Sextended Rector

G

Gizmo

This ought to get your creative juices flowing.

Way back in the distant past I built a UBC deck based on Pattern Of Rebirth and Academy Rector - a deck that later became known as 'Sexy Rector'.
While always competitive the deck is rarely the best in the environment, but it`s ALWAYS huge fun to play.
So lets build an extended version, at least the mana should be easy.

***LAUNCH ALPHA BUILD***

4 Birds Of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elf
1 Thrull Surgeon
2 Phyrexian Ghoul
1 Stronghold Assasin
1 Bottle Gnomes
1 Spike Feeder
1 Reliquiry Monk
1 Monk Idealist
4 Academy Rector
1 Masticore
1 Phyrexian Plaguelord
1 Fallen Angel
1 Woodripper
1 Crater Hellion
1 Verdant Force
(26)

1 Oath Of Ghouls
1 Recurring Nightmare
4 Pattern Of Rebirth
1 Parallax Wave
1 Worship
1 Saproling Burst
1 Confiscate
(10)

2 Phyrexian Tower
2 City Of Brass
2 Tropical Island
4 Scrubland
4 Bayou
4 Savannah
6 Forest
(24)

Or something.

Go to it, you can't go wrong with this deck - just stick the creatures and enchantments you want to play with in.

G

Gizmo

See?

Mystic Snake.

And I missed out Tradewind Rider and Avatar of Woe and Opposition...

G

Gizmo

4 Birds Of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elf
1 Thrull Surgeon
3 Phyrexian Ghoul
1 Monk Idealist
1 Bottle Gnomes
4 Academy Rector
2 Tradewind Rider
1 Krovikan Horror
1 Masticore
1 Phyrexian Plaguelord
1 Woodripper
1 Crater Hellion
1 Avatar Of Woe
(26)

1 Recurring Nightmare
1 Pernicious Deed
4 Pattern Of Rebirth
1 Worship
1 Opposition
1 Saproling Burst
1 Confiscate
(10)

1 Phyrexian Tower
2 City Of Brass
1 Tundra
3 Tropical Island
4 Scrubland
4 Bayou
4 Savannah
5 Forest
(24)

SB:
1 Monk Realist
1 Pygmy Hippo
1 Peacekeeper
1 Mystic Snake
3 Duress
1 Absolute Law
1 CoP:Red
1 Oath Of Ghouls
1 Goblin Bombardment (poss maindeck)
1 Serenity
1 Sacred Ground
1 City Of Solitude (poss maindeck)
1 Teferi`s Moat (poss maindeck)
(15)

Z

Zadok001

That looks VERY familiar... :) That's MY Extended deck (well, close). *grin*

I personally like to run FAR fewer silver bullets, but that's probably just me. Having more than 10 or so makes it far too likely that I'll draw one. I prefer to be able to run more utility spells like Duress to keep my opponent from stopping me, and just a few bullets to control the board and end the game.

R

rkoelsch

I thought that deck looked familiar. wasn't there 4 Ghouls in your deck also. better for sacrificing rectors.

Z

Zadok001

Yah, I run 4 Ghouls for consistancy on the turn 3 trick. But two Phyrexian Towers are a good way to make up for fewer Ghouls. (Though honestly, which is better for you? Black mana, or a creature that does 20 damage?)

G

Griffith_se

This is out of my league, but what the heck you can always just ignore me.

Instill Energy
Phyrexian Colossus
Dueling Ground?

L

luke twigger

How about Deranged Hermit? Combos well with the Phyrexian Ghoul or provides beatings on his own.

G

galtwish

Engine
4 Birds Of Paradise
1 Llanowar Elf
2 Fyndhorn Elves
4 Academy Rector

Utility
1 Monk Realist
1 Uktabi Orangutan
1 Monk Idealist
1 Tradewind Rider
1 Mystic Snake

Creature Control
1 Masticore
1 Phyrexian Plaguelord
1 Crater Hellion

Random
1 Reya, Dawnbringer
1 Wood Elf
1 Krovikan Horror
1 Bottle Gnomes
1 Deranged Hermit
1 Avalanche Rider
(26)

1 Recurring Nightmare
1 Pernicious Deed
4 Pattern Of Rebirth
1 Worship
1 Opposition
1 Confiscate
1 Seal of Cleansing
(10)

1 High Market
1 City Of Brass
1 Undiscovered Paradise
4 Tropical Island
4 Scrubland
4 Bayou
4 Savannah
5 Forest
(24)

SB:
1 Pygmy Hippo (control)
1 Peacekeeper (Stompy)
1 Man o War (for WW)
3 Sanctimony (Sligh, Sped/Ponza)
4 Duress (Combo/control)
1 Aura Fracture (Oath)
1 Ivory Mask (Combo, Sligh)
1 Oath Of Ghouls (Control)
1 Sacred Ground (Sped/Ponza)
1 City Of Solitude (poss maindeck)

Thinking of an Oath (15-20%), Stompy (10-15%), Sligh (15-25%), Mono-U control (15-25%), and Sped/Ponza (5-10%) type field. Carpet of Flowers is an amazing card if there is a lot of Oath and Mono-U. I don't like the Ghoul trick with (what I feel like will be) a lot of Sligh (kill the Pattern target), Stompy (lots of Chump Blockers like Vine Dryad, and serious enchantment hate after SB) and Force of Will in at least 40% of the decks.

Erik

Z

Zadok001

"I don't like the Ghoul trick with (what I feel like will be) a lot of Sligh (kill the Pattern target)"

That's not legal. When you sack the Rector, they can choose to respond. Then they can choose to respond to the Rector's effect going on the stack. But they CAN'T choose to respond to you getting a Pattern. Once you've started searching through your deck, they have no priority until the enchantment is in play.

"Stompy (lots of Chump Blockers like Vine Dryad, and serious enchantment hate after SB)"

You can always wait until they don't declare blockers to pump (in fact, you always should). And the Enchantment hate shares similar problems to Sligh's destroying the Pattern target - When do they get priority?

"and Force of Will in at least 40% of the decks."

This is a problem. :) But only 3 spells need to resolve, really. Control decks are often a problem, but I find that I can often manage to force through just ONE Pattern or Rector, and I win.

I am curious why everyone runs so many silver bullets. Don't 20 end up clogging your hand?

G

galtwish

I was saying that you'll never have a creature to put Pattern on until you are dead. Ghoul + Rector or Pattern is a turn 3 proposition, and Sligh will have killed your Bird or Elf by then, if not your Ghoul (In response to Rector being cast, Shock/Incinerate...). Timing isn't a concern with a fistfull of burn. Stompy's Vine Dryads will also put the major hurt on you, swinging for 3+ on the first turn. I'm not saying that a Ghoul going large isn't possible, but in Extended, Fireblast, Force Spike, and Force of Will present problems that weren't seen in Saga-Prophecy Type 2.

This might make Chill a reasonable addition to the SB, as it defends your creatures and yourself better that Warmth and Absolute Law. Absolute Law is probably better at what it does (which is why Giz had it there in the first place), but I am leery of Cursed Scroll and Chimeric Idol and Masticore coming at you from Sped or Sligh's SB.

Erik

Z

Zadok001

The way I see it, there's just no real reason not to play a single Saproling Burst over a single other Silver Bullet to give you the threat of turn 3 kills.

G

Gizmo

I guess the Deranged Hermit does the similar job. Besides, turn 3 kill sn`t possible, surely.
Assume Birds, ghoul, rector?
So turn three you can attack for 2 + 8 creatures = 18 damage
How do you kill turn 3?

(Oh wait, worked it out. You rector for pattern on birds, get another rector, THEN get the Burst. Ok, you can kill turn 3. But my point still stands that you never actually do.)

If you look all the 'bullets' pretty much have synergy with the deck. There aren`t actually that many bullets you don`t want to see drawn, maybe the Avatar and the Hellion, Confiscate and Woodripper. If you draw Opposition just cast it... etc etc. I`ve had no problems.
Playing this deck as a combo is putting you onto a lose cos the combo comes off like one game in 10 or something, and then usually only late game when you`ve worn them down. Far more gasmes are won by just digging out the appropriate bullet and hitting them with it (Deed is SO good).

-1 Monk idealist
-1 Bottle Gnomes
-1 Phyrexian Plaguelord
+1 Spike Feeder
+1 Soltari Visionary
+1 Phyrexian Ghoul (until I think of something better, maybe a Meddling Mage if I can get the mana right)

G

galtwish

I think the Ghoul is a little too narrowly focused on beatdown without the Burst for the combo. Plaguelord is a beast that is amazing with Hermit (naturally), hits for 4, and kills Masticore (which nothing else in the deck can do).

And I forgot to replace a Scrubland with a Taiga in my build. oops.

But more seriously, what weapons to you need to beat other decks?

Sligh/Seth Burn Red:
fat butts (Hellion, Reya, Masticore, Verdant Force) and life gain (Bottle Gnomes, Spike Feeder, Radiant's Dragoons)
SB: Stuff that keeps you from dying to Price of Progress

Stompy: Fat butts, life gain, and stuff that keeps them from attacking (Peacekeeper, Spike Weaver)

Oath: Enchantment hate (Visionary, Realist), graveyard hate (Ebony Charm, Furnace, Rapid Decay), hand destruction (Surgeon, Duress), stuff that lives through Hellion/Shard Phoenix (Reya, Masticore), mana control (Riders, Opposition)

Mono-U: Mana control, hand destruction, enchantment hate (Against Back to Basics)

Decks like this: Mana control, graveyard hate

Ponza/Sped/LLL: Mana protection/generation (elves/birds, Sacred Grounds)

WW: Bounce (for the Empyrial Armor and Pro Red), Masticore (make sure he doesn't get StP'd!)

Fruity Pebbles: Enchantment hate, graveyard hate

Any other suggestions?

Erik

Z

Zadok001

I still stand by the Burst. The point isn't that it makes the deck a combo, or reliant on the combo, but simply that by throwing in one copy of a single card, you get to threaten a turn 3 kill. It probably won't happen often. It may not happen at all. But the POSSIBILITY is there, and I think it's worth a single card slot, at least.

Verdant Force is an amazing anti-Sligh weapon, as well as a good source of continuous blockers against other decks. I personally haven't found Reya to be all that great, but I should note that I'm not using the Hermit either (soon to change). It's obviously better with the Hermit around, and I suppose reusing other effects is worth the cost.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I still stand by the Burst. The point isn't that it makes the deck a combo, or reliant on the combo, but simply that by throwing in one copy of a single card, you get to threaten a turn 3 kill. It probably won't happen often. It may not happen at all. But the POSSIBILITY is there, and I think it's worth a single card slot, at least.
That sounds like why people included Channel back in the day... :)

Z

Zadok001

You have to DRAW Channel, a 1/*deck size* chance for every card drawn. For Saproling Burst, you have to AVOID drawing it, a *deck size - 1*/*deck size* chance, much better odds. Then you just have to get what is normally considered a "good start" for the deck: A Birds, Ghoul, and Rector. If you can't use the combo for some reason (blockers, etc), then you're still in great shape, right?

G

galtwish

Zadok, is your "Nameless" handle a reference to Shadowrun?

Erik

Z

Zadok001

Not really, no. :) I originally posted as "Nivelimac," but changed it when the boards changed. Now I'm Nameless, simply because I couldn't think of a good name. "Nameless" seemed both appropriate and a good parallel to Nivelimac.