cards - and I didn't like the fact that it was only two player, Jyhad actually NEEDED more than two players and I could never find anyone that wanted to play it, Iluminati:NWO was the same way, and Wyvern was just plain bad. So, I stayed w/ Magic.

I like board games like Monopoly (old time classic), Parchesi, Axis & Allies, and Risk. Lots of fun for 2-8 people from 8 to adult (although, I started when I was only 4 - gofig).

...but my all time love was video games. I went crazy when I saw my first Pong machine. I was amazed at the graphics of Space Invaders, and the use of real colour w/ Galaxian...lately, I've become disillusioned by the things you see in arcades. They all look the same to me...

...so I stick w/ home systems. I've played on every game system ever made and currently own five - six as soon as I pick up a Dreamcast, but that might be a while. RPG games have always been my favourites. I can't figure out why. Maybe, it's the fact that I don't have to have too much hand-eye-coordination to play them or the plots are quite good, but I've always enjoyed them the most.

Ah, nostalgia...

-ferret

"...only 28½ hours until I have my paws on Final Fantasy VIII..."

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
All the machines in the arcades these days seem to be the same. They all have those plastic guns, or you sit in front of them and drive. Then I played Gauntlet: Legends. I haven't played an adventure game in an arcade for a really long time, and it was really fun.

Pong. I found some version of it on a download site and my friends and I played it all the time. (Take note this was about 1 year ago!) But that is one of the few classics I've ever played, so I have to stick to the emulators. But they're still fun.

And I think my draw to RPGs has been that they always take so long to beat. Not some 7-12 hour game (aka the PSX Metal Gear). Anywhere from 60-200!

-mike

B

Baron Sengir

Obviously, Magic is my first love. However, my brother and I play both Star Wars card games regularly. We play them for fun and use a lot of proxies. I also enjoyed playing Netrunner. Talk about playable right out of the box. If you can find any of the starter decks anywhere, pick one up and play the sucker. You won't be disappointed.

I remain
The Baron
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees still laugh at it?

T

theorgg

three letters: NES.

my first love, and SNES was my mistress
Maniac mantion, contra, Rampage, and more.
interestingly enough, I got into Role playng games with Super's the secret of mana. then they conquered me. it brought me into Magic.
I still haven't bought an n64 because there isn't any really good RPG's that I have seen.

as for card games, I have enjoyed Magic since december of homelands. at collossal games in gorgia, they did several demos for deadlands after gambling and buying it out of the bargain bins of all the other stores. I picked it up and really like it.
nothing like havin 32 5's in a fourty card deck!

Y

Young Jedi

I play Magic, and lately I started playing...Young Jedi. Amazing, huh? Anyways, if you haven't tried YJ, I suggest you try it. It's easy to learn, fun to play, and everyone loves Star Wars...come on!
I also can't wait until FF8 comes out...mmmmm.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
As I mentioned on another thread, I've played a few other CCG's besides Magic, like Shadowfist (it's coming back!), Star Wars, and Battletech. Currently, my boys and I are getting into Pokemon.

I've always enjoyed video games, though I'm not really up on the newer ones. We stopped buying cartridges for the SNES a couple years ago, and we have yet to make the big home computer purchase.

We've made a family thing out of Settlers of Catan. The board game I gave my wife a couple years ago for Christmas is played by the whole family. My eldest son (8) keeps trying to beat the old man at Stratego, and is almost desperate to learn RISK. My youngest is digging his Trouble right now, though the games usually degenerate into free-for-alls.

I think he likes it that way.

I agree with you guys on the arcade games, though I do like the way the race games are linked together so you can race your friends. That part is cool. The rest of the new games are pretty generic, though.

TomB
CPA Member
"Remember Asteroids? I've got a much cheaper version of it on my NT at work..."

D

Dune Echo

God, games... I think that I'm as bad as all of you. I get into trouble with my wife because I love games too much. I love RPG's. I'm dying to be able play the original Final Fantasy (can anyone send me the emulator and game?) again. All the Final Fantasy series is great! Favorite character of all time: Edge, the Ninja from FF2. I'm an ex-Diablo nut. (Too many cheats now.) I like FPS like Half-Life and TFC.

Other than the big money-makers, I enjoy playing Uno and another that I can't recall the name of right off hand. Between my wife and I, we love the Tomb Raider series, my wife more-so than I, I think. We play Gin Rummy almost every night and keep score. We played one game to 5,000 that took about a month of playing about an hour a night to finish. We both passed 5,000 in the same round. Currently, we're halfway to finishing our Gin 2,000 game.

Also, my wife and I play a strategy game called Cathedral. Anyone know it? A tiled board with little buildings of different sizes and shapes. The object is to control sections of the game board by enclosing it with your pieces like a wall. If you can find it, it's a great game with a minorly medievil theme. And the strategy is not too complex; anyone can play.

M

majere666

i have dabbled into about every single ccg out there also. i agree that jyhad sucked mad goat nuts without about 4 or 6 players. thank god that game is gone. i could never find enough players.
my current fave non-CCG games are the whole Street Fighter series and all it's clones (albeit Mortal Kombat). i've been a ryu player since the beginning. i mean his fireball was WAY too powerful in the sf2 series. i love rpgs too, although i was slightly disappointed with ff7. i love the storyline to ff6, and although i did break into tears when aeris (i think that's her name) died in ff7, it didn't really do much for me after that. i wish the game play would go back to ff1, where only certain classes could use magic. it made magic a much more mysterious force, whereas in the later ff games magic seems to be far too abundant.
and of course, AD&D is THE SHIT. i love the portability and speed of Magic, but you can't beat AD&D on plot depth and storytelling.
pokemon is OK. god i hate saying that on a Magic-based bbs, i feel like i am going to get gangraped now =P i do HATE pikachu though, that may sooth some irrate nerves. i'm all about jigglypuff instead =)
for those of you interested in playing kick ass text games on a bbs (LORD, Exitilus, etc) try The Gathering BBS. i have been a player on it for years, the sysop is well known and does a great job. The machine is at Virginia Tech college, and you can connect to it through Brandon Booker (the sysops) homepage at http://elrond.darktech.org/gathering/index.shtml
also, anyone interested in nes, snes, or mame emulators and/or roms drop me an email at jobowyer@vt.edu. i have just about every single us and japanese game on all three consoles.

Ferret

Staff member
Well, majere, you've got to at least RENT FFVIII! It is incredible...of course, I've seen graphics this good when I played Parasite Eve, but it's FOUR DISKS - the music is outstanding - as always - and the openning scene will blow your mind! Just think back to how cool the final battle w/ Sephiroth was and you'll get the picture...

...and if it still isn't good, they'll be releasing Final Fantasy V (first time in the states!) and Final Fantasy VI (III on the SNES) in an anthology later...

-ferret

"You want it. Everybody wants it. So go get it!"

N

nekrataal

Oh man, how could I have forgotten the good old BBS. I swear, some of the medieval text games you can play are so much fun on there. I forget what the names are since its been at least a year since I last got on, but they are well worth the half hour or so a day.

Anyway, I do remember the space/trading game called Trade Wars. If you haven't played before, you should do so. It lets you basically build an empire by trading at ports in different sectors. You gain money from your trades and upgrade ships, build planets, updgrade planetary defenses and rule with an iron fist! Its tons of fun, especially if you join a team and start a corporation. Then the heads roll...

-nekrataal
"...my one post for today...damn more homework!"

Ferret

Staff member
I could never get into Tradewars - required too much attention and if you missed a day - or didn't team up w/ everyone else - it got incredibly hard...everyone was in such a hurry to kill everyone else....the online games I liked were Planets and Legend of the Red Dragon...

-ferret

"Bow down before the might of Snow Black!"

Z

Zadok001

Games?

Where?

Gimme!

Back to the point. I've played games as long as I can remember, everything from Joust to Frogger. My all-time favorite games were the old pixelated King's Quest series (just I - IV, from there they got pretty dull...).

Recently, I've rediscovered the wierd little game Ascendancy. It was never ultra-popular, but the graphics are pretty good, considering the age, and it's a great strategic scale game...

And I play Risk constantly, as well as World Sim (which I think only exists within the confines of my school...)

Just my thoughts... Random gibberish now that Pre-Calc is getting started...

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic
CPA Member
"We have more sprouts than they have hands."

Ferret

Staff member
Ascendency rocked! I lent it to a friend and he showed it to a few of our mutual friends - the next day they all went out and bought it. The game was all about eye and ear candy. The strategy portion of it was pretty good, but the fact that it was both visually and audibly stimulating made it a good solid game....it's probably the best game no one has ever heard of...

-ferret

"...if you liked that you should try The Tone Rebellion - it's the only other game from that company..."

N

nekrataal

Hey, do any of you guys play Everquest? My friend has it and it really rocks. I'd like some pointers before I start to play for real.

-nekrataal

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
I would have EQ except for 2 reasons:
1. I don't really want to spend $10/month on it. I mean, I'd have to quit magic then.

2. It requires a lot of time to make that $10 worthwhile, IMO. Time is not something that can be flung around uselessly, at least for me.

So, how's FF8 to everyone who has it? Ok, I know its great, but why.

-mike
Prereleases were over the weekend right? theorgg, report?

N

nekrataal

Yeah, I see your point Ed. The thing is that Magic has pretty much died out around here so I see EQ as the perfect replacement. $10 is significantly less than what I would spend on Magic any given week let alone a month. But don't worry I'm not giving up Magic... I just don't really have anyone to frequently play.
Anyway, if you've got an extra ten bucks to kick around each month then look into Everquest!

-nekrataal
"The sick thing is that people actually sell Everquest items for upwards of $100 on eBay..."

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Don't get me wrong. EQ is a really cool game. My friend plays it, well.. religiously. I think he's about level 38/39 now. And I would get it, but I just remembered something: P166.
My computered is demented now--works, but it's demented.

<font size="2" color="#FF6000">* Ed Sullivan prepares to rant</font>
Well, I have a P133, which is just on the edge/below most CPU "requirements". Before I bought a Banshee, Half-Life ran 5 FPS at 320x240 in software.
Now its about 10 FPS at 640x480 in OpenGL. My CD-ROM is supposedly 12x, but it only successfully runs at 1x. It takes me about 10 minutes to get past the opening movie in Riven, and then it's still not playable. And 32 MB of RAM is hardly enough to run Photoshop, 3+ instances of Netscape and text editors at once..heck, its not really even enough to run Photoshop!
<font size="2" color="#FF6000">* Ed Sullivan stops ranting</font>
Well, I think I can basically fix all those situations:
CPU: $150 for a MotherBoard/Celeron 400
CD-ROM: I think I can get another one free from Gateway
RAM: My brother in-law is going to give me 32 or 64 more!

Then, if you remember, I'm only 15. And since I stupidly chose not to work over the summer and I definately can't work during school, I have virtually no income, except for what comes from my parents. Then chuck going out w/ friends, buying other stuff, etc. in the the situation. And I'm left with... -$$$

There's my editorial on why I can't buy EQ. But you can donate to my "Get Ed EQ fundraiser" at... no, j/k

Well, I need another source of income. Anyone want me to (re)design them a website? They're cheap!

Ok.. I'm babbling, I'll shut up now.

-mike
"Smack me in my mouth 200 times..." - KeepAway by Godsmack

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Oh yeah, 2 more things:

1, about EQ items on Ebay: I've seen them go for more than $100. The sickest thing was when this whole online only game auctioning stuff started when someone put up their UO character.. I think it went for $1500+!!!!

2, another hack: Well, this shouldn't come as a suprise anymore. But I'm adding in deleting individual posts. This way, if you double post, you can just delete the post. If you double post a topic, you're going to have to have an admin delete the extra topic though.

Any other hacks you guys want me to include? Anything at all..

-mike
the CPA UBB genie; "your wish is my command"