Selesnya guild deck

K

KingAlanI

I had bene intrigued by the concept of building a Ravnica deck; I chose Selesnya because I felt like playing as the "good guys." When it works, it works really well. When it doesn't work, it bombs...

Oversized, 66 cards. (one reason I like casual Magic is because I can do this.)
All cards are from Ravnica: COG.

Lands (23)
9 Plains
11 Forest
3 Selesnya Sanctuary

Creatures (22)
3 Selesnya Sagittars
3 Selesnya Evangel
2 Conclave Equenaut
2 Selesnya Guildmage
2 Conclave Phalanx
2 Guardians of Vitu-Ghazi
1 Siege Wurm
1 Bramble Elemental
1 Chorus of the Conclave
1 Tolsimir Wolfblood
1 Scion of the Wild
1 Auratouched Mage
1 Elvish Skysweeper
1 Oathsworn Giant

Sorcery (5)
3 Overwhelm
1 Farseek
1 Hour of Reckoning

Enchantment (3)
3 Pollenbright Wings

Instant (10)
3 Seeds of Strength
2 Festival of the Guildpact
2 Dryad's Caress
1 Scatter the Seeds
1 Congregation at Dawn
1 Sundering Vitae

Artifact (3)
3 Selesnya Signet

Suggestions? (besides 'Fists of Ironwood')

A couple things I can think of so far: Might want a 4th Pollenbright Wings, or more Auratouched Mages.

L

Limited

Only 23 lands in a 70 card deck? That doesn't seem like enough to me..

First of all, I'd up the amount of removal. Having a lot and/or big creatures is nice, only one Hour of Reckoning and one Sundering Vitae isn't going to cut it. (Why the Hour of Reckoning? It seems you are playing a lot of creature spells yourself?). I'd suggest finding either Condemn or Devouring Light. An additional Sundering Vitae would also be nice, but Seed Sparks would probably be better.

Next, the casting cost of your creatures is kinda high. I'd look to swap some of the more expensive ones for Guildmages or something. If you play more cheap creatures, convoke will be a lot more effective.

Hope this helps! Please post any changes you make.

K

KingAlanI

I have an extra Sundering Vitae around, perhaps I'll swap that in for one of the big, expensive creatures.

The Hour of Reckoning I have on hand only to use when I have large amounts of Saprolings. Oftentimes, it seems worth it to me to sacrifice the few 'regular' creatures I have out at the time to be able to hit an 'open' opponent with the Saprolings. (especially considering that there's no additional loss in tapping the larger creatures for Convoke)

I like to play the Guildmage's 2nd ability beforehand, the +1/+1 one, for double the fun! :)

23/66 lands (34.8%, equivalent of 21 lands ion a 60-card deck) isn't bad, especially considering the dual lands and the Signets. But I suppose I could add 1 more...

This deck is one I have encased in black tournament protectors (i.e if I want to add more cards, I'd nee dmore sleeves), very annoying that tournament protectors come in packs of 50, to be used with a game that suggests a 60-card deck...Local store doesn't have more packages of black in stock.

Killer Joe

4x Watchwolf (an uncommon from Ravnica)
a 3/3 green/white critter for {G}{W}. Cheap and beefy.

4x Loxodon Heirarch ( a rare from Ravnica)
A solid 4/4 green/white creature that has you gain 4 life when it comes into play and also has the ability to regenerate all of your creatures if you sacrifice it. It costs {2}{G}{W} to play, again, cheap and beefy!

K

KingAlanI

I know about Watchwolf- should've mentioned it.
If the local cardshop charged less for Watchwolf and had more in stock, I'd get some. :)

OOH! Evil combo idea! Combo that loxodon thing with Hour of Reckoning. Tap the loxodon for Convoke if necessary, tap other 'regular' creatures/lands to play Hour, then with Hour on the stack, pay the 2 and sacrifice the loxodon. Regeneration effect resolves, then the destoy effect. Destroy all of my opponet's creatures and keep all of mine, and for free/cheap if I have enough stuff to convoke. :)

I'll check eBay.

K

KingAlanI

Doubling Season added to my wantlist. Double Saprolings, and as a nice side effect, double +1/+1 counters from Chorus of the Conclave's effect.