Ruling, Please?

Z

Zadok001

I don't think we have any Level 3 or higher judges, but I thought I'd check anyways... Does the Conspiracy naming Kindle trick work with Kindle? Does anyone have an OFFICIAL ruling on this? None of the people I've spoken to can agree on it...

G

Gizmo

(Thinks)
(Thinks)
(Thinks some more)
(Takes some Ibuprofen)
(Has a lie down)

EUREKA!

It doesn`t work, and here`s why - Conspiracy changes the summon type of the creature to Kindle (it has to otherwise it wouldn`t combo with Rebels etc), but when Kindle resolves it isn`t looking for creature cards of summon type Kindle, but for cards named Kindle.
99.9% certain that`s right.

Z

Zadok001

:) I don't think that disallows it. Logic?

Well, the latest errata on Kindle says 'Kindle cards.' And whenever a card (like, say, Rebels) go searching for a creature card, they call it '~creature type~ card.' So, if a creature had type Kindle, it would be a 'Kindle card.'

"Confused? Convinced? Ready to bang the D'Angelo's head against a wall?"

T

theorgg

I've asked four people who said it didn't work and three who say it does.

two of the four, however, said that going to the graveyard effects (saporlings sacked to ash's alter w/ fecuindy) DON"T trigger effects.

custserv@wizards.com didn't reply to any of the four times I asked.

personally, I say it works.

Z

Zadok001

<font size="2" color="#FF6000">* Zadok001 is very impressed by Orgg! </font>

How did you ask so many people so fast?

D

Duel

No, it doesn't work. If it did, then the actual kindle effect wouldn't. Consider, if looking for kindle cards means of a type, then kindles don't fall under the category. they aren't kindle cards, they are instants. It looks for instants named kindle. If there was a card called "rebel" that was a summon soldier, you couldn't bring it out with a rebel-summoner.

T

theorgg

:)

I'd asked this same thing before you posted.

I havn't the foggiest.

Z

Zadok001

You asked the same what, Orgg? :)

Re: Duel

Well... From what I've looked up/read it _would_ work, assuming you can name Kindle as a type. If you'd like, I'll send a a HUGE text file of people discussing it. :)

Z

Zadok001

This is an example of what happens when I have WAY too much time on my hands... :)

I joined a mailing list called MTG-L, basically a bunch of rules questions and answers. Asked them this question. Got five completely different answers. Watched them argue about it all day. Eventually, it was ruled down to a part of K.11.7 (who the hell took the time to look through all those rulings? I went through the first five on Creature Type and gave up!):

***You can choose any creature type that exists on any Magic card in existance. You cannot choose the name of a card in Magic (unless that name is also a creature type), or any word that is in the glossary of the comprehensive rules or is otherwise used to mean something special under the rules. [bethmo 99/11/30]***

Basically, they agreed it doesn't work.

HOWEVER! The beginning of this line makes me question it. It has been ruled that you CAN, in fact, name any noun as a creature type, not just 'any creature type that exists on any Magic card in existance.' So... There are two conflicting rulings in existance simultaneously. I could've sworn nature abhores a paradox, but hey, who said WotC was remotely close to natural? :)

"Still seeking a viable answer..."