Shroud

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by BigBlue, Jul 2, 2008.

1. BigBlue Magic Jones

I am really out of it - and not thinking....

It's obvious when a creature has it as a static ability - you simply cannot target it...

But, with the activated abilities for shroud (like the advanced hoverguard in my sports league game vs Melkor)...

Say I have a lightning bolt and target a creature which can activate shroud... After I target it, if they activate shroud, that counters the bolt, doesn't it? It seems counterintuitive since it's already been targetted... but otherwise activated shroud would be meaningless... If I had a second bolt, I could use it after they activate though and if they weren't able to pay, it would die then, correct?

Thanks!
  2. rokapoke Man Among Gods

Your situation is correct. Good old stacking!
  3. EricBess Active Member

Anything that targets rechecks the targets when it would resolve to see if they are still legal targets. If shroud is in effect when the Bolt (or other spell) resolves, then the target is no longer legal and the spell would be countered on resolution.

You are also correct that the second bolt (first to resolve) would kill it (if he didn't have mana to reactivate the effect, as you say) because shoud wouldn't be in effect until the ability giving it shroud resolves and the bolt would resolve before that.
  4. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

It Fizzles, I don't care if that's no longer in use, it makes sense....... :D

Just remember that all targets must be no longer legal for the spell to fizzle (that seed spell that targets 3 times would still try to resolve what it can)
  5. Oversoul The Tentacled One

I'm lost here. I thought I still had some grasp on the rules. But I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about. Why wouldn't you be able to target a creature with a static ability?
  6. Melkor Active Member

If that static ability was shroud, then the answer should be pretty clear. By the by, BigBlue, I'm certain this question is purely hypothetical and has nothing to do with the aforementioned Sports League game.
  7. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Is this a belated April Fools joke in which the five of you talk about the same thing and pretend that it makes sense?
  8. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

BigBlue was talking about the situation when shroud is an activated ability, not a static one, and what happens with spells that can initially target a creature before it gains shroud.
  9. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Okay, so it's been over a year, but I missed the meeting where we changed untargetable to shroud and somehow hadn't encountered the term since then. That was the source of my confusion. Oh well, retroactive keywords will probably always throw me off.
  10. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Play some mindmaster games with the new stuff and you'll see all the new crap they are adding...... that's how I learn the new stuff...... What, open packs and sort cards..... are you nuts? :D
  11. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Hey, at least you play in real life and go to prereleases. Seriously, the Mindmaster games *are* how I learn how this stuff plays out now :)