Simple "Protection" Question

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by WhiteMagic, Jun 30, 2004.

1. WhiteMagic New Member

I am just getting back into Magic after several years of not playing, so forgive me for asking a basic question about how protection works:

Suppose my opponent has a creature that has Protection From Artifacts.

I have a non-artifact creature (let's say it is a Green 1/1 creature). I have a equipped this creature with a BoneSplitter (Artifact Equipment which gives +2/+0).

What happens if I attack, and my opponent blocks? Does his Protection From Artifacts creature take
    a) no damage (since there is an Artifact in the mix of what is attacking him)
    b) 1 point of damage (since the BoneSplitter wouldn't affect him but the creature would) or
    c) 3 points of damage since it is a Green creature which is attacking?
  2. BigBlue Magic Jones

Good Question.

The answer is 3 points, because the equipment grants the green creature the +2 - and it doesn't make the creature an artifact.

In the same way that casting Rancor on a Masticore doesn't make it green.

The general rule is that enchantments (or equipment) doesn't change the color of the enchanted permanent unless it specifically says so.
  3. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

So your basically getting the dmg from the creature, not the artifact.

Now if you gave the critter pro artifacts, would the equipped artifacts become removed? (sorry, just thought that up while typing this....)
  4. mythosx Legendary Creature-Human

no....you just can't target it again...the changed enchantments and thus equipments as one time targeting deals. So now it only targets the intended target upon casting and activation, and not a state based effect.
  5. kriz_riktr Member

While it is true that the check for legal targets of local enchantments and the equip ability is only done when played and when they resolve, local enchantments and equipment WILL fall off of a permanent that has a relevant protection ability. This is because of second aspect of protection listed below:

Protection from <quality>:
    D- Damage from sources of that quality is prevented.
    E- Enchantments / Equipment of that quality can not enchant / equip the protected permanent.
    B- The creature with protection can not be blocked by creatures of that quality.
    T- Spells and abilities of that quality that target can not target the permanent with protection.
    (This forms the acronym DEBT.)
  6. mythosx Legendary Creature-Human

I looked it up again in the comprehensive rules...Yeah...I misunderstood a Saturday school question.. OK its the same.. no...no you cant...
  7. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Okay, so basically Equipment is like an enchant creature thats recastable... reequippable actually :XD (under my filing system I have in my head)

Interesting...

All those people who are heavy on equipment would have the funniest time if someone just gave all their creatures protection from artifacts. :D
  8. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Or good 'ol Shatterstorm or Meltdown... :)
  9. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Eh... I'm a bit pissy with red anymore. Guy I've been playing M:TG with used to play a red sligh until I evolved my protection deck from a green protection to a red protection. Really worked well if I may say so myself.

Then he went a draw/discard/megrim deck that really got me mad... so I evolved my Transcendence/Forsaken Wastes deck to become immune to that deck too. Only played him once before I adapted it completely to negate his strategy.

heh... We are the Borg, resistance is futile.
  10. BigBlue Magic Jones

This week, someone used the olde Primitive *somethingorother* from Alliances to good effect...

He had a Mana Flare in play, so it was cheap to get rid of a lot of his opponents artifacts.

The spell *which I cannot remember the name of and don't have time to lookup* is the same as shatter, except that for each additional 1R you pay you can shatter another artifact and for each additional 1G you pay you shatter the artifact and gain life...

It's better than Shatterstorm (if more expensive) because you can target the removal, leaving your own and your teams in place.
  11. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Primitive Justice...
  12. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Nightstalkers: Well yeah, any deck can be a foil or counter for one particular other deck. You just have to know when that deck is playing...

A deck that can handle multiple types of decks is better, IMO... :)
  13. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

I'm trying to make a white deck that'll be ready to protect me from anything. I'm splashing some blue into it for the magical hacks and stuff (I know, I'm oldskool). Basically, get myself protected from my opponents, then destroy everything in play with Northern Paladins (Oh yeah, my northern paladins can now target white, green, blue, and red targets too ^_^ ), then just attack with those.

Hmm... its an old deck I've been wanting to put together for a few years (Actually started, but quit because I found I didn't have the stuff for it.)
  14. train The Wildcard!!!...

animate it - titania's song... then kill it with a shock...