3x Nomadic Elf

4x Opt
4x Counterspell
4x Exclude
3x Opposition

3x Mystic Snake
4x Gaea's Skyfolk
3x Aether Mutation

Utopia Tree, Nomadic Elf, Kavu Titan, Mystic Snake, and Gaea's Skyfolk support Opposition, with Aether Mutation lending a little help. 12 counterspells assist on backup, and Opt helps you get to Opposition a bit faster. Kills tend to come via a kickered Titan, or the same way Squirrel Prison used to win; strength in numbers.

Thoughts?

C

Captain Caveman

That looks pretty interesting. I'll have to give it a try. Have you
playtested it any?

I

Istanbul

Sadly, no. All I need to make this deck is:
2x Yavimaya Coast
4x Kavu Titan
4x Utopia Tree
3x Opposition
1x Mystic Snake

Bleah. :(

Killer Joe

Saproling Symbiosis? I think it's a green sorcery that gives you a 1/1 token for each creature you have in play. Play it after the mutation and "Wah-Lah"! your opponent is officially STALLED!

I

Istanbul

True...but it's very weak if you don't have many creatures out yet, costs 4 mana, and can't quite be squeezed into the deck without taking something out. Also quite useless for recovery post-Wrath.

Z

Zadok001

I've found that Sleight of Hand is better than Opt, at least in the mono-blue decks I've been playing recently. While the two are very, very close, they both want to be turn 1 plays, and it doesn't matter at that point in the game which one you choose. Opt has a bit more versitility in terms of casting times, but Sleight gives you a better search. A matter of personal preference, but try both.

I

Istanbul

Precisely why I prefer Opt. I have countermagic in here, after all...

I

Istanbul

Just thought of a *great* idea for sideboard.
How do I handle Flagbearers? Green/Blue isn't big on creature destruction.
Simple! Unnatural Selection. Oh, I have to target Flagbearers? That's great, except your Standard Bearer appears to be a Creature - Wombat.

R

RabidKimba

This deck was posted about a week before worlds, and now Saproling-Opposition is the deck to beat at worlds. Even John'O's playing it. Also, Finkel, Budde, Bob Maher, (and more insignificant players when compared to John'O :D) are playing it. Kai Budde was playing:
3 Forest
15 Island
4 Yavimaya Coast
4 Spiketail Hatchling
3 Waterfront Bouncer
4 Counterspell
2 Fact or Fiction
3 Gush
4 Opposition
2 Opt
4 Sleight of Hand
4 Spontaneous Generation
4 Static Orb
4 Thwart

It's pretty much the same concept, get saprolings, and lock your opponent down with Opposition, but it also adds Static Orb to the mix, and uses Spontaneous Generation (MM, Rare (I didn't know this card existed until I heard 7'th was coming out)) with ACC Thwarts and Gushes (thwart gets +2 cards net into your hand, gush gets +3), and Fact or Fiction to get a lot of cards in hand (in some cases 12-13!), and locks you down with 13 new saprolings.

A lot of decks were running Coat of Arms, so their saprolings could be 6/6 or so.

Isty - if you want to keep to the same theme as your old deck pretty much the same, you might want to try adding in Static Orbs, because they're amazing in most decks with Opposition and creatures. Which is yours. :D

Just wanted to point it out.

G

Gizmo

It's pretty much the same concept
Really? I think the decks are very different indeed. Budde`s deck is essentially the same old mono-blue Opp/Orb deck, but with 4 Green spells. It has maybe 10 spells in common with Isty`s deck and maybe 34 with the mono-blue designs.

I

Istanbul

There's also the fact that my deck was built to the 'Masques Block Doesn't Exist' mindset.

This rules out:
Spiketail Hatchling
Waterfront Bouncer
Gush
Spontaneous Generation
Thwart
...18 cards. Roughly 1/3 of the deck.

I'm also going with more green for mana acceleration (Trees, or Birds if I can get them), more creatures (in case Opposition is unruly and refuses to show), and more countermagic (12 cards vs. 8...and Spiketail Hatchling takes a creature away from his build, where Mystic Snake gives me one).

R

RabidKimba

Gizmo - If we're playing the "take sentence fragments from what RabidKimba said" game :D , then:
Originally posted by RabidKimba
It's pretty much the same concept, get saprolings, and lock your opponent down with Opposition.
(desperatly tries to make point) so... ha?
Anyway, I was just trying to point out that the CONCEPT was the same, like my janky Merfolk Looter/Squee/Howling Mine/Saproling Cluster/Static Orb/Opposition deck that I have had on Apprentice since the 7'th spoiler came out.

I

Istanbul

Hurrah! Found and dismantled the deck with 4x Kavu Titan in it. Now all I need is the Oppositions, Trees (or Birds, if I can get them), and one more Mystic Snake. Oh, and two Yavimaya Coasts.

J

Jake74

Originally posted by Istanbul
Hurrah! Found and dismantled the deck with 4x Kavu Titan in it. Now all I need is the Oppositions, Trees (or Birds, if I can get them), and one more Mystic Snake. Oh, and two Yavimaya Coasts.
I have at least a Tree and a Coast... might have 2 of each and a Snake, but i'll have to check at home...
I know you have some cards I'd like.... cough*exodus*cough...

I

Istanbul

Jake - Which Exodus cards did you want? I went out trading today, got all the Trees I need, but I still need a Coast.

Does ANYBODY have any Oppositions? I've decided to raise the count to 4.

I

Istanbul

Out:
3x Nomadic Elf
1x Forest
1x Island
The elves just weren't helping,, and I was drawing more land than I wanted.

In:
2x Jungle Barrier
2x Inspiration
1x Aether Mutation
Card-drawing is good. This deck just BLOWS UP when I cast Aether Mutation, and Jungle Barrier gives me some extra defense.

I

Istanbul

Idea:
Equilibrium. Equilibrium + 2x Mystic Snake = theoretically infinite countermagic.

Got this idea when I played Aether Mutation on my own Mystic Snake to net four 1/1 creatures and another counter. (Yes, I played this deck. Faced off against B/W. Won, too!)

Thoughts?

L

Loafing Giant

only mine has static orb and merfolk to finish

i find that opp. and darting merfolk is quite good during ur turn to clear the fields for attack

opp. ang orb is very good

lets ur opponent untap only two while u untap all

4 rootwater theif
4 lord-atlantis
4 darting merfolk
4 opp.
4 static orb
4 gaea's skyfolk
4 mystic snake
4 utopia tree
4 kavu titan
4 jungle barriar
10 isle
10 forest
4 yavimaya coast

something like that very fast and efficient

M

Mikeymike

Why play Inspiration over Fact or Fiction? FoF is superior in every respect.

BoP or Utopia Tree? Turn 1 BoP gives you access to turn 2 excludes *cough* Yavimaya Barbarian *cough*.

Also, I'd drop a Titan in favor of another Snake as you'll almost always want a Snake over a Titan. A 2/2 counter is better than a vanilla 2/2 with an Opposition out, even if it costs more. Also, with the Opp out, a 5/5 trampler is almost overkill.

Last thing I would say is try to find room for Repulse (remove exclude or opt maybe). Its a great utility cantrip that can bounce back 9 CIP creatures (including the Titan) in your deck back to your hand along with slowing down Senor Opponent.

Put 2 Nemata in your sideboard, as she can easily win the game on her own (is that a she or a he?).

I

Istanbul

Loafy - Trouble is, your build has about two months left on it. After that, you lose Rootwater Thief and Darting Merfolk...which really leaves no reason to play Lord of Atlantis.