slimming down the unused accounts

D

Doombringer

I was scrolling through the members pages (I got to about number ten before losing interest) and i noticed that most names had no posts and completely blank user info. these names were probably the product of someone signing up and forgetting to ever come back or something else. Any way to slim down all the wasted space or is it too hard or time consuming to do?:confused:

N

Notepad

I agree that there needs to be a slimming. Maybe all accounts that haven't been used in a year or more should be deleted. It would get rid of all the bogus accounts.

There will be some who leave and want to come back, and may be annoyed by their account no longer being there.

But when that happens, people tend to forget their password anyway, so having to make a new account (with the same name if they want) actually is good since it lets them remember their brand new password.)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's the type of thing only Ed can do as the creator of the site and full access to the files... though it makes sense to me.

N

Nightstalkers

I dont' even want to see this sorta thing... I finally had to get someone to code out a program to delete all the unused accounts on the game server...

Everyone who hasn't logged on in a months time and isn't on the banned list is deleted. Bah, I hate running this server for peoples entertainment.

N

Notepad

What in the hell are you talking about, NSS? You won't be the one doing the cleanup, if Ed happens to decide to unertake such a project.

Then again...it does seem a worthy punishment. ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ed's around, he checks in and maintains the site. I don't think the deletion of accounts is a high priority for him for reasons known to him...

N

Notepad

Everyone knows how big a buttload is. Imagine a buttload of buttloads. That's how many junk accounts are in the system. I think clearing them out, and the tediousness of doing so, is the prime reason Ed prefers to just leave them there.

Unless of course, somebody hitches a harness on old Night Stalker S there and forces him to write a script. ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, to the uninitiated like me, it doesn't seem too intense. If there was a way to check the last logon, just do a sweep and delete everyone who hasn't been on x date or earlier.

If there's not such a record, then it would be a tad harder... :)

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by SeFRo
Unless of course, somebody hitches a harness on old Night Stalker S there and forces him to write a script. ;)
Tried it once, scripts had more problems than the guy a cubicle over has ripped MP3s.

Nah, just get someone to do it like me. After that, figure out how he did it and smile.

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Spiderman
Ed's around, he checks in and maintains the site. I don't think the deletion of accounts is a high priority for him for reasons known to him...
I guess it all comes down to whether the unused accounts are interfering w/ the space out site takes up on the server that Ed pays for each month. I know that if he did decide to delete dormant accounts, there would have to be specific criteria. I believe that killing accounts that have never contributed (posted in forums, submitted articles, or even replied to an article) couldn't hurt if the account han't logged on for a year. However, killing an account that for someone that was a major contributor to the forums, submitted a few articles, or just happens to be one of the first few people that logged on when the site went up five years ago (has it been THAT LONG ????) would be an incredible to diservice to the user...

All things' considered, I believe that our site has a pretty decent number of dormant accounts compared to some other forums I've seen that have an equal number of posts, but ten times as many users...

-Ferret

"Whatever you do, just don't delete ME :)"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Ed hasn't really commented and he's away this week anyway, so I don't think there's any need to worry about this stuff right now :)

N

Nightstalkers

Well, I'm with Gaia and I got to be admin on a couple other forums before I got disgusted and left.... Even an admin on FSO once.

Well anyways, once a name is taken up, nobody can create an account with that name. So if someone created an account named <expletive deleted><expletive deleted>, you could ban the name, then leave it on the system so that nobody could use it again to be a pain in the <expletive deleted>.